Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Pimp
Old 06-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671
Comments: 0

gaborm is offline IP: 70.253.189.121

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm

Re: Pimp
Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Very well lit, and the red and black contrast nicely, very pretty model. She doesn't look like she is having any fun would be my only quibble.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

lol. Look at my post called Samantha and see if you like those.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.37.35

Overall, very nicely executed. Great job controlling reflections and glare from the bike. My only "big" complaint is that is how the pose and angle make the model's thigh look in the second shot. Most, if not all, of the models that I have worked with would scream at me for showing that shot. The rest of the poses work well, though I have to agree about the lack of expression on the part of the model.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

like your samantha post, she's displaying about the same expression in each image. like samantha, this model shows virtually no "range" whatsoever as her expression fails to change from image to image. it ain't about smiles or no smiles, it's about attitude and emotion and getting something more out of the model than the same thing in each pic. the shooter, btw, is as much responsible (oftentimes more) for pulling that range out of the model than the model is... especially when you're dealing with novice models.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran

Member GG#: 46477

atlantashooter is offline IP: 216.199.73.42

I like the bike shots but I have a question about JimmyD's reply. You mentioned getting the attitude and emotion out of the model and especially a novice model. I agree that the shooter has no choice but to be more responsible than a novice model for getting the attitude and emotion into a shot. Getting the emotion out of a novice model has been one of the things I really need to improve on. As you know, most pros turn it on from the get go but with novice girls fuggitaboudit. Even though I start off upbeat and with conservative shots, put on their favorite music, tell them how great they look, praise them when they nail a shot, and let them chimp every few shots, a new girl generally doesn't open up until 2 or 3 changes into the shoot most of the time. I can almost feel the curtain start to lift when it happens. Pulling the emotion into a shot is for me what makes or breaks the shot most times. How do you quickly trigger that with somebody that's not accustomed to "turning it on" from the first exposure? It's all about making them see the image as well as express the emotion I'm trying to capture but it makes for a lot of wasted shots (by comparison) when there is only an emotionless/guarded attitude in the beginning. Everything from the facial expression to entire body expression suffers. Got any suggestions on how to help pull that out of somebody new? Is there any way to help prepare a non-professional to feel it from the beginning? And for that matter how do you move her onto another emotional path if you want to change looks? Is it all about the model or do I need to take another look at my expectations?

DP Ellis
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atlantashooter Visit atlantashooter's homepage! Find More Posts by atlantashooter

Old 06-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

I did a few workshops and the most I learned from all of them is communications rather than anything that have to do with lighting or cameras.
I'm proud to say, I can turn it on 5 minutes after they walk in the door, let that be a family a kid or a model.

Here is what Samantha posted for example on one of the modeling sites.

"Hey it was fun shooting with you! I love how you had everything very organized and planned out--you didn't have any dead time It was awesome!"
I only had an hour with her and took about 50 shots total.
Her myspace site have about 7 or 8 albums of different photographers she shot with. She probably smiles on 3 pictures total and I bet those were just out takes.

Here is what one mom sent me after I shot her shy daughter.
"Nobody, ever was able to take a picture of Emily before. You didn't just took great pictures, but you captured her as she is at home. Thank you so much!"

I think the problem with new models is, that they see all these images in magazines with attitude and they try to imitate that without ever looking into the mirror. The way I see it, there is nothing to smile about when you're hanging half naked off or on a motorcycle.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantashooter View Post
Is it all about the model or do I need to take another look at my expectations?

DP Ellis
Fortunately, at least for your pocketbook, digital doesn't cost you anything more than your time when it comes to all those shots, at the beginning of a shoot, when you aren't getting what you want from the model.

When models, especially novice models, have an "emotionless/guarded attitude in the beginning" of a shoot, well, there's not a whole lot more you can do except what you're already doing. Obviously, everyone's different so the same approach isn't going to work with everyone. Usually, I don't have the (novice) model wear the wardrobe I like the best at the beginning because I'm concerned those shots are going to suffer from model jitters. Sometimes you just have to wait them out and keep shooting till they get into the groove. If you figure out a sure-fire way to quickly get models over that "emotionless/guarded" hump, please let me know.

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.37.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborm View Post
I think the problem with new models is, that they see all these images in magazines with attitude and they try to imitate that without ever looking into the mirror. The way I see it, there is nothing to smile about when you're hanging half naked off or on a motorcycle.
There's smiling a bit...

Click for larger version

or something slightly more intense...

Click for larger version

but almost anything is better than a flat affect. You are right, communication is the key. If they don't realize how they are coming across, talk to them about it. If they like their picture when they look like they are pumped full of 500 cc's of botox, imagine how happy they will be showing real expressions.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 06-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborm View Post
The way I see it, there is nothing to smile about when you're hanging half naked off or on a motorcycle.
Again, it's not just about smiling or not smiling. There's a huge range of attitude and emotion in between. Often, it's very subtle. But even when its quite subtle, it can change the impact of the image dramatically.

My NSFW blog