Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
couple quick shots from Chicago Workshop
Old 07-29-2007, 04:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 53645
Comments: 0
Send a message via ICQ to KCMui Send a message via AIM to KCMui Send a message via MSN to KCMui

KCMui is offline IP: 75.4.41.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

just to show what you guys are missing !!

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

View Public Profile Send a private message to KCMui Visit KCMui's homepage! Find More Posts by KCMui

Re: couple quick shots from Chicago Workshop
Old 07-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 74.92.121.113

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

somehow I'll live.

ditch the excessive photoshop, make the images nice in camera.

http://www.glennusdin.com/images/hillarystocking.jpg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 07-31-2007 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: change nude photo to link since nudes not allow in the Main Community forum

Old 07-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
jestersncourt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.183.138.100

Make them nice in the camera from the start and you don't have to correct things in photoshop... unless of course you want to clean up the mid-section of a model like in your picture to take out that little crease that goes across above the navel that gives the appearance of a pooch tummy.

Photoshop has its place and to knock the use of it while posting a picture that would definately be enhanced by using it seems a little silly.

Jeff

Old 07-29-2007, 07:39 PM
glennusdin
This message has been deleted by rolandogomez. Reason: sarcastic and unprofessional
Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
jestersncourt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.183.138.100

You are right, to an extent. When it comes to trying to conceal problems like the appearance of a pooch tummy as seen by your model, then I am all for it. You may not have a problem with your model not looking as good as possible and you may choose to leave problems like I mentioned above.

Maybe it's something you didn't catch while shooting? Why let an oversight ruin a photo when it can be easily remedied? Of course I guess when you shot 35mm you never did any dodge or burning in the darkroom. Never underdeveloped or overdeveloped. Never did anything but develop prints at the recommended times?

Try Photoshop sometime.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.40.239.155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestersncourt View Post
You are right, to an extent. When it comes to trying to conceal problems like the appearance of a pooch tummy as seen by your model, then I am all for it. You may not have a problem with your model not looking as good as possible and you may choose to leave problems like I mentioned above.

Maybe it's something you didn't catch while shooting? Why let an oversight ruin a photo when it can be easily remedied? Of course I guess when you shot 35mm you never did any dodge or burning in the darkroom. Never underdeveloped or overdeveloped. Never did anything but develop prints at the recommended times?

Try Photoshop sometime.

Maybe you should google the name of the guy you are talking to... I think it is a safe bet that he has more credibility in what he says vs what you say.

The OP posted two shots that were way over worked in post. They may have been good before his post work was done but the end result is not in anyway good or useful in the real world.

Glenn's shot on the other hand is a great shot. As IS!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
jestersncourt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.227.249.86

My issue is not with a critique of the above pictures but casting all people who use photoshop as people who can't get it right in the camera and therefore have to rely on PP.

He is entitled to his opinion, obviously, but it is a silly one. P.P. has been going on long before digital and much bigger names than he.

Now you claim that his image is great and in your opinion it may be. In his opinion it may be. But when I first see it I see something that could clearly have been fixed in photoshop that would enhance the photograph. A "great" photograph is debatable.

I don't understand (and maybe it's because I am a nobody) what the problem is with removing a stray hair from a models face in Photoshop, or cleaning up a blemish or two. That does not make the photograph any worse, but according to the O.P. it does.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.40.239.155

Quote:
My issue is not with a critique of the above pictures but casting all people who use photoshop as people who can't get it right in the camera and therefore have to rely on PP.

He is entitled to his opinion, obviously, but it is a silly one. P.P. has been going on long before digital and much bigger names than he.

Now you claim that his image is great and in your opinion it may be. In his opinion it may be. But when I first see it I see something that could clearly have been fixed in photoshop that would enhance the photograph. A "great" photograph is debatable.

I don't understand (and maybe it's because I am a nobody) what the problem is with removing a stray hair from a models face in Photoshop, or cleaning up a blemish or two. That does not make the photograph any worse, but according to the O.P. it does.

I will never say that you shouldnt fix a blemish or stray hair in post. I do it all the time. The point that Glenn was making is that if you get it right when you shoot it then you dont need to do that stuff in post. When people rely on PS to fix a problem that could have been fixed during the shoot it is just bad form. In the words of Robert Sanders "Dont shoot what you see.... See what you are shooting"

By that same token, art is very subjective and perhaps he didnt think the crease was an issue in that image. In my opinion it is so minor that to waste the time in PS would be pointless and may end up doing more harm then good.

Click for larger version

Old 07-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
jestersncourt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.227.249.86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
I will never say that you shouldnt fix a blemish or stray hair in post. I do it all the time. The point that Glenn was making is that if you get it right when you shoot it then you dont need to do that stuff in post.
YOU will never say that you shouldn't fix a blemish or stray hair in post. Glenn DID say that. And by saying that it appears that he is condemning all those who do post work. I don't see any other way to take what he said.

OBVIOUSLY the objective is to get everything right in the camera and photograph what you see but as you readily admit, that doesn't always happen. The wind is blowing a bit and a stray hair or two flies in her face as the shutter clicks. Throw the otherwise excellent photograph away or correct the hair in Photoshop? How does that make me less of a photographer? You would say that it doesn't and I would wholeheartedly agree with you! Glenn says that it does make you less of a photographer.

That is what I am objecting to. I am not stating whether the OP's pictures are great, good, or mediocre.

Jeff

Old 07-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.210

Quote:
YOU will never say that you shouldn't fix a blemish or stray hair in post. Glenn DID say that. And by saying that it appears that he is condemning all those who do post work. I don't see any other way to take what he said.

OBVIOUSLY the objective is to get everything right in the camera and photograph what you see but as you readily admit, that doesn't always happen. The wind is blowing a bit and a stray hair or two flies in her face as the shutter clicks. Throw the otherwise excellent photograph away or correct the hair in Photoshop? How does that make me less of a photographer? You would say that it doesn't and I would wholeheartedly agree with you! Glenn says that it does make you less of a photographer.

That is what I am objecting to. I am not stating whether the OP's pictures are great, good, or mediocre.

Jeff
Wow, something must be wrong with my monitor here! All I saw Glenn say was "ditch the excessive photoshop, make the images nice in camera." I completely missed his saying "you shouldn't fix a blemish or stray hair in post," nor the part about "... that it (evidentally removing a stray hair or fixing a blemish) does make you less of a photographer."

Maybe it was stuck between the 59 words he typed up there ... dunno.

The way I read it is avoid the razzle-dazzle and get it right at the click of the shutter. Let the image stand as is, since piling on post-production effects tend to dilute what could have been a great image from the get-go.

Not that there aren't great artists out there building terrific images mostly on the post-production side of things. But in this instance it seems more like salvaging as opposed to reaching a creative concept's destination.

My two cents on it anyway.

Dave

Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.99.102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory View Post
Maybe you should google the name of the guy you are talking to... I think it is a safe bet that he has more credibility in what he says vs what you say.

The OP posted two shots that were way over worked in post. They may have been good before his post work was done but the end result is not in anyway good or useful in the real world.

Glenn's shot on the other hand is a great shot. As IS!
you got a lil white spot on your nose...just there... there you go all brown now!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios