Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Overexposure as an artistic approach
Old 07-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625
Comments: 0

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.7.46

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I saw an image that another photographer had posted on a modelling site, featuring a model looking almost white on white (that's not a good description!). I wondered how it was done, and did some experimenting on my latest shoot. I thought he may have over-exposed the image, but my experiments all came out looking quite different from his. I'm not worried about that though, because I really like some of the images I produced.

I overexposed this image about a stop to a stop and a half, and I used a shallow depth of field (it's my beloved 135mm f2L on a 1D Mark III).

I'm curious to hear your reactions. Do you think this is an attractive image? Bear in mind that it is meant to be art, not documentary.

Re: Overexposure as an artistic approach
Old 07-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57579

SomeGuyWithuhCamera is offline IP: 70.92.4.187

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Looks like you achieved the results you were working towards. Nice shot!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SomeGuyWithuhCamera Find More Posts by SomeGuyWithuhCamera

Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541

photoaz is offline IP: 67.161.152.126

Can I make a post process suggestion...

Using Photoshop try Filter/Distort/Diffused Glow. This can be done on the background layer or a dup layer of the image. The result might be closer to what you saw and you retain an image that can be used without the washed out look.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.118.139

I don't care for the example. Parts of the face on the left almost blend right into the background so there is very little facial definition.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

Interesting image. In certain genres I would say it works.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.7.46

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I don't care for the example. Parts of the face on the left almost blend right into the background so there is very little facial definition.

Cheers,
rfs
I understand what you are saying, and as a general rule I would agree with you, but it is part of the effect that I like here - the left side of her face (her left, not picture left) is well-defined, but the right side is disappearing - blending into the background - it's almost as though she is fading away, from one side to the other. Indeed, the Tshirt she was wearing has already disappeared. Makes me think of the Cheshire Cat.

This isn't something I would do every day, but I like it as an infrequent technique. Just as I wouldn't use an ultra-shallow depth of field on every photo, but sometimes it's perect.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35219

chunglee is offline IP: 66.108.140.255

hello,

what you described as your goal and your result does not match.

a photographic technique and a mistake at that in of itself is not a photograph.
the picture as a whole just looks like a mistake.

the reason for this is because this overblown look does not add to the your image as a whole. i would continue to practice and achieve the look you were originally going for instead of settleing on a mistake that isn't doing anything for your image.

chung lee

View Public Profile Send a private message to chunglee Visit chunglee's homepage! Find More Posts by chunglee

Old 07-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

I would say that its too much between, it needs to be more over exposed to get "there" or more under exposed to be "correct". I'm thinking you're going for the vargas type image that almost nothing is viewable except her eyes and lips and some of the darker outlines.

my humble opinion, of course.

View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50267

Deezie is offline IP: 75.43.218.66

Overexposure is used infrequently in commercial photography, but you will see it often in certain publications. Mainly it tends to blow-out the product whether it's a fashion garment or beauty product, so it's not often used in advertising. But you will see it on occasion, and I do think it's a refreshing visual for art purposes.

I don't perceive in your image what others are calling a mistake. It's something that you've deliberately set out to do. You just need to bump up the contrast to make what little color is there pop from the white background. I would be happy to take you image and do a little post processing to show you what I mean, but I am not able to upload images on this site. If you give your email I can send you what I'm talking about.

Keep experimenting and trying to do the things that really excite you. It's how you'll discover your signature style.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Deezie Find More Posts by Deezie

Old 07-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.163.81

I think Chung hit the nail on the head.

You set out to achieve a certain look - failed to get it, but got this instead. It's like setting out to get a steak at Outback ( we all know outback ), and you can't find it... so you end up eating at McD's. While your stomach may be full - you didn't get what you wanted. You ended up with a cheaper version.

I'd suggest try and try again. I'd like to see you accomplish the goal you set out to get... and I'd like you to proudly post the result.

christian