Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Amanda - Take 2
Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Went back to the RAW images, and started over. (after choosing a much smaller number to import)

These should be much better.

View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Re: Amanda - Take 2
Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

300+ views and no opinions? are they really that bad?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Hi Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
Went back to the RAW images, and started over. (after choosing a much smaller number to import)
Here are my thoughts for your consideration.

1) The skin touch-up still needs work. She appears to be bruised on her forehead. The facial expression could be improved as well. One trick I read from RFS is to have the model say her vowels. It's a neat idea that works quite well. If you like, send me a private message, and we can arrange for me to receive your raw file. Not that I am any expert, but I can show you my approach.

2) This is a hard shot to do well, in my opinion. The regulars here would comment on her digits being chopped. Also, watch the neck folds.

3) I am not great with poses. As is, again, difficult shot because the viewer is not sure if you are emphasizing the car or her. The car is in the foreground, brighter and occupies more of the picture. She is somewhat shaded and occupies a smaller position.

That said, if the car wasn't too hot, I might have had her lean on the hood to have the light bounce into her face. In essence, use the hood as a reflector.

Aside from the body position, you might have used a shallower depth of field.

I hope these thoughts help you.

Best regards,
Kevin

View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk
Last edited by Stecyk; 06-29-2007 at 10:02 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
300+ views and no opinions? are they really that bad?
I didn't see you ask for opinions or a critique.

Photo number 1 just isn't good. The sun on her nose is unattractive, she looks like she's squinting and uncomfortable, the hair is messy and the earrings are distracting.

Photo 2 the earring is sitting on her shoulder and her eyes are dark and cold.

Photo 3 is a bad pose, bad lighting, and again. messy hair.

I would recommend that until you get a better knowledge of lighting and posing, at LEAST pay more attention to styling (clothing, jewelry and hair).

Keep studying hard and you'll get there.

david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Dave:
Quote:
I didn't see you ask for opinions or a critique.
Most people get comments regardless, but Iíll ask from now on.

Quote:
Photo number 1 just isn't good. The sun on her nose is unattractive, she looks like she's squinting and uncomfortable, the hair is messy and the earrings are distracting.

Itís 11:00 am sheís two hours late but drove a long way for me to shoot her so I canít just say no. Iíve a remote flash and several reflectors. What should I have done?

Quote:
Photo 2 the earring is sitting on her shoulder and her eyes are dark and cold.

Is there anything I could have done other than notice the earring? She wasnít in a bad mood, she was trying her best. The sun was probably a factor and I did move her to a shaded spot later and got some good shots from there but Iím interested in how I should have managed this shot.

Quote:
Photo 3 is a bad pose, bad lighting, and again. messy hair.
And you would pose her how? (Iím learning, teach) How would you compensate for the light? And how would you compensate for very thin hair on a slightly windy day.

Kevin:
Thanks for the comments, I too read the vowels thing and will try it next time I shoot a ďcanned smileĒ girl. The hood as a reflector, I should have thought of that.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Iíve learned a lot here some of it hurts but if thatís what it takes to get to the place I want to be, okfine.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

"Most people get comments regardless, but Iíll ask from now on."

I have commented in the past, and then someone get's all upset because they didn't ask for comments, so now, I usually only comment when asked.

"Itís 11:00 am sheís two hours late but drove a long way for me to shoot her so I canít just say no. Iíve a remote flash and several reflectors. What should I have done?"

Here's what I would have done. Number one, I would have sent her back home. Two hours late?? Unless she called me and told me AHEAD of time that she was going to be late, and we agreed that we would still shoot, I would have sent her ass back home and told her never to call me again. I am only interested in working with models that are RELIABLE, RESPONSIBLE, and RESPECTFUL.

Number two, and I mean this in the nicest way, stop making excuses for bad photos. Don't blame the model, the weather, or the time of day. If you pick up your camera and push the shutter, it should only be with the intention of creating a perfect image. I would have found some open shade with nice, even lighting, and I would have made sure there was nice catchlights in her eyes reflecting from something in front of her. I never ever use reflectors or fill flash. I rely on model placement, lighting, and natural reflectors. It is a learned talent, and the more you start relying solely on natural light and natural reflectors, you'll be able to tackle any location and any time of day.

"Is there anything I could have done other than notice the earring? She wasnít in a bad mood, she was trying her best. The sun was probably a factor and I did move her to a shaded spot later and got some good shots from there but Iím interested in how I should have managed this shot."

Well..noticing the earring is what you NEEDED to do. Straightening it AFTER you have her posed is another option. You need to pay attention to all elements of the image. SCan the viewfinder like a detective before you take the image.

The sun is never a factor. Where you place the model and how you utilize the sun IS the factor. There's no such thing as bad light, just bad usage of light.

Also, I can never give you posing direction in a post. I started out by cutting out any poses that I liked from magazine ads or magazine shoots, and trying to copy and emulate those poses until I could do it second nature.

david@posneg.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 06-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks Dave!!
yes she called me every half hour or so to give an update on where and how much longer she would be. I didn't have anything else to do and there were other models and husbands (all friends) there as well. It was a relaxed day at the lake and she was SOooo sorry she was late I got tickled. I think I was the third photographer that she had worked with.

Using no flash or reflectors sounds like the best way to make my little mind search for the right light and model placement and I've already started collecting poses.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
I never ever use reflectors or fill flash. I rely on model placement, lighting, and natural reflectors. It is a learned talent, and the more you start relying solely on natural light and natural reflectors, you'll be able to tackle any location and any time of day.
I gotta respectfully disagree, Dave. Yes, relying on natural light and natural reflectors takes skill and experience and know-how. But that doesn't also mean using tools that create artificial light or using reflectors, scrims, flags, and more makes someone less of a shooter or any less experienced or talented. (If that's what you're saying.) Knowing when and how to use the right tools, e.g., strobes, light modifiers and such, is equally important to one's ability to create images that stand out and, hopefully, get noticed.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.115.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
"Most people get comments regardless, but Iíll ask from now on."

I have commented in the past, and then someone get's all upset because they didn't ask for comments, so now, I usually only comment when asked.
I'm in the same boat here. I have given comments and or critiques on peoples photos and then get a nasty pm saying that if they wanted comments they would have asked for them. So I keep a list. Each time I get one of those types of PM, I just stop ever responding in anyway to any post by the persons who make such requests. Often I can tell in the context of the post or in other posts by the same member whether they really want critiques or not. I've found I usually guess right in this regard.

So my take, is its best to make some sort of a comment about wanting critiques or comments and then that will make it more likely that you'll get some.

On another note, about the control of lighting, I have to agree that the photographer is in control of a shoot, not the current way the sun is shining. If its direct sun, then modify it. A scrim or shade will often work miracles. If you have strobes, you can completely overpower the sun if you want to. Naturally if you're out shooting without an assistant, then it is more difficult to use artificial modifiers since often they need to be held or supported. But in bright sun, you can always move to the shade and then use fill flash or some sort of reflector to pull light into the shot. Keep in mind that a tripod can often be helpful here because you are playing games with the light and often need to get more light into a darkly shaded scene, so you may have to use a slower shutter speed.

Here is an example shot on a day with very direct sunlight.

Click for larger version

However, 10 feet away from where I was shooting was this area.

Click for larger version

Motorcycle used as shade - added complement in PS.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
I gotta respectfully disagree, Dave. Yes, relying on natural light and natural reflectors takes skill and experience and know-how. But that doesn't also mean using tools that create artificial light or using reflectors, scrims, flags, and more makes someone less of a shooter or any less experienced or talented. (If that's what you're saying.) Knowing when and how to use the right tools, e.g., strobes, light modifiers and such, is equally important to one's ability to create images that stand out and, hopefully, get noticed.
I was not implying at all that the use of reflectors and fill and other tools makes you less of a photographer. I was simply stating that:

1. I personally don't use them, and,

2. To help gain the knowledge and experience of working in natural light in almost any given circumstance, "the more you start relying solely on natural light and natural reflectors, you'll be able to tackle any location and any time of day."
david@posneg.com