Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Critique the MUA
Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671
Comments: 0

gaborm is offline IP: 70.245.242.103

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

These are images straight out of the camera resized for web and sharpened.

I shot this girl a while back and when the MUA asked what kind of make up I was looking for, I told her to surprise me.
Well, she did.

I guess it's OK to critique her work since the MUA will remain anonymous.

View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm

Re: Critique the MUA
Old 09-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.166.56

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well Commander... all I can say is, " if this was what you were after - well done." The make-up artist did her job exactly as you requested. Hell... it surpised the **** out of me.

Like everything else in the image - the good and bad rests on YOUR shoulders. If people hate it - they hate the decision you made. If they love it - they should compliment you. The artist was an instrument in your creation.

My instruction to the make-up artist in the above image was, " Go spend some time with the kids - and have a pizza on me."

So how do you feel about your decision Gaborm?

christian

Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

gaborm is offline IP: 66.82.9.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
So how do you feel about your decision"

You know, I guess I learned one lesson, not to let somebody else play with their ideas in my sandbox.
Thanks for the nice words. The more I read your comments on this forum the more you make me believe, that you're a Dr. Phil of photography.
and I mean this a nice way.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 68.229.31.17

you hired an MUA and "surprise me" was the direction you gave him/her?

dude....

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.75.44.88

I think a MUA is going to take that phrase as a challenge. Reminds me of the time John Stossel interviewed David Schults. He was asking for it too.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 09-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

I am waiting for Benson and Stabler from SVU to show up at your door to investigate the brutal beating of a model. Looks to me like she was in the ring the night before.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 09-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57890

sukidr350 is offline IP: 69.15.164.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post

dude....
LMAO.. that was great
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sukidr350 Find More Posts by sukidr350

Old 09-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46114

dledeaux is offline IP: 75.1.77.69

Yeah ... hmm ... you need to learn a few MUA industry key terms like "smokey eyes" or "natural". I normally have a lot of input in the makeup, just as I do with the lighting and outfits. And it's not uncommon for me to ask for changes to the makeup before the first shot is ever fired. It's my creation and I insist on having creative control over each and every aspect.

View Public Profile Send a private message to dledeaux Visit dledeaux's homepage! Find More Posts by dledeaux

Old 09-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

gaborm is offline IP: 66.82.9.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post

dude....

lol. No, she paid for it, but they asked my opinion what I wanted.
Since I didn't see anything in the girl to start with, I told them might as well just do whatever they want.
She did a wonderful job today on another girl who hired her. Sorry no pictures yet.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.166.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborm View Post
lol. No, she paid for it, but they asked my opinion what I wanted.
Since I didn't see anything in the girl to start with, I told them might as well just do whatever they want.
She did a wonderful job today on another girl who hired her. Sorry no pictures yet.
** If this moment were on tv - the slow music would be starting about now. Life lessons are learned on tv to slow playing piano. **

What you wrote speaks novels about who you are as an artist, a professional... and a person. It shames me, the others on G1, those who have opted to work with you, and mostly ( well I hope ) it shames you.

We have a saying that goes like this: " If you can't help someone - then at least don't hurt them."

Consider this: Imagine you were looking to improve your book. You find an agency model who's actually willing to work with you. Further, you find a good stylist and MUA. Now imagine that none of them believe in your work - so none of them put real effort into making what you're hoping will be a smash hit. The model puts whoever she's gabbing with on her cell on hold for a second - and says, " Look, just hit the button... she's telling me about a fight between her and her boyfriend." Instead of helping watch for details - the MUA is reading a gossip rag. The stylist just brought a hand full of clothes from her "dirty clothes hamper." Now how does what you wrote feel - deep down?

IF you were blessed with any degree of talent at all and you're not willing to tap into it for someone - then pass them to the next photo team. I would have taken her and done something smashing with her. Instead - she ended up with "whatever" you were willing to bother yourself by doing.

** Music goes dark and deep - the screen flickers in slow motion. The camera pans down and you see a cluster of men with crossed arms and disturbed faces. **

Now listen up newbie! You're not half as fcuking good as you might think you are - and nobody owes you a chance to move forward. I hope many people read what you wrote and are as offended as I am. I hope models you don't deserve start booking shoots with you - let you jump through hoops getting ready for the shoot of your life and then email you this thread when you're waiting for them to arrive. I hope another shooter in your area with less of an ego takes that model and mua and makes images that make you look like the talentless little bitch who wrote that crap. Then I hope they come here and laugh at you.

Now when you're good and ready to pull your head out of your ass - and realize just where on the totem pole you really are... I would suggest you call that model and mua and see if you can't right this little fcuk up of yours. And I hope our little saying is burned in your head forever.