Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lighten Up!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512
Comments: 0

Fish is offline IP: 72.153.64.182

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have a friend who is always on my back about why I use fill flash and reflectors when shooting out side. He primarily is a photojournalist and as a result uses only the available light to shoot most of his work. Fair enough, he gets some great shots, but my style is to use these light modifiers. Anyway, I was shooting a couple of days ago and at one point I turned off the flash and shot with only the available light. In the end, I think I like the natural light shot better (I guess I do, it's the first page in my book now). Anyway, here are two shots with different lighting.

For this shot, I turned the model's back to the available light and used fill flash
Model: Amanda Myers, Birmingham, Alabama

Here I turned her towards the available light, no fill flash
Model: Amanda Myers, Birmingham, Alabama

Also you will note in the second shot a little false color because of the reflected blue light from the water in the pool. (Oh, and the shot has been modified slightly from it's original content so you are allowed to see it on Glamour One.) Anyway, so my friend may be right, I should at least consider using available light more often when shooting for editorial content. (I hate it when anyone other than myself is right).

Here is a third shot of Amanda Myers. Another photographer (Teddy Ray) had done some pictures of a model swimming in our pool here at Southgate and I really liked them, so I did the right thing and simply stole the idea.

Swimsuit designed by Christian Behr for his new couture swimwear collection

Amanda is a beautiful girl and has done some wonderful work with many other photographers, Dennis Keim (dK) in Alabama comes to mind. When you are looking for a model to improve your book, if Amanda is available I highly recommend her.

Copy, borrow, steal, all are part of my daily grind. But taking advice? And admitting it? ..........Not so much!

On an unrelated note (okay, not so unrelated), I recently had a local photographer get in touch with me about mentoring him for a few sessions to improve his technique when shooting models. Since Duncan Ross of Fashion TV had contacted me about the new FTV Studios in South Beach, I took advantage of the opportunity to do a little instruction using both the studio for shooting as well as using it as a base for working on and around Lincoln Road.

The new studio is located at 350 Lincoln Road so it's a block off the beach and right on the main drag of the Lincoln Road walking mall here in South Beach. Lincoln Road is perfect for shooting (during season there are at least two commercial shoots going on almost every day) and of course is home to five of the top fashion agencies here in Miami.

The meeting and reception areas just off the shooting floor of the FTV Studios

Fish
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
www.JohnFisher.Com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish
Last edited by Fish; 12-15-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Re: Lighten Up!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35247
Comments: 11
My Mood:

G_Roux is offline IP: 199.227.239.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I really love the second image. Best wishes, gus
  View Public Profile Send a private message to G_Roux Find More Posts by G_Roux

Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 71.129.174.23

Personally, I disagree and prefer the first image. Also, I see some color distortion reflecting off the water in both images, albeit less in image #1. Wha'd'ya gonna do? It's gonna be there, to some degree, in that shooting environment. And look what happens to the color of her hair--back of her head--in the naturally-lit image? Not too flattering.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

I have to agree with Jimmy, I like the light in the first one better, although I'd be very happy to have shot either one.
Awesome studio to work in, makes my livingroom and garage look pretty shabby.

Very fine work as usual from you.

Vic
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57288

Viajero is offline IP: 208.54.15.129

Fish, I'm with Jimmy. The second one is excellent! It has a nice editorial look which, as a former news guy, I can appreciate. I dig it.

But the second one has some sweet lighting. Nice and even, not too flat. Really beautiful.

Both top notch, as is the norm for your stuff. But if it were my girlfriend you were shooting it's the first one I'd write the check for.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Viajero Visit Viajero's homepage! Find More Posts by Viajero

Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.228.245

Fish,

Great post. FWIW, I like the first image better as well. Overall, looks cleaner and more "fashiony".

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 08-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 217.86.118.98

Fish,

I like both images, but the second looks more "real". The first one has a "make over" look and feel to it. I like available light personally, but understand the need for fill flash as well.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 08-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

P.S. If those two images where shot for a client, say for something editorial, which image of those two would a photo editor most likely choose? I understand it's a very subjective question but my instinct says #1.

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Rorschach Test
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512

Fish is offline IP: 72.144.243.25

In my opinion, basically there is no right answer about the two pictures. Both are valid, but when I was reviewing them I was struck by how different I felt about these two pictures of the same model in the same environment where basically the difference is the lighting.

As a guy who comes to the table (as I have said often enough) as a commercial photographer shooting editorial content, my inclination is to prefer the first shot. In fact, after a cursive review I printed that picture as the first image in Amanda's book. It was only later when I spent more time with the images that I became enamored with the second picture, which I then thought enough of to put in the front of my own book. (Okay, I'll move some other picture back in front eventually, but the shot will definitely stay in my book.)

The first image is striking (Amanda is flat beautiful. Right, she's not flat, but you get the point.), and I got the lighting balanced out pretty good (not bad for a guy laying on his side trying to balance a 70-200 zoom a couple of inches off the concrete and dialing the settings in with my thumb). It is the way I like to shoot this picture. But, the second image has to my eye more emotional impact, more of the moment, more about her and less about me (my craft). Or maybe it's just me making something about nothing.

Anyway, I appreciate you guys looking at the pictures and taking the time to comment. It is why I posted them. This stuff really means a lot to me, it's what I do, it's who I am. And I do think it one of the few things worthy of an adult's attention!

Fishie
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
www.JohnFisher.Com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Re: Rorschach Test
Old 08-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
This stuff really means a lot to me, it's what I do, it's who I am. And I do think it one of the few things worthy of an adult's attention!

Fishie
Beautiful photos of beautiful women hardly qualify as ink blot tests except, perhaps, if Freud or Kinsey were conducting the tests.

That aside, when a vocation like photography nearly consumes one's entire life--it ain't a simply a job, it's a state of being--I think it makes us question, even more, the truth that our images hold. Do we reflect reality as faithfully as possible? Or do we create fantasy with skill and trickery? And then there are those questions that have to do with "compromising one's craft" entering the picture. You know, should the image favor technical craft over human emotion and all that sort of stuff. Fortunately, these struggles keep us questing for photo Nirvana. It keeps us searching for the perfect light, pointing our optics and snapping shutters. And.... damn. Sorry. I'm getting all philosophical with this stuff. Hey! Fish! Whatever floats your boat, ya know?

My NSFW blog