Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Got a ring?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35281
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Mitch is offline IP: 72.87.176.202

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi folks .....

I'm seriously considering buying a ring light (specifically the Hensel since I've already got the power pack) for use when shooting model portfolios, giving the senior photos a kick in the pants and just general merriment. Any thoughts / examples / recommendations??
Thanks for your words and / or photos

Mitch
www.myspace.com/photomitch
www.amimagesphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mitch Visit Mitch's homepage! Find More Posts by Mitch

Re: Got a ring?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671

gaborm is offline IP: 70.253.189.121

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm very anti bee myself, but bought their ring flash for ****s and giggles and it works. Pain in the ass to use it, because of the layout and cheap build quality, but it just simply works like it's advertised.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm

Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.189.159.118

hard to compare An AB Ring Light to a Hensel, lemme know if you get one Mitch..

or try hitting up Rolando for an answer...

Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.157.219

1200ws vs 320ws, no brainer, Hensel all the way...come to a workshop and I'll prove it to you (grin)...thanks, rg sends!Click for larger version
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 06-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

I'd very much like to buy one too, but I don't have a porty power pack. All my Hensel lights ar AC powered and I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me if they make an AC powered ring flash.

Anyone know ?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 74.36.20.217

I bought the ABR-800 and as mentioned above it is not made from the finest of materials, but it works like a champ! For most interior / studio shooting more than enough power. I have not done anything outdoors yet so can't really say there.

I have never considered any AB lights before this but must say I think this is a great buy, unless you need much much more power and will be using day in and day out. If you are not really sure, buy the AB unit and make the $ from that to pay for the Hensel.

Good luck

Old 06-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.163.81

For those with a Hensel pack but not a porty - I'd suggest the Honda 2000 power generator... rather than another power pack. Clean power, and I think it's less than 100lbs. Great in case of storms as well.

- Shot with ABR and scanned from a proofsheet.

The fact of the matter is this: These are tools. It's like saying a writer will write better stories with a Brother typewriter than any other brand. The differences between the rings is like the difference between billiards cues to someone who just learned to play pool. The fine tuning of a seasoned user defines the value.

Still - there's no harm in buying expensive and very nice brands. I say go for it... but if you're expecting the brand to make a difference in the shots you get right away - you're going to be disappointed.

Best of luck with your new toys.

christian

Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

C--

So let me get this right, you now carry a generator that weighs almost 100lbs and uses gasoline--so you store the explosive gasonline in the trunk of your car, or in your case, smell it in your minivan over a 20lb battery pack? (Glad you don't smoke.) Not to mention the battery pack allows you to run not just one, but two lights and control them with an auto dump/upcharge up to 1/10th of a F/stop accuracy with an audible verification? Hmm...

Ok, for the sake of not rehashing what has gone on and on about one ring vs another ring--yes, it's about the right tool for the right job, and yes, I still can't dunk when I wear my Nike Air Jordans at my height (not NBA regulation goals anyways), but I can make the basket. Ultimately, it's about the right tool that allows you to create what you're satisfied in your style of photography. The name brand won't make you better, but the brand and how they produce their product can make you work more efficiently and effectively.

It's about using the right tools that allow you to work the way you prefer, if you prefer time consuming and bulky, buy a bee, if you prefer speed, compact size, accuracy, etc, buy a Profoto, Hensel, etc.--do the research--heck, rent one first, oops, you can't find bees for rent in pro photography rental houses, they don't even sell them, so try a Profoto, Hensel, etc., then borrow a bee, then make an "informed" decision.

Ultimately the photographer who knows how to use the tool will stand out, regardless of the tool brand, but what the tool has or lacks will also make the photographer stand out.

On another note, C-, nice shot, looks like medium format and that Fuji B&W film is an awesome type of film to use too! Wishing you the best, rg sends!

Click for larger version
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

it's amazing how much time and forum space has been wasted with this volkswagon vs. bmw lighting debate.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 06-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Hey, I drive a truck (Silverado)...(grin)...later dude, rg sends!
Click for larger version