Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Amanda
Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Re: Amanda
Old 06-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,

Of the three photos, I like the first one best. I might have used to healing brush on some of the blemishes. That's always a judgment call because some like photos without retouching. I do think, however, you could have sharpened the photo slightly. It looks like you shot raw without sharpening afterwards? All that said, I like this photo because it is a terrific facial shot. I especially like the eyes.

Although I like photo 2, there is something about her pose. I am not sure what it is--maybe it's just me. I do like, however, the lighting in that you angled her slightly away from the sun.

In Photo 3, the lighting seems a bit harsher. I might have been inclined to eliminate the car, because it is brighter than her and takes away from the viewer's attention of the model.

Just one person's thoughts.

Best regards,
Kevin

View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 06-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Thanks for taking the time to comment!!

#1 - didn't realize how much I needed to smooth out her skin, I agree a little is needed. Didn't sharpen it, my bad.

#2 - the shadows sold me on this one, Just not used to posing someone that needs to look curvier, with me its always the other way round.. (pun intended)

#3 - Trying to use the car as a prop. [shrug]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 06-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

I agree about the first one being the best, and a little skin retouch and then careful sharpening would help, with maybe a touch more contrast. But her eyes are really good and pull you in.

# 2 and #3, it is difficult to shoot in full sun, she is squinting in #3 and that makes a poor expression. Tell her you want to re shoot in openshade, with a reflector to open up the shadows, if you can find a helper or way to support the reflector.

Nice work
VicClick for larger version
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 06-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.115.18

On #2 and #3 you need to remember the "ballet" principle. The flat footed pose will often render the legs less attractive and shapely that they otherwise might be. #1 has the most potential as already mentioned so the suggested fixes would be apropos.

Click for larger version

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

Thanks for the comments, I tried to have her stand on the balls of her feet to add definition to her legs it probably helped a little.

How's this?

another question, is this crop bad? if so where should it be?
(its another I really like the shadows)

Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Hi Bob,

I think the skin is now too smooth, plastic looking in places and natural looking in others. Try experimenting with healing brush tool. Don't paint with it. Just dab it about. And sample from different locations. You might also try Edit | Fade immediately after applying a healing brush. The trick is to try and make it look natural.

When I do this, I create a separate layer and then use healing brush. Sometimes, I use the stamp tool additionally, but at a lower opacity. Again, the trick is not too paint, but rather dab.

It's trial and error to see what works and what doesn't work. You can also try adding some noise (see filters) to give the skin some texture. Again, trial and error as to how much noise is needed.

If you do this on a separate layer, you can also throw the layer away or erase parts of it.

From reading the responses of others, you should always crop above the joint, or knee in your example.

I hope this is of some benefit.

Best regards,
Kevin

View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

The eyes are very much better, the skin , I would play around with some more until you are happy with the overall texture.

Crop on # 2 should be higher, or include the feet.

Vic
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59145
Comments: 0

rowbeart is offline IP: 142.167.130.210

Bob,

You obviously trying something new and I applaud you. The first image is devine and I love the colour of her eyes. I have to agree that a white reflector to the right would open up the shadows on her face. It is obvious that this is a confident woman as she is willing to pose for you. However, I find encouraging the use of the "one heel up at all times" principle keeps the legs looking great and the hips in the right position.

The second image and third seem to employ the same stance, and you can see how it can work in one situation and not another. I like the high contrast of the car and also of the shadows on the model. The skirt and belt also work much better and doesn't draw the eye to her thigh like No. 2 does. I even think she has one heel up in those flip flops!!

Great work - keep on shootin'

Rowbeart
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rowbeart Visit rowbeart's homepage! Find More Posts by rowbeart

Old 06-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecyk View Post
I think the skin is now too smooth, plastic looking in places and natural looking in others. Try experimenting with healing brush tool. Don't paint with it. Just dab it about. And sample from different locations. You might also try Edit | Fade immediately after applying a healing brush. The trick is to try and make it look natural.

When I do this, I create a separate layer and then use healing brush. Sometimes, I use the stamp tool additionally, but at a lower opacity. Again, the trick is not too paint, but rather dab.
That is what I did. or overdid.. [shrug] I created a new layer the made the new layer invisible and used gausian blur to smooth the rough spots.
I then used a mask on the new layer to delete everything I wanted sharp.

Sounds like I need to lighten up on the blur.

Above the joint, being an AK (above the knee) amputee I should be able to remember that.

[grin]

Oh and for those who wonder, I used a SB600 with a 6x8 softbox on a light stand three feet to my left. D200 on commander mode with the oncamera flash set to -2 and the remote to +3 to compensate for the softbox.
F8 - 200mm - 60th of a second - ISO 250

Next time I'll set the on-camera to -1 [shrug]