Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
There's a new riding hood in town
Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey wolves, there is a new riding hood.

Let me describe my little story.
There's this new little red riding hood, visiting the forrest from Tennessee. She's off to grandma's house.

when the wolf approaches her, she seems a bit more confident that the "other" riding hood

not even afraid to offer a cookie to the wolf

Yes Mr Wolf, I've got just what you need....

Then there is a break from "Mr wolf" (its 92 degrees) for the photographer to have a cool beverage and for the MUA to "touch things up".

Now where were we.. Oh yeah.

So, Dog show me big bad now.

Wrong answer

did it move?

Fun shoot, great bunch of people.
The model owns the pistols and there were experts there as well to make sure we stayed safe.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Re: There's a new riding hood in town
Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OH. NO! Another debate about guns. Oh well-----. Be another long thread. But I LIKE. Good job.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 09-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

debate heck, I was beginning to worry if anyone would comment at all.

Thanks!!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.52.120.191

Auto White Balance...

Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsphoto View Post
Auto White Balance...
WOW, gee thanks for the detailed description and your use of graphics to to point out your concerns.

But most of all I like the wonderful images in your port that show exactly how I'm supposed to set my camera. And your example image is just.....

missing

[shrug]

Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
WOW, gee thanks for the detailed description and your use of graphics to to point out your concerns.

But most of all I like the wonderful images in your port that show exactly how I'm supposed to set my camera. And your example image is just.....

missing

[shrug]
Sorry

If you can't see or are not concerned by the colour shifts caused by using AWB then no amount of explaination by me is going to help you out.

Just ignore my comment.

an example of an image that would have been distroyed if I used AWB

Glenn
Last edited by grsphoto; 09-28-2007 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: changed image link location

Old 09-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.142

Even though no rule 10 photo was supplied, nevertheless the comment was right on. Each of your shots looks like it has a different color balance but all of the shots seem to be in the same general lighting. One would thus expect the same or similar color balance for each shot. The shots range from cool to overly warm. Shooting in shaded areas often gives this problem. There are several ways to address the problem. One is to do custom white balance. Then try to control the light as much as possible through reflectors or fill flash to get a consistent lighting to the shots. This can be a real challenge in a story telling type of sequence. The problem with AWB is that it gives a different WB for each shot where you really want he same WB for each shot that is shot in similar lighting as are these.

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

I also find that several of the shots could probably be better cropped (such as 2, 4 and 6).

On a higher level note, when telling a story one usually wants the shots to look more natural rather than posed. Some of the shots in the sequence are very static as if you had her pose and look at the camera. #1 for example would be better if she was caught in mid step and perhaps was looking over her shoulder with some trepidation, etc. The same would apply to the rest. In other words can you make the sequence look like a real sequence of events in the story line. Here is a shot from my D i c k Tracey sequence.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsphoto View Post
an example of an image that would have been distroyed if I used AWB
Glenn,

Beautiful image above. Given that this image does appear to have been taken late in the evening when the sun has a predominate red color cast, how did you set your white balance? I note that her dress, where lit, is pure white.

My guess--please correct me if I am wrong--is that you calibrated you white balance for the light source lighting her dress?

A more general question is, if you are working with natural light only in the late evening, then is your best route to set your white balance to a figure of about 6000K?

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 09-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

This image was taken at about 11pm... the colour is from sodium vapour lamps with a flash set-up camera right.

You are right, my white blance is set for flash. I have no idea what it would have looked like If I hade let the camera decide the white balance.

This is another image were I used flash and ambient... I shoot RAW so I usually adjust the WB to suit what I want to see.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Hi Glenn,

Thank you Glenn for your explanations. I shoot raw as well. When shooting in the late evening hours, I tend to set my Canon 20D white balance to 6000K (though it shows up in Photoshop at 5750K). And then I adjust to suit once in Photoshop.

Again, thank you for your explanation.

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk