Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
redid my web site, big mistake
Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629
Comments: 0

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.52.120.191

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have made the biggest mistake of my photographic business ( so far) and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about possible fixes.

I shoot private glamour, boudoir type images for private use only. I have tried to position myself as classy and upscale. The business has been steadly growing. I decided to upgrade my website, to reflect a more upmarket look.

Somewhere in the process a real person from google had a look at the site and has decided that it is an adult site.

What this means is I can't buy some keywords:
Toronto Photographer
Toronto Boudoir Photographer
Toronto Glamour Photographer

used to be my best selling and clicked through search terms... now I can't buy them.

I used to be on First or Second page for the search term "Toronto Photographer". Now I can't find my listing in the first 15 pages.

This is a real hit for me, 85% of my clients find me through the net.

Has anyone had to deal with Google about something like this? Any suggestions on how to show my work without being branded?

The web site, if you are interested is Toronto Photographer grs photo Yes there are artistic nudes.

Glenn

Re: redid my web site, big mistake
Old 09-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Unfortunately it isn't anyone that determines that. Their spider crawls your web site checking for content (written) and **** tags. if you did you might have put glamor ect in their and that would have put you in adult category.

??? You can't say M--E--T--A-- ON HERE??
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.142

Well indeed you have a problem. Part of it is that the new pages are poorly optimized for the Search Engines so that is one reason why they may have dropped off the radar. When a new site hits and when it has poor SEO stats, if often gets moved into a different index (sometimes called the sandbox or even the supplementary index) where it can stay for up to a year. There is always a danger in a total rework of a site especially if it is currently scoring well in the search engines. Since I make my living doing SEO work for websites, I can't really go into a lot more details, but one of the first steps you're going to have to look into is optimizing the site for the Search Engines.

As for the Google word ads, they do monitor certain items related to nudity but only if it involves prostitution, or underage photography. Since you aren't dealing in those areas (but see note below), there should be no reason for them not to sell you the keywords. My experience tells me, however, that there are details that you haven't given us yet or that you might not be aware of. Google does not just arbitrarily shut down a word ad campaign. I have run dozens of Google AdWord campaigns with some of them spending as much as $30,000 a month, so I have quite a bit of knowledge in this area.

One other thing that may have happened is that a banned site was linking to you and that often will get a site caught up in one of Google's purges of sites. See the screen shot I made with what I typed in to find this information(The site in question is now banned, so you won't be able to see how they linked to you or why - keep in mind that the link could disappear from the index at any time, so you save a screen shot of the Search Engine results)

Also it looks like the second link is a link farm (the one at the bottom of the screen shot) and that can also get you demoted or banned from the search engine. Links are very important to a website's rankings and you don't appear to have any good links. Generally a first page site with have at least 10 to 20 good inbound links from respected sites.

Bottom line, if you would like to talk further, drop me a PM.

Hope the above will point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks rfs

There is a lot to digest.
After a chat with google today adwords are now running... my site now seems to be classed as 'Non-Family Safe' and keywords are now available.... something they were not yesterday.

As for SEO I know there is some work to be done there.

Glenn

Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.142

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwphoto View Post
Unfortunately it isn't anyone that determines that. Their spider crawls your web site checking for content (written) and **** tags. if you did you might have put glamor ect in their and that would have put you in adult category.

??? You can't say M--E--T--A-- ON HERE??
Yes, its strange. However, you can use metadata or metatags -- otherwise you must do what you just did by putting spaces, etc between the letters. This word may be some sort of security thing to avoid having people seed posts with metatag information that would be used for linking tactics through the use of forums.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 64.12.117.136

What if I said I **** model from ***? lol

First word m-e-t-a, second O-M-P (which is odd since I thought that wasn't a "four-letter word around here any longer).

Dave

Old 09-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 66.183.218.26

Nope, still is....even if it is only 3 letters.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36687

Sean_Michaels is offline IP: 70.48.30.143

FYI Glenn, I searched Toronto Glamour Photographer. You were near the bottom of the first page, just above Wayne Chow.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels

Old 10-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks Sean

I talked with google, I am now "non family safe" which is fine. I now show up in searches and in the keyword ads.

Toronto Glamour photographer is not as important to me as Toronto Photographer ( last check page three)... very few people search for a glamour photographer.

Glenn

Old 10-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.120.142

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsphoto View Post
Thanks Sean

I talked with google, I am now "non family safe" which is fine. I now show up in searches and in the keyword ads.

Toronto Glamour photographer is not as important to me as Toronto Photographer ( last check page three)... very few people search for a glamour photographer.

Glenn
Well your home page is one problem. Its in the root of your domain, but the rest of your site is in a sub folder and the Home button in the rest of the site doesn't go back to the original entry page which gives that page an effective 0 page rank. It much better to have all your pages link back to your real home page and have that be the page that targets best the "toronto photographer" phrase. You then need to seed that phrase on each other page and Instead of having a link that says "Home", have it say "Toronto Photographer Home page". This will in time boost all of your pages, but may help the home page get higher than the bottom of the 3rd page. But there are other factors also, and each optimizing step needs to be included for optimum results. Good luck.
Cheers,
rfs