Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Gentle reminder about posting of Critiques ...
Old 06-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.115.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am seeing an increasing number of posts which critique various photos but do not follow the posted rules for such critiques. Here are the pertinent rules governing this important aspect of G1 membership:
  • 10. When posting critiques, be firm, be professional, be polite--use tact. Distasteful, nasty, belittling posts will not be tolerated. The "Golden Rule" applies here, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." When critiquing, don't just provide problems, provide solutions and sound advice along with any references. Improvement comes from constructive criticism, not destructive criticism. When critiquing, or being critical of someones work, you must post an IMAGE of your work as a courtesy to the person being critiqued.
  • 11. Posts lacking tact are not allowed. If your post is unprofessional in choice of words, it will be deleted. We will not tolerate rudeness, harsh language, flames, slander, libel or insults of any kind. No “he said - she said” posts. If you have a problem with someone - take it off the board.

We need to be aware of these rules, and in particular the bolded part of rule 10 above. I know that some do not agree with this rule, but I think it is valid to want to see the photos of those that post a critique. My take on the rules is that if a member is listed as a "photographer" or a "model" then there is no reason for them not to have photographs. Likewise if someone is a member there is no good reason for not having photos in their G1 portfolio.

So its my feeling that since these are the stated rules, that they should be enforced. If you need help in posting a photo with your post which includes a critique, just ask, there are a number of us who will help. If you need help getting photos into your G1 portfolio, again, just ask.

If you see your post deleted, then don't be surprised or be upset if you have violated the spirit of rule 10 or 11 regarding critiques of someones photos on G1.

The other note I should make about the posting of the required photo with your critique, is that it is poor form for anyone to make comments about that required photo. The photo(s) to be critiqued are those posted by the one who started the thread. We should resist making comments about the photos posted in that thread in compliance with rule 10. We should also try to keep our comments on such a thread to the topic originally introduced and if we feel the need to introduce a new topic, we should spin off a new thread.

Comments are welcome about all of this and I hope we can have a lively discussion.

Click for larger version
Gentle reminder about posting of Critiques ... 

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Gentle reminder about posting of Critiques ...
Old 06-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The rules about critiques applys to photos posted in the main forum as well as the forum devoted to critiques ?

Just want to be clear here, thanks for posting this.
Vic
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
Comments: 0
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.2.246

Thanks for the reminder, RFS! "A picture's worth a thousand words..."
Or, as a famous Italian once said, "You no playa the game, you no maka the rules!"

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945

epeters is offline IP: 65.193.202.162

"When critiquing, or being critical of someones work, you must post an IMAGE of your work as a courtesy to the person being critiqued."
What is the reason for this requirement? Should it be a photo that is relative to the photo you are commenting on, or just something that says "I once took a photo and here it is"?

Old 06-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdoc View Post
The rules about critiques applys to photos posted in the main forum as well as the forum devoted to critiques ?

Just want to be clear here, thanks for posting this.
Vic
Correct. Any time, in any forum, if you critique a photo, then the rule applies. However, if you just say something like "Great photo", then you would not need a photo of your own. But if you said, for example, "Great, photo, but the cropping is off", then that would be a critique and need a photo of your own posted.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeters View Post
"When critiquing, or being critical of someones work, you must post an IMAGE of your work as a courtesy to the person being critiqued."
What is the reason for this requirement? Should it be a photo that is relative to the photo you are commenting on, or just something that says "I once took a photo and here it is"?
I suspect the reason is to provide some evidence that the person making the critique knows what they are talking about. It would be nice if a photo could be posted that illustrates something about the comments being made (such as a improved way of doing it, or the same mistake that the critiquer has made in the past, etc). But this is often difficult, if not impossible. So it can be any photo. I often try to pick a photo that has no relationship to the photo being critiqued (that is completely different), so as not to steal the thread. You don't have to make a comment about the photo that you post as part of this rule unless the photo adds something to the conversation.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 06-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

A brief note. For the next few weeks I thought I would post spot reminders in various threads about rule 10 compliance. So if you see one in your thread, don't get mad, just post photos with your critiques.

Obviously if someone has photos in their G1 portfolio the rule is somewhat more relaxed, in my view. At least that gives someone a group of shots to look at and see what your photography is like. Still, try to remember to post one of the photos in your G1 portfolio that is most appropriate. Just click the Images link by the post box to insert one of your G1 portfolio shots.
Cheers,
rfs

Old 06-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57569

TCProd is offline IP: 68.44.114.33

I have, on occasion, violated this rule -- sorry.

Unfortunately, the sum total of my model-shooting experience comes from a single RG workshop. I didn't want folks to think "That photo again?"

I guess there are always some aerials (have to scan them) or a old crime scene. (Should autopsies go under "Nude?")

Tom Conroy Productions
New Jersey - Greater Philadelphia
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TCProd Visit TCProd's homepage! Find More Posts by TCProd

Old 06-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCProd View Post
I have, on occasion, violated this rule -- sorry.

Unfortunately, the sum total of my model-shooting experience comes from a single RG workshop. I didn't want folks to think "That photo again?"

I guess there are always some aerials (have to scan them) or a old crime scene. (Should autopsies go under "Nude?")
I think we can skip the autopsies!

You can actually post just about any photo. Naturally if its a critique of a post in any forum but the nude forum, then it should be a non-nude. The rule doesn't say anything about the photo other than that there should be one, so that leaves lots of leeway. Sometimes, I just post a very innocuous photo that won't interfere with the flow of the thread. For example, this one is one I use often:

Click for larger version

On the other hand, maybe the rule is there to push everyone to shoot more photos and thus have more at hand to post along with their critiques.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 06-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671

gaborm is offline IP: 70.253.189.121

One of the main reasons I liked the original Garage Glamour for, is the rules of posting a picture with a critique, of how it should have been done.
Thank you for bringing it back.

View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm