Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A Model Life... another reality TV show.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.75.146

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Anybody been watchin' A Model Life on the TLC channel Fridays?

It's a reality series based on 6 young models from around the world living in NYC and "competing" for a Seventeen magazine cover shoot and agency contract. Not too bad... and the girls are cute. Not quite as overblown as Tyra's Top Model.

I never did see the last couple of episodes of the series on models MSNBC was running. Apparently, it wasn't pulling good numbers so it got shelved so they could air more Predator episodes. Nothin' like a sleazy sex pervert to pull some decent audience numbers...

Anyway, A Model Life airs at 10 PM Fridays around here, but they run a previous show at 7 PM, and then repeat 'em at 1 AM and 2 AM. Check your local listings, etc... or go to TLC's web page for the full schedule of when they show what episode and they'll even send you a reminder so you don't miss an episode.

Gotta tell ya though, you missed the episode with the swimsuit shoot with the Sports Illustrated editor. The Brazilian babe was definitely hot!

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: A Model Life... another reality TV show.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 71.200.96.156

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I watched the first episode and what struck me was that the show seems more "real" than most of this genre, so I've continued to watch. While it seems that this group of young women have had some pretty choice calls carved out for them, the show seems pretty honest to me. There's no jumping, clapping, cheering, or feigning surprise as they jet off to the Virgin Islands for a shoot.

I found it interesting that 3 of the 6 hadn't heard of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. And how naive of a few not to recognize the opportunity given to them in modeling for Diane Smith. Granted, four of them are from outside the U.S., but they were given a chance that many models would give their molars for (eye teeth are probably needed in their line of work). I found it quite amusing that one of the girls second-guessed Ms. Smith on the choice of swim suit she was to wear. Kind of like telling Ferrari how to build a race car.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 71.129.174.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBulgin View Post

I found it interesting that 3 of the 6 hadn't heard of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. And how naive of a few not to recognize the opportunity given to them in modeling for Diane Smith.
Oh. There's a surprise.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 64.60.153.26

Al, I followed Tyra's show this season and wondered where they found these ladies. Almost all were insecure and only a couple knew how to model. The best model was not that pretty and all the other models hated her! (Melrose) I liked CariDee from the beginning but when she fought with Nigel I figured she was toast. For those that did not see the show, she won.

Last week the photographer Nigel was saying how the model was pretty but only gave him "one look". How many time have I said to myself when I am working with a new model. I love working with models that give me a full range of poses, moods and expressions...every shot being different.

I will give your show a look tonight...Fridays are not a good TV night and maybe this will be worth seeing. It is on at 7 and 10. -Jim

Today episode...
Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.111.49

So in today's episode of A Model Life, the models get to shoot with Gilles Bensimmon (Okay, if I misspelled it shoot me...).

What struck me about it was here's Gilles, top photographer and creative director or some such of Elle magazine. And he picks up his ringlight equipped camera and starts popping off shots like any typical spray and pray advocate.

Kinda made me wonder...

But then there's Jurgen Teller and Terry Richardson so I didn't dwell on it.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Al_Nowak
This message has been deleted by Al_Nowak. Reason: duplicated somehow...
Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.109.107

Jim,
I haven't caught any of this season's Top Model. It always seemed to me the producers were intent on creating a bit too much drama, and the sending home process -- "the girl with no picture must return immediately to the apartment, pack her things, and leave..." -- seemed needlessly harsh. But what the hay, it's their show.

A Model Life seems to avoid much of that. And the girls are actually calling on potential clients.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Old 08-18-2007, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37080

grumblecat is offline IP: 67.161.167.110

Well Top Model cycle 9 hasn't started yet. And we have a new one to look forward to on Bravo soon "Make me a Supermodel" and then of course the 2 shows about photographers VH1's "Click! The next great fashion photographer" and Bravo's "Money Shot"

I love bad TV.

Model Life this week was interesting to watch Gilles Bensimon work, he was fast, made me wonder if he did that because of the show, those particular models or if he is always someone who just knocks stuff out.

gary roberts
My Website
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grumblecat Visit grumblecat's homepage! Find More Posts by grumblecat

Re: Today episode...
Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
What struck me about it was here's Gilles, top photographer and creative director or some such of Elle magazine. And he picks up his ringlight equipped camera and starts popping off shots like any typical spray and pray advocate.

Kinda made me wonder...

But then there's Jurgen Teller and Terry Richardson so I didn't dwell on it.
obviously, it's not about the shooter. it's about the models. the shoot was staged, no doubt, for the show. the show's producers aren't making a show for other photographers to enjoy and observe, they're making a show for the general public who, in the produer's minds, have much interest in the models and little interest in the shooters and how they go about their craft. At least, that's my assumptions. But then, fashion modeling tends to be way more about the models then the shooters anyway. Once a shooter has established his or herself in that industry, it's not, IMO, so much about creative abilities as it is about who you know and who you... you get the picture.

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.72.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
obviously, it's not about the shooter. it's about the models. the shoot was staged, no doubt, for the show.
I think you missed my point.

Yes, the show is about the girls and the shoot was staged. But I am assuming that Giles didn't change his way of shooting just for the show. So firing off rapid fire bursts of multiple shots is probably the way he normally shoots. Somebody in the show even commented that he likes to work fast. But then when they cut to the pictures coming up on the studio monitor for instant review, it was obvious that they weren't all winners...

I get flak sometimes 'cause I take a lot of pictures and throw most of them away. And here's another example of a top level pro doing much the same thing.

Hey, I got no complaint with how he shoots. Obviously, he's doing okay and making some pretty decent money. As long as he delivers images that please the magazine's editor, he's probably set.

I just cringe when I hear the "don't spray and pray" sermon. If it results in an image that pleases you, who cares how you do it...

Maybe taking your time and carefully considering each and every element of the image and taking 5 or 10 minutes between shots is the way some guys prefer to shoot. Different strokes for different folks...

I happen to believe in creative inspiration,
spontaneity, happy accidents, and maintaining a flow. And yeah, sometimes I don't get a real winner. But, damn, sometimes I do and it makes up for all of the others.

But then as I have pointed out on many occasions, I shoot strictly for fun, and when I cease having fun, I'll take up a different hobby.
Still got the guitars somewhere in the closet...

Old 08-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post

I just cringe when I hear the "don't spray and pray" sermon. If it results in an image that pleases you, who cares how you do it...

Maybe taking your time and carefully considering each and every element of the image and taking 5 or 10 minutes between shots is the way some guys prefer to shoot. Different strokes for different folks...

I happen to believe in creative inspiration,
spontaneity, happy accidents, and maintaining a flow. And yeah, sometimes I don't get a real winner. But, damn, sometimes I do and it makes up for all of the others.

i'm with you Al. But while I'm something of a "spray" guy, I'm not a "pray" guy. Once my lights are set-- I'm clicking away! And, with some models, I'm asking them to move... I mean MOVE... I tell them I'll keep up with them. Sure, I'll make some adjustments to the lights while I'm shooting but, most of the time, I get about an hour, tops, with these girls, and with people asking me "are you done?" or with some of them, "Jesus H! Are you done YET???" I need to shoot at least 150 images... altho I usually end up with more towards 300.

My NSFW blog