Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
TFCD "Rates"
Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The way I see it, as a photographer, there are two types of TFCD requests.
The model asks the photographer and the photographer asks the model.

My questions are this.

1. When you ask the model, you give images. Do you give full size or web quality? I assume you give rights to use freely to promote her/his self.

2. Do the rules change when the model asks you?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Re: TFCD "Rates"
Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945
Comments: 0

epeters is offline IP: 65.193.202.162

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
The way I see it, as a photographer, there are two types of TFCD requests.
The model asks the photographer and the photographer asks the model.

My questions are this.

1. When you ask the model, you give images. Do you give full size or web quality? I assume you give rights to use freely to promote her/his self.

2. Do the rules change when the model asks you?
Every situation is different, model asks, photographer asks. You and the model decide what works best. You talk about it; PS - this is also a good time to develop a repore with the model..

Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 69.255.252.166

1) Whenever I exchange TFCD I supply full size and web sized jpegs along with a release on my letter head that allows the model to have prints made for non-commercial use. I offer the model a select number of prints from the pro lab I use at my cost, though they are free to go anywhere they choose. It's far easier for me if they don't have to keep coming back to me for a print here and a print there.

2) Why should the rules change? TFCD is supposed to be an equitable trade. If you're contacted by a model and you decide to work with them TFCD then hold up your end of the bargain. If you don't think the model can add to your portfolio, don't work TFCD.

It's a real good idea to establish ahead of time exactly what you are supplying. The model's end of the bargain is pretty straight-forward. They shoot with you for a certain amount of time. Come to an agreement on the number of selects you will produce based on the amount of time, number of looks, etc. After all, you're the one that's going to be spending additional time in post-production.

-Chip

Old 07-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBulgin View Post
1) Whenever I exchange TFCD I supply full size and web sized jpegs along with a release on my letter head that allows the model to have prints made for non-commercial use. I offer the model a select number of prints from the pro lab I use at my cost, though they are free to go anywhere they choose. It's far easier for me if they don't have to keep coming back to me for a print here and a print there.
Thats what I currently do, I was just wondering what everyone else did.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 07-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 207.118.168.8

Yep...what Chip said...exactly!

Old 07-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57508

wildepics is offline IP: 66.32.61.42

I'd take out all occurrences of the word "necessary", they aren't necessary. (IMHO they just create a possible confusion factor)

You also don't define "commercial purpose". If she gives a photo to a newspaper doing an article about her, where does that fit? Also, the Playboy case where a playmate supplied a photo to accompany her spread, but wasn't paid for the photo.? [These last comments arising out of reading another thread on this subject]

Non-lawyer spokesperson for myself
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wildepics Find More Posts by wildepics

Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54742

Zipper7 is offline IP: 67.166.228.133

Igor, I like your release that you give to the model so that she can use your photos for some of her purposes (non-commercial), but what agreement/release do you use for a release so that you can use her photos on your web site, etc. ?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zipper7 Find More Posts by Zipper7

Old 10-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.62.141.184

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildepics View Post
I'd take out all occurrences of the word "necessary", they aren't necessary. (IMHO they just create a possible confusion factor)

You also don't define "commercial purpose". If she gives a photo to a newspaper doing an article about her, where does that fit? Also, the Playboy case where a playmate supplied a photo to accompany her spread, but wasn't paid for the photo.? [These last comments arising out of reading another thread on this subject]

Non-lawyer spokesperson for myself
As for the newspaper that's probably Fair Use.

The Playboy case? My release defines 'commercially' as 'in any application for which she should normally receive a fee'

Sound good?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Old 10-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.144.12

I am new to this digital thing, but in the film days, I would provide one print that she could put in her portfolio. Any additional prints I would sell to her. If she wanted to reproduce the image, say on a card or poster, she couldn't, as I own the copyright. I would often sell additional prints from the session for her portfolio or produce Zed Cards or Composites.

For a paid "headshot" session, she got to see the proof sheet, order the image and then reproduce that as many times as she wanted for a flat fee.

Any retouching was at additional cost.

Today, I would offer a unlimited use of all approved images on her web site with watermarks and a few high res files for her self promotional needs only. I will print them for her at full price, or she can have them printed where ever. Retouching is always extra. Those retouchers are expensive!

The number of high res images would be determined by how much I got out of the session. Did she work well, were they fashion or nudes, or erotic?

I also get unlimited web site use and self promotional use of the images. If I was able to use the image as stock or other sales, I would consider giving the model some extra value. Oft times, they have left the business and the number I have is no longer valid. So I would be inclined to do an all rights deal on the shoot. Limits the paperwork.

I find that most of the time, it is the photographer who is the pro here, with the experience, investment and so forth. Most established models aren't interested in TF-anything, unless it is a real interesting project. So the beginners are are getting the major benefit of the session, so the pro should get the major benefit of the creations.

That ought to cause some talk.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 10-07-2007, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Today, I would offer a unlimited use of all approved images on her web site with watermarks and a few high res files for her self promotional needs only.
does "would" mean thats what you would do if you had a camera?

No name, No port, No webpage.

just curious

[shrug]