Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
When Retouch is Not Ok
Old 09-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58983
Comments: 0

tintype is offline IP: 24.19.122.105

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm in awe of some of the work I see here and have really learned a lot. Someday I'll catch up. It's been said that if you ever screw up a shoot and make some lovely lady look bad she'll never forgive you. For some of you I guess you might even be visiting a lawyer. But when is retouching not appropriate? I'll plead guilty of second guessing but when is fixing crows feet or a blemish or jowl not P.C. ? Do you ask your client do you mind if I make cosmetic changes? Leaving them to interpret that as you notice some "imperfection". How about teenagers? Needless to say they are extremely sensitive to body image and could be easily hurt. Are there times when it is correct to not notice? (think of Jessica Simpsons ads on TV) This came about as I have been asked to take on something for someone who can't engage a pro. I want to do a good job and remain sensitive.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tintype Find More Posts by tintype

Re: When Retouch is Not Ok
Old 09-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 66.188.97.26

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I ask. Sometimes they say do whatever you think is best, sometimes they say they want to look natural. I usually don't do anything a good makeup artist wouldn't be able to do.
MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 09-03-2007, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55407
Send a message via MSN to natalia.Taffarel Send a message via Skype™ to natalia.Taffarel

natalia.Taffarel is offline IP: 201.213.222.188

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintype View Post
I'm in awe of some of the work I see here and have really learned a lot. Someday I'll catch up. It's been said that if you ever screw up a shoot and make some lovely lady look bad she'll never forgive you. For some of you I guess you might even be visiting a lawyer. But when is retouching not appropriate? I'll plead guilty of second guessing but when is fixing crows feet or a blemish or jowl not P.C. ? Do you ask your client do you mind if I make cosmetic changes? Leaving them to interpret that as you notice some "imperfection". How about teenagers? Needless to say they are extremely sensitive to body image and could be easily hurt. Are there times when it is correct to not notice? (think of Jessica Simpsons ads on TV) This came about as I have been asked to take on something for someone who can't engage a pro. I want to do a good job and remain sensitive.

DON'T change face features

DON'T Blur the skin

DON'T eliminate really notisable beauty marks

DON'T make any "big" changes on body. If you're working with a female model, then a little more boobs, a little less hips (Being LITTLE the main word here)

DON'T do anything a good MUA couldn't do

Often what WE think is beautiful is not for the client's eyes.

Keep it NATURAL.

Good luck.

xx

Natalia
  View Public Profile Send a private message to natalia.Taffarel Visit natalia.Taffarel's homepage! Find More Posts by natalia.Taffarel

Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.60.158

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia.Taffarel View Post

DON'T Blur the skin

DON'T make any "big" changes on body. If you're working with a female model, then a little more boobs, a little less hips (Being LITTLE the main word here)

Keep it NATURAL.

Natalia
Amen, and hallelujah sister.

May the heathen see the light, and find the path to righteousness.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 09-05-2007, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia.Taffarel View Post

DON'T Blur the skin

Keep it NATURAL.

Good luck.
I agree with all this advice ... especially - "DON'T do anything a good MUA wouldn't do." Personally, I retouch ALL my pictures. Sometimes it's simply whitening their teeth, sometimes it's a major makeover. IMO, if retouching is done correctly, and not too heavy handed, then client shouldn't notice it.

In an ironical note -- since I retouch ALL my pictures, word has spread and today about 90% of the models and other clients who shoot with me ASK me to retouch their images. They all want to look like the models on the magazine covers.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 09-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 66.183.218.26

If you were born with it...it stays.
If you woke up with it this morning...it goes.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 75.121.18.246

I agree with what has been said and will add a little to it. On facial retouching, I do not remove permanent moles or beauty marks. Even on pageant girls. I will remove zits or things of that nature (the temporary stuff). If they have bags under their eyes, I will use the clone tool set to 30% (lighten mode) and soften them but not totally eliminate them. On older clients, I make a layer...retouch with a slightly heavy hand on lines and wrinkles...then lower the opacity of the layer to let a little of the "character" of the person show. I generally save the two layers in case they don't like it so I can change the opacity to their taste. If in doubt, I will do what I think is reasonable then print an inkjet proof for them to view before I send the image to the lab. On full length photos, I check for love handles or bulges that the person will definitely not like. But I don't normally "trim" the whole body unless requested. Most of the time, at the end of a session I will ask that the person stay for a few minutes while I download the images. Then I will let them view the thumbnails and pick one out so I can "play" with it a little while they watch and get a feel for what they want or don't want. That's just what works for me. Rick from Arkansas "Arkie"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie