Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
1st Timer, C&C welcome
Old 09-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58572
Comments: 0

smtalha is offline IP: 90.200.180.46

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,
I tired for 1st time yesterday to take a few decent looking photos of my friend. they are not excatly 100% perfect as some of the pro photographers on G1 but Ive tried my best. I would welcome comments and tips that would highlight my mistakes and how me how I can take better photos for next time. Thank.
P.s. i took these photos on a black background with a single compact flourcesent blub and a silver reflector. Camera Fuji s9500. Some of the pics came out blury may be because I had the shutter speed at 10-25 in some cases.

photo 1
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 

photo 2
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 

photo 3
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 

photo 4
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 

photo 5
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 

photo 6
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 

photo 7
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 

photo8
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 

photo 9
Click for larger version
1st Timer, C&C welcome 
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Re: 1st Timer, C&C welcome
Old 09-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58983

tintype is offline IP: 24.19.122.105

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm thinking of the Sultans palace in Istanbul, or Samarkand, a road of silk and a long time ago. Let the photo pro's pick at it. You have captured something.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tintype Find More Posts by tintype

Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

I will let those better qualified provide you with some comments. You will find, however, that you will get many more comments if you post one or two photos at a time.

When you post more, others are unwilling to spend the effort to comment on each one and do not know which one or two are most important to you.

As a suggestion, you might wish to edit your list of photos, pick your best couple, and then ask for critiques on those.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57288

Viajero is offline IP: 208.54.95.24

She has a very exotic look, could turn into a pretty good model with some practice. If you two can work together and develop both of your efforts I expect that we'll be seeing some really good stuff before too long.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Viajero Visit Viajero's homepage! Find More Posts by Viajero

Old 09-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.209.199

Well they are pretty much all soft, and I'm not sure that was your intention. You mention the slow shutter speed and that is likely the key culprit as it is very difficult to get sharp photos when handholding at such a slow speed with hot lights. I would normally shoot using a tripod under such conditions. Most of the photos also suffer from poor cropping choices. I don't know whether this was in camera, or in post. The color balance across the range of photos is inconsistent, but can be controlled by using CWB or a consistent method of post production. Photo #6 is the best of the lot because it has the better cropping (but even then the cropping could have been better) and is the only one that is not blurry. Generally all of the photos suffer somewhat from inadequate background separation. A hair light and a background light could help here. As already suggested, if you want more exact comments, just post 1 or two photos that you think are best examples of your work, and then perhaps we can oblige you. Also, to end on a positive note, I think that with the right control of the details and better lighting, you can get some great results from this model and the look and feel of the scene.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

I agree with most everything Mr Smith said. except the best photo is number three. Because of the crop its slightly sharper and it fits the "rule of thirds" better.

I also agree with stecyk that there are too many photos to examine them all.
post the best. ( why would we want to see a photo you call "NOT" your best)

edit: forgot the required image.

View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.29.47

My best advice is, "Shoot more!" It's the way all of us improve.

I look back at much of my early stuff -- which at the time I thought was great -- and realize it had a lot of flaws. Here's one from about '97...

Another 10 years and I'm sure I'll look back on the stuff I shoot today and see it differently.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58572

smtalha is offline IP: 90.200.180.46

hmm... no problem, ur advice taken on board and next time il post selected few photos for examinatioon sorry about that

i still remember your post RFS about using rhe CWB, next time il definetly use that.

I guess that the shutter speed was the culprit and next time il try to ahve the shuitter speed faster and biger apature to let in more light to compensate for the darkness. In fact I had the camera on tripod and then tried a few shots without it abt on the display unit on the camera it looked fine until i uploaded it onto the PC.

Tell me a bit mroe about the cropping, how could have i cropped it otherwise. or may be my compositioning was wrong. i tired to stick with the 1/3 rule.

So as a conclusion would it be right to assume that the photos are basically not up to scratch even if the photos werent blury?

Thnx CHUCK well i guess one has to start from somehwere, hopefully with a lot of practice and some mentoring from you guys il improve but even your photo from '97 is way better than mine

VIAGERO: well the model is my friend, she hasnt done much modelling before but was willing to help me with this shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Well they are pretty much all soft, and I'm not sure that was your intention. You mention the slow shutter speed and that is likely the key culprit as it is very difficult to get sharp photos when handholding at such a slow speed with hot lights. I would normally shoot using a tripod under such conditions. Most of the photos also suffer from poor cropping choices. I don't know whether this was in camera, or in post. The color balance across the range of photos is inconsistent, but can be controlled by using CWB or a consistent method of post production. Photo #6 is the best of the lot because it has the better cropping (but even then the cropping could have been better) and is the only one that is not blurry. Generally all of the photos suffer somewhat from inadequate background separation. A hair light and a background light could help here. As already suggested, if you want more exact comments, just post 1 or two photos that you think are best examples of your work, and then perhaps we can oblige you. Also, to end on a positive note, I think that with the right control of the details and better lighting, you can get some great results from this model and the look and feel of the scene.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Old 09-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.209.199

Here is a quick example of re-cropping one of your photos using the rule of thirds.

I did a horizontal and a vertical and your original is in the middle. It would be better to have done it in the camera because often when you start with an already cropped photo its hard to get it just right.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.29.47

Opening the aperature is certainly a way to get a faster shutter -- but it might introduce blur due to a shallow depth of field.

Your camera has pretty noise free high ISO. You might want to try bumping the ISO to give you a faster shutter rather than opening the aperature. Better yet, try both and see what seems to work.

We all have had shots look good on the camera LCD only to be disappointed with the actual image. Your camera likely has the ability to zoom the LCD image. For portraits, the best thing to check is the eyes. Zoom the LCD to just an eye. If the iris is blurry, you should see that before you get to the PC.

You mentioned a tripod? Post 1 or 2 of your best using the tripod. That way you'll get opinions on things other than fixing the blur.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck