Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Samantha
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671
Comments: 0

gaborm is offline IP: 70.253.189.121

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm

Re: Samantha
Old 06-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 74.36.20.217

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Technically they are all fine, however she doesn't look to happy to be in any of the pictures.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55407
Send a message via MSN to natalia.Taffarel Send a message via Skype™ to natalia.Taffarel

natalia.Taffarel is offline IP: 200.127.180.64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Technically they are all fine, however she doesn't look to happy to be in any of the pictures.
That's right... WHY IS SHE SO ANGRY?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to natalia.Taffarel Visit natalia.Taffarel's homepage! Find More Posts by natalia.Taffarel

Old 06-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Her puppy just died.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 76.23.108.18

Why is happy a requirement for a good picture?
Could be attitude.
Why a smile in every frame?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.115.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepro View Post
Could be attitude.
One doesn't have to have a smile in every shot, but usually it helps in Glamour since normally Glamour is about pretty girls and reaching the audience with the appeal of that pretty girl. A smile does this very effectively. But when the model looks mad in the shot and it isn't part of the theme of the shot, then I begin to wonder if its just lack of experience in posing both on the model's part and the photographers part (in directing the model).

2nd issue is when shooting a plus size model, one needs to light and pose the shot to minimize elements of weight. A smile helps there also because it keeps more attention on the face. These shots have outfits and poses that emphasize the weight. #1 and #4 are awkward poses that expose the extra weight. The lighting also has a lot to do with this. When shooting high key you have to really work hard on the poses to keep the arms from looking flabby or having huge knees poking out in front (#4). If one creates a higher lighting ratio, then you can use shadows to sculpt the arms and legs and make them look less heavy.

Shots #2 and #3 both have problems with attention to details. For instance #2 has the grey dress with part of the top folded down near the forward arm which makes it look sort of like the outfit doesn't fit or is too small. Also in #2 the model appears to be leaning back and this emphasises weight in this case.

So what I'm trying to say, to get back to the smile, is that a happy smile on each of these shots would have went a long way to take my focus off the poses and the outfits, etc.

Now the last things is that she is a very attractive subject and I beleive that great shots can be made of her. But I think more work is needed.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.99.102

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepro View Post
Could be attitude.
Ahhhhh I am one who you will rarely has smiles in my work unless its supposed to be fluffy and light hearted, However, there is a huge difference between confident,powerful,sensual and seductive expressions and just plain mad! one thing that will help is make sure to have your model open the lips slightly...helps keep them from looking angry!

View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 06-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.12.72.142

I agree that the model does not need to have a smile in every picture which is why I normally like to mix it up a little when shooting with someone and try to express having different expressions. The model you have seems to have only one expression in this set that makes it look like she wanted to get the shoot over with or why are you looking at her like that. The lighting and exposures look good.

View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 06-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

I take every reply in this forum seriously for the fact that I learned a lot from here over the years. You seem to have a lot of experience in photography in general or at least act like you do and learned a trick or two from your posts too in the past.
I don't pay attention on the smiling part (my fault) but if the model don't want to smile, I'm not going to force them. Glamourous or not, smiling or not these are not glamour images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
2nd issue is when shooting a plus size model, one needs to light and pose the shot to minimize elements of weight. A smile helps there also because it keeps more attention on the face. These shots have outfits and poses that emphasize the weight. #1 and #4 are awkward poses that expose the extra weight. The lighting also has a lot to do with this. When shooting high key you have to really work hard on the poses to keep the arms from looking flabby or having huge knees poking out in front (#4). If one creates a higher lighting ratio, then you can use shadows to sculpt the arms and legs and make them look less heavy.

#1 It's high key. The left arm is in the shadow to cover the extras The right arm pointing back to make it look smaller. You're right about the knee. The only other way I could have posed her to look small is to hide her behind the chair.
I agree with you on #4. The knee looks big.

Quote:
Shots #2 and #3 both have problems with attention to details. For instance #2 has the grey dress with part of the top folded down near the forward arm which makes it look sort of like the outfit doesn't fit or is too small. Also in #2 the model appears to be leaning back and this emphasises weight in this case.
The arm is sticking away from the body to make it look leaner. Everything else looks small in that shot, including standing sideways and covering one of her side with her hair.
I think you're nitpicking on the dress folding down in the back.
She's not leaning back. If you look close the right upper side of the picture have a slight white line from 3/4 to the top. That's the corner of the wall.
She's actually leaning forward and I cropped the image and tilted it for a better angle. (better angle in my opinion)

On #3 you didn't explain the problem.

Quote:
So what I'm trying to say, to get back to the smile, is that a happy smile on each of these shots would have went a long way to take my focus off the poses and the outfits, etc.
I didn't pick her outfits.

Quote:
Now the last things is that she is a very attractive subject and I beleive that great shots can be made of her. But I think more work is needed.
I'm working on my part and she's working on hers.

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573

FrankParis is offline IP: 76.23.108.18

Yeah remember a young lady we both shot a little over aa year ago?
No smilies there.