Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Looking for Honest Critique
Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 47835
Comments: 1

Murphy66 is offline IP: 67.187.228.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

...of the shot, the lighting and the post processing.

Thanks!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Murphy66 Visit Murphy66's homepage! Find More Posts by Murphy66

Re: Looking for Honest Critique
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For the most part, the lighting works with it's classic, Rembrandt patch, approach. A bit more processing under her right eye might be in order. I think the framing could be a little looser and you could position her face more in line with the Rule of Thirds, especially since you're using a landscape aspect ratio.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
you could position her face more in line with the Rule of Thirds, especially since you're using a landscape aspect ratio.
Your statement brings up a question from the peanut gallery.
On a tight crop, landscape if you intend to use the rule of thirds the horizontal line crosses her pupils, but what about the two virtical lines?

Dark eye? Light eye? nose? or crop it down where each eye is on a line?

--------------------------

I like the photo, and as far as constructive comments, I have nothing to add.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
Your statement brings up a question from the peanut gallery.
On a tight crop, landscape if you intend to use the rule of thirds the horizontal line crosses her pupils, but what about the two virtical lines?

Dark eye? Light eye? nose? or crop it down where each eye is on a line?
Well, all these rules are "soft" rules. You have to apply your personal sense of aesthetics and balance and all that to each, individual, image. But in the case of this image, I think the vertical line should be somewhere near the center of her nose.

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

Well, right off the bat, this is what comes to mind. What is it? What's the purpose? What's the feeling supposed to be? How am I supposed to react?

I ask this because this image just "exists." No emotion, no distinct expression, no feeling to it.

As far as I am concerned, the rest is now irrelevant.

Really think ....what was the purpose and what feeling are you trying to elicit?
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 07-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
Well, all these rules are "soft" rules. You have to apply your personal sense of aesthetics and balance and all that to each, individual, image. But in the case of this image, I think the vertical line should be somewhere near the center of her nose.
Cool, I would have said nose or dark eye, either would probably work.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 07-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 47835
Comments: 1

Murphy66 is offline IP: 67.187.228.24

This is great feedback so please keep it coming!

FWIW - This was Annie's very first time in front of a camera. The purpose of the shot was two fold: 1) allow me to attempt some flattering classical lighting (thank you JimmyD for noticing) and 2) prove to her how attractive she shoots.

And I suppose it was the intent of this post to see if anyone had issues with the skin processing I did. Personally, I find skin to be a %^&* to work with sometimes.

So I agree the intent of the image was not to create a cover for a magazine but just to show how beautiful this shy model-wannabe is.

Keep dropping comments - I live for the pain!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Murphy66 Visit Murphy66's homepage! Find More Posts by Murphy66

Old 07-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy66 View Post
Keep dropping comments - I live for the pain!

My NSFW blog

Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35219
Comments: 0

chunglee is offline IP: 66.108.140.255

hi,

i think more then anything your crop is off. specifically, rather then moving her into a rule of third position, the thing that bothers me is the crop under her chin.

if you gave her more room under her chin the centered image wouldn't bother me so much. even if you moved her over, the tight cropping under her chin would still make this unbalanced.

i think going for classic looks and cropping etc... is a good way to start and good direction to go in.

your skin retouching needs work but it starts with good lighting, good makeup and good skin.

regards to lighting, there are many nuances that you have to pay attention to. color temp, inverse square law, the light source itself, shaping tools so on and so on. all of the above creates the quality of light that falls on your subject. from your picture, the quality of light is poor.

a good makeup artist is essential to the type of photograph you are going for. if you didn't have one, you should consider developing relationships with makeup artists around your area and work on shoots together.

and finally good skin, the type of photographic look you were going for will reveal every flaw on a models skin. so if your model had so so skin and you didn't have a makeup artist on set, i would have shot her natural light with a reflector instead of what you were going for.

chung lee

View Public Profile Send a private message to chunglee Visit chunglee's homepage! Find More Posts by chunglee