Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Kelly 8-19-07
Old 08-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40740
Comments: 0

mhsoftail is offline IP: 71.207.125.241

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

taken outdoors (yesterday) on a very cloudy day, even rained a little. I used 2 sb800 to light and used warming gels to add a setting sun look.

the model has been going thourgh a Hard time and just wanted to do something to make her feel better about herself. After going back to my office and looking at them she felt great and (happy) cryed a little.

comment welcome!

View Public Profile Send a private message to mhsoftail Visit mhsoftail's homepage! Find More Posts by mhsoftail

Re: Kelly 8-19-07
Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 71.129.176.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You have to be careful how you pose models, like Kelly, who are more on the voluptuous side. The first image is great from that perspective. The second image not so much. The third image also works and, with a bit of simple work with the "liquify" tool, you could slim her upper right arm a bit and I'll bet she'll be even happier!

Composition works nicely in one and three although, personally, I'd crop #3 with a bit less headroom. In #2, I think you could crop out the bare mid-section. She also has a bit too much of the amputated arm syndrome going on in #2.

Did you sharpen these images? They seem a tad soft.

Lighting is a little flat for my tastes. Not overly, but a bit. In #3, there's some color distortion (yellow) which probly is the result of your gel on that light source.

#1, IMO, is the "keeper" of the three. You might try sharpening her eyes and mouth, and a bit on her wardrobe and the bike, just a bit.

Nice work!

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.125.40

Well jimmyd has already said most of what needs to be noted. I don't care for the color balance on #3. #1 seems to have the best color balance. How did you manage to get a different color balance for each? Are you shooting Auto White Balance, perhaps? If so, you are usually better off to control your WB so that it is consistent between a range of images. #1 is definitely the best and really makes to model much trimmer. I think I would have cropped a little less tightly for #1, however. These kinds of images usually work best if the eyes are sharp even if other areas are soft. I wonder if you applied softness after the fact or whether you just failed to do adequate sharpening to balance out the basic softness that comes from shooting digital.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks Jimmy,
No I did not do any sharpening to the images. I'll work on that!

I looked at my settings on my camera and I have the image recording set on soft due to a seminar I took and the speaker said to do that. The reasoning was at normal or sharp setting can make the images to "ridgid" and edges of face and body can look penciled in. Should I not do this?

Thanks for the honesty and great advice, Feel free to alway add you 2 cents to any of my post!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhsoftail Visit mhsoftail's homepage! Find More Posts by mhsoftail

Old 08-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

thanks
I have not done any post sharping.

I use the flash setting on my WB for all the images. I use the flask with a gel for the main light in 2 and 3 but used the non gel flash for my main in 1.

I do think I am going to return my images recording setting to normal, rather then using soft like I was instucted to do in a photo seminar!

thanks Guys,
you ROCK!!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsoftail View Post
I looked at my settings on my camera and I have the image recording set on soft due to a seminar I took and the speaker said to do that. The reasoning was at normal or sharp setting can make the images to "ridgid" and edges of face and body can look penciled in. Should I not do this?
Someone conducting a seminar, I'm assuming a seminar that included glamour photography, said to set your camera to soft when shooting pretty girls???

(Note to self: If I ever instruct at seminars, don't EVER tell anyone to do this, ESPECIALLY with digital SLRs.)

Here's a bit of my advice: Be very careful what "effects" you apply to an image when you capture it. Your then, for the most part, stuck with that effect when you do so. Moreso for effects that are easily produced in post. I'm not just talking about camera settings and effects, I'm also talking about filters and other stuff. Unless you're absolutely sure that's what you want in your image, resist the urge. As rule, I try to capture images for maximum clarity, focus, resolution, the right color temp, "close-to" my final crop, etc. Yeah, there are effects that aren't easily or effectively duplicated in post, but there's not an abundance of them.

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post

Click for larger version

Yikes! The mirror image of the text on the building is making me feel dyslexic!

My NSFW blog

Old 08-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Note to self: If Jimmy ever teach a seminar, at all cost, attend it and do not drool on the models!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.155

Jimmy

Another case of "what-i-like-is-law." in photography.
I wish I could just once find a "LAW" that fits all situations.
Not really I guess. then where would the art be.or my own style.
BTW if you ever decide to kick back and leave that rat race for a while come on over to corn country and relax with a shot of Jack Daniels with me.

T.R.W. Photo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 08-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57508

wildepics is offline IP: 66.32.9.118

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Someone conducting a seminar, I'm assuming a seminar that included glamour photography, said to set your camera to soft when shooting pretty girls???

(Note to self: If I ever instruct at seminars, don't EVER tell anyone to do this, ESPECIALLY with digital SLRs.)

Here's a bit of my advice: Be very careful what "effects" you apply to an image when you capture it. Your then, for the most part, stuck with that effect when you do so. Moreso for effects that are easily produced in post. I'm not just talking about camera settings and effects, I'm also talking about filters and other stuff. Unless you're absolutely sure that's what you want in your image, resist the urge. As rule, I try to capture images for maximum clarity, focus, resolution, the right color temp, "close-to" my final crop, etc. Yeah, there are effects that aren't easily or effectively duplicated in post, but there's not an abundance of them.
I'm wondering, since we're getting the "instructor's " words second hand, if he wasn't saying the same thing thing you are. Get it right but don't let the camera make your decisions for you, that would include the degree of sharpening. Leave room to get the degree of sharpening you want later.

I think a lot depends on workflow, if you are shooting to print directly out of the camera you have to set up to get your best prints (including sharpening) out of the camera. If, like me, you shoot RAW (partly because I'm not good enough to get it all right in the camera) you know you will do a lot of post. I have Camera Raw set to zero out everything, including in camera sharpening, so I start with as close to the image the lens saw as possible given that all Bayer sensor cameras use an interpolating algorithm to present their best guess - and this interpolation results in the soft picture. I then sharpen later as I want to see it, not as I guessed pre photo that I wanted to see.

Just a thought......
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wildepics Find More Posts by wildepics