Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Has anyone used Canon 40D yet?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 68.60.249.230

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I knew I was up for an upgrade, but not too soon. When Canon 40 D came out I was going to wait for them to iron out some kinks in the system. Last weekend my 10 D started to act up and it's now in repair shop. Next week I am going on the cruise with Dave Blecman's group so I I need a reliable camera without breaking the bank account. Found a body of 40 D for just slightly over $1K, but I am skitish buying it without knowing anything about it. If someone on this forum already has one and used it please share your feeling about it. Thanks.

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Re: Has anyone used Canon 40D yet?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340
Comments: 0

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.250.252.79

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A fellow Chicago suburbanite!

If you buy it, let me know how you like it. I'm considering putting my 30D up on EBay and buying the 40D.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 97.96.254.236

There is a guy named Joeyk on model mayhem that has one. He likes his from what he has been telling everyone.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.209.199

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
I knew I was up for an upgrade, but not too soon. When Canon 40 D came out I was going to wait for them to iron out some kinks in the system. Last weekend my 10 D started to act up and it's now in repair shop. Next week I am going on the cruise with Dave Blecman's group so I I need a reliable camera without breaking the bank account. Found a body of 40 D for just slightly over $1K, but I am skitish buying it without knowing anything about it. If someone on this forum already has one and used it please share your feeling about it. Thanks.

I played with one for about and hour and found it very quick and responsive. I owned a 10D for several years and currently have a 20D. The 20D was much better than the 10D. The 30D was only a tiny bit better than the 20D, but the 40D really looks like a dandy jump up from the 20D and a fantastic jump from the 10D. Things like Live View, dust cleaning, better autofocus, several megapixels higher sensor and better ISO control make it a great buy.
I moderate a list of Canon digital SLR users and a several are already playing with the 40D and are raving about how nice it is.

The other thing is about buying one at any price that is more than a few dollars below the normal selling price of $1299 for a body. There are lots of scam companies out there that will low ball the price, and then attempt one or more scams as a followup if you order. So, check them first on some place like http://www.resellerratings.com/

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks for your input. After talking to some more people and posting on glamourmodels.com it board it gave me confidence to go ahead and order one. Broadway Photo in New York had a best price, $1049.00 for the body. Of course that did amount to more for battery grip, extra muscle bateries and fast betteries charger, for this package they threw in a 3 year exteded warranty. The UPS sent in a tracking order with scheduled delivery for today, but if I get it tomorrow I'll be one happy trooper. This will give me a week to make the quantum leap and learn the controls of it before I sail off to the Caribbean. Thanks again, I'll post again upon return from the cruise and give you my impression.

Heather was shot just before my 10D started to have attitude problems. This was done in Art Ketchum's studio, the place is full of resources of all kinds.

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.209.199

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
[font=arial,helvetica,verdana,comic sans ms][size=3]Thanks for your input. After talking to some more people and posting on glamourmodels.com it board it gave me confidence to go ahead and order one. Broadway Photo in New York had a best price, $1049.00 for the body. Of course that did amount to more for battery grip, extra muscle bateries and fast betteries charger, for this package they threw in a 3 year exteded warranty. The UPS sent in a tracking order with scheduled delivery for today, but if I get it tomorrow I'll be one happy trooper. This will give me a week to make the quantum leap and learn the controls of it before I sail off to the Caribbean. Thanks again, I'll post again upon return from the cruise and give you my impression.
I hope you have good luck with this order. But Broadway Photo has a horrible reputation. Here is a link to reviews:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

They are rated 1.5 on a scale of 0 to 10.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Roger, I hope too that I have a better luck than some of those people who wrote their reviews. If they do something that is not according to the agreement I may just ask my bank to debit their account and put the money back into my credit card account. That's the only way to deal when bait and switch is used by a merchant. Thanks for your warning.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

EUREKA!!! I'VE GOT IT! Canon 40 D came this late afternoon. As I was warned by Roger about possible problems with Broadway Photo, I can say they delivered as they said they would, but I was sold batteries that I was told I'll need because my 10 D's batteries won't fit, NOT TRUE. So I got couple of extra betteries, these I probably will use on long trips. Surprise, surprise, I also ordered battery grip and I thought I will need those extra batteries, but the grip has a removable magazine which holds six AA batteries and I got about thirty rechargable AAs. I'm already in love with this camera, I've a feeling I'll stay up late looking at all those erogenous features and tickling them just to see what each does.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340
Comments: 0

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.250.252.79

I believe the 40D uses the BP-511A? Your 10D would be BP-511. Despite many debates, the batteries are for all intents and purposes identical although the 511 is rated 1300mAh whereas the A version is 1800. The A version is issued with their video cameras, whereas the non-A version wasn't that I can recall.

You shouldn't have any issue using the older non-A with your 40D -- although with "live view" you might eat them faster!
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

First image with canon 40D last evening nearly at dusk. This camera extends its ability in low light, the 10D would have not produce this image. Image was taken with the Canon lens 75-300mm IS.