Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What's your vote...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.39.97

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

for the best photo hosting service out there? There's Flikr, SmugMug, Imageshack, photobucket,etc. and the list goes on. There's different plans from free to "PRO" for $$$/year.

What do you use and why is it best?

I really just want the ability to get to a photo from anywhere I am and also to have a safe backup for my images. I'm happy to have other features but those are must-haves. What do you suggest?

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Re: What's your vote...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.122.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
for the best photo hosting service out there? There's Flikr, SmugMug, Imageshack, photobucket,etc. and the list goes on. There's different plans from free to "PRO" for $$$/year.

What do you use and why is it best?

I really just want the ability to get to a photo from anywhere I am and also to have a safe backup for my images. I'm happy to have other features but those are must-haves. What do you suggest?
None of the above.

Best way to do what you want is simply to buy your own domain name ($9.20 per year) and then inexpensive hosting. You can find hosts that will provide from 5gb to 50gb of space for between $30 and $90 per year. I've been using two different hosts in that price range (on high and low) for over 5 years and they have always worked and are easy to use.

You can then install a free piece of software like Gallery or Coppermine for example if you want a gallery type photo system. Or you can just use the free filemanager that comes with the control panels for your own server to upload photos from anywhere.

I have my screen capture program, for example (Snagit) set up to automatically allow me to save captures directly to my server. You can also do direct ftp access in a number of ways.

When you go with any of the commerical services you mention, you are always at their mercy. It may be ads, it may be inability to post links, it may be limit on size of images, etc. With your own server, you control everything.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

You also need to read the agreements on some of those image hosting sites. By accepting and using their services, in some cases you grant the company rights to use your images. Like RFS says, it's pretty cheap to get a lot of space these days (I just signed on with hostpapa.ca with a 300 GB package at just over $100 CDN per year - INCLUDING domain registration).

Cheers!
njw
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.155

When you have your own domain you simply put your photos in a seprate file from your web site . Lable it photos or anything you like and type in the addy and their it is. all by its self. and you are the only one who can get to them without you tell someone elce where they are. You can check out my people at

http://netfirms.com

Have ben with them for ever and they have never let me down yet.

Oh yea and you can ftp them up np.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.228.245

Thanks everybody for the comments.

OK, well I already have the domain name, just haven't built a site yet. Not enough hours in the day right now but I want to learn to do it so I'm don't want to hire it out - won't learn that way.

I've been looking at SmugMug per someone else's recommendation and for $60/year, you get unlimited space and, I think, the ability to have your galleries served up to your website when someone clicks the galleries menu. I know the more expensive $150/yr package has the Cname ability. I also want a central place where I don't have to load images into multiple sites I participate in.

Looking at this, I thought this might also be a great way to have backups to the images on my hard disc in case I lost a disc. If you get

*UNLIMITED image upload at original file sizes
*Central repository for image linking to different sites
*Backup of images
*etc.

For $60-150/year, that seems like a decent deal. But I wasn't sure if there were other services that are as good or better for comprable or less money. Or if there are any big negatives to these services.

Now which services make you grant them rights to the images?

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

The hosting sites do have one advantage, they will sell your photos for you.

A web gallery can be created with photoshop or any of a hundred programs.

A birder friend decided to do a web site. He knows nothing about HTML so I wrote his front page for him. Now all he does to modify a gallery is generate it and copy it to the appropriate folder. (here is his site, its simple, and clean http://www.charlescaptures.com/ )
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 08-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.122.151

Quote:
Thanks everybody for the comments.

OK, well I already have the domain name, just haven't built a site yet. Not enough hours in the day right now but I want to learn to do it so I'm don't want to hire it out - won't learn that way.

I've been looking at SmugMug per someone else's recommendation and for $60/year, you get unlimited space and, I think, the ability to have your galleries served up to your website when someone clicks the galleries menu. I know the more expensive $150/yr package has the Cname ability. I also want a central place where I don't have to load images into multiple sites I participate in.

Looking at this, I thought this might also be a great way to have backups to the images on my hard disc in case I lost a disc. If you get

*UNLIMITED image upload at original file sizes
*Central repository for image linking to different sites
*Backup of images
*etc.

For $60-150/year, that seems like a decent deal. But I wasn't sure if there were other services that are as good or better for comprable or less money. Or if there are any big negatives to these services.

Now which services make you grant them rights to the images?
First of all, Unlimited never means that. If you try to upload beyond a certain limit, they'll just terminate your account. So at the very beginning they start with a fraudlent claim.

Second are some of the statements in their terms of service. For example:

"SmugMug may terminate your account or your access to and use of the Services, with or without cause at any time and effective immediately, at SmugMug's sole discretion, for any reason, including but not limited to your failure to conform with these Terms."

Here is what they say about the use of your photos:

"Unless we indicate otherwise, if you upload Content, including any Media, to the SmugMug site, you grant SmugMug a nonexclusive, royalty-free right to publish, distribute and display the Content as we deem appropriate in providing the Services authorized or requested by you, including the right to use the name that is submitted in connection with such Content. You further understand and agree that, in order to help ensure smooth operation of our system, we may keep backup copies of Content indefinitely."

So, even if you termnate, they can keep copies and they can use them as they "deem appropriate".

Further, if you plan to post photos to forums such as G1, they state:

"SmugMug must remain a safe site for families with children, so we prohibit the uploading and display of photographs or other Media portraying explicit nudity that would be unacceptable in a public museum where minors visit, for example. If your photos would only be suited for adult sites, adult magazines, or R-rated movies, they are not suitable for SmugMug.

Judgement of suitable Media is the sole discretion of SmugMug, and SmugMug reserves the right to delete any photographs or other Media it deems to violate this policy and/or to cancel the account of any subscriber who posts photos or other Media violating this policy."

For the above reasons, I would not recommend SmugMug or any of the sites of this sort since they all have similar statements to above.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375

jimmyd is offline IP: 209.77.246.75

Quote:

I've been looking at SmugMug per someone else's recommendation and for $60/year, you get unlimited space
SmugMug is a great deal. My g/f has an account there and swears by it, especially considering the price. But take a look at the TOS (Terms of Service), specifically as it relates to nudity and even "R" rated images. If you intend to store any of that sort of stuff on SmugMug, you might find it violates their terms and your account will be terminated.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 64.60.153.26

PBase...$23 per year for 500MB and never had a restriction on content. I can access it any where in the world. I use Seagate portable hard drives and DVD's and each are in different locations (double backup system).

I remember reading about the professional photographer that had all his work stored online and the service went out of business. He said he had 48 hours to download all his work back to his site or it was gone!

As for traffic, my friend in San Diego averages 3,000,000 page views per year!

http://www.pbase.com/schutze/profile

Jim

Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Quote:
...For $60-150/year, that seems like a decent deal. But I wasn't sure if there were other services that are as good or better for comprable or less money. Or if there are any big negatives to these services.
Roger's shown you how the SmugMug can screw you without using any lube and you have no recourse if you sign up with them. So unless you're really dense, you'll stay away from them ... far, far, away.

Photo hosting for $48/yr (40 MB, daily backups, FTP, etc.) or Basic Web Hosting with 200 MB, unlimited data transfer (much different than 'unlimited storage'), etc for $96/yr (since you already own your own domain name)... look at photogserver.com . Jim hosts many photographers and photo forum accounts, has no problem with legal content, and gives very personalized service. Highly recommended on this end.

g'luck

Wayne