Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lighting
Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53446
Comments: 0

photoguy2003 is offline IP: 68.12.33.142

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I was just wandering what i need to look for in studio lighting? im looking to buy a couple of lights, but i dont know what i need. Right now i have nothing, and am on a $200 Limit for lights. Do i need strobes, or will continuous lights? what is the difference between using umbrellas and soft boxes, and which is better? any information you have will help, and if anyone is looking to sell lights please let me know. Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoguy2003 Find More Posts by photoguy2003

Re: Lighting
Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.109

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Most would probably say that strobes are the way to go and I suspect that the majority of the photographers on G1 use strobe systems. But you are not really going to be able to buy much of anything for $200. At the most you could get one light and it would be underpowered and slow to recycle. So you probably will have to opt for hot lights. You can put together a reasonable three light outfit for $200 if you shop around or make your own.

What you really need to do is to get a good book on lighting that tells you all about the lighting and the modfiers (softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors and the like). I'm surprised that this is not being covered in your photographic courses at school. But you can pick up one of several books that will go into complete detail about all the lighting choices and the pluses and minuses of each.

Here is a link to an example of a typical cheap hot light setup:

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Victor-7...1700043&sr=8-8

For books, just type in "photographic lighting" and Amazon" and any of the books shown will have good information.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.163.81

If you can step up your budget slightly, I'd suggest Alien Bees. Great light, powerful, dependable, and can take a lot of abuse.

http://alienbees.com

If you're stuck with that as a budget - try out a Sunpack flash. Not the wimpy ones, the ones with a long handle. The 544 or 555. Or even the j something or other. You won't have much control in terms of modifiers, but they're highly portable.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.109

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
If you can step up your budget slightly, I'd suggest Alien Bees. Great light, powerful, dependable, and can take a lot of abuse.

If you're stuck with that as a budget - try out a Sunpack flash. Not the wimpy ones, the ones with a long handle. The 544 or 555. Or even the j something or other. You won't have much control in terms of modifiers, but they're highly portable.
I used both the Alien Bees and the Sunpak and can recommend them both. The AB's would be better if you can up the budget. I've been using the Sunpak Flash (Potato Masher is what we always called them) for more years than I can remember. You'll need to probablly find a used one however as I think they all sell for in the $300 to $400 range now days.

You can use them in light modifiers if you keep the model close. I had build some softboxes and reflectors using PVC pipe for use with the Sunpak. Dean Collins was selling a book back in the early 80's called Tinkertubes which detailed building these kinds of things. After he died his heirs put the book up on their website as a free download in pdf format. Here is the link, if you want to check it out:

http://www.software-cinema.com/page/tinkertubes

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
epeters
This message has been deleted by epeters.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53446

photoguy2003 is offline IP: 68.12.33.142

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Most would probably say that strobes are the way to go and I suspect that the majority of the photographers on G1 use strobe systems. But you are not really going to be able to buy much of anything for $200. At the most you could get one light and it would be underpowered and slow to recycle. So you probably will have to opt for hot lights. You can put together a reasonable three light outfit for $200 if you shop around or make your own.

What you really need to do is to get a good book on lighting that tells you all about the lighting and the modfiers (softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors and the like). I'm surprised that this is not being covered in your photographic courses at school. But you can pick up one of several books that will go into complete detail about all the lighting choices and the pluses and minuses of each.

Here is a link to an example of a typical cheap hot light setup:

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Victor-7...1700043&sr=8-8

For books, just type in "photographic lighting" and Amazon" and any of the books shown will have good information.

Cheers,
rfs
Yea, i dropped out of photoschool. I didnt like it there, and you guys here are better teachers then the ones i had. Thanks for the advice. it sounds like i need to get a couple more pay checks in to up my gear budget.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoguy2003 Find More Posts by photoguy2003

Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.226.25.40

If you check out stroblist.com, he talks all about doing photos on a shoestring budget. I might recommend going to a local photo store that does consignment and pick up on camera flashes and use them off camera. They are a strobe, light, portable, variable, and you can really do a lot more with them than I ever thought possible.

Best of luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59004
Send a message via AIM to JasonSTL739 Send a message via MSN to JasonSTL739

JasonSTL739 is offline IP: 72.1.161.157

A second for strobist. Awesome stuff. I've been amazed at what a couple of shoe mount flashes are capable of, especially if you have a more powerful one. You could build enough of a kit to start really experimenting for virtually nothing.

Great information on how to use them also...

http://strobist.blogspot.com

J
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonSTL739 Visit JasonSTL739's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonSTL739

Old 07-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 58497
Comments: 1

AHG_Photography is offline IP: 153.90.196.221

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy2003 View Post
I was just wandering what i need to look for in studio lighting? im looking to buy a couple of lights, but i dont know what i need. Right now i have nothing, and am on a $200 Limit for lights. Do i need strobes, or will continuous lights? what is the difference between using umbrellas and soft boxes, and which is better? any information you have will help, and if anyone is looking to sell lights please let me know. Thanks
This is my first post/reply on G1.

In the last 30 months or so, I have made the normal progression from the use of natural lighting to continous lighting and, most recently, to studio flash systems. My continuous lighting system is composed of four Smith-Victor Q60 600W quartz halogen lights, stands, umbrella mounts, and 42 inch silver (sometimes white) umbrella reflectors. The main components were purchased used off of e-Bay. The total cost was probably $500 or so but I insisted on excellent to near-new items. This system will take excellent quality glamour photos but of course heats the studio and the model much more than a flash system would. A similar system with only two light fixtures and in lesser but functional condition could be assembled for $200. The nice thing about the Smith-Victor Q60 lights is that they have been made for many years, are available in both new and used condition, and are US made with UL approvals. I have safety concerns about some of the low cost imported lights available.

You will probably progress to a studio flash system at some point. However, for the budget that you mention, continuous lighting is probably the only option.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AHG_Photography Find More Posts by AHG_Photography

Old 07-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 47835
Comments: 1

Murphy66 is offline IP: 67.187.228.24

I own Alien Bees and love them (sorry Rolando) but if your budget is really that tight you can try the Strobist route. You'd be amazed at what one or two off camera flashes can do but you'll be limited by the distances your model can be from the flashes.

Your biggest expense via Strobist is triggering the flashes. Optical triggers work pretty well but have to be in line of sight to work. Pocket Wizards are awesome but also carry an awesome price tag. There are also cheap radio triggers in eBay that some swear by and other curse.

There are some new bulbs on the market that make hot lights an option, especially some flouresent bulbs but you never get the output you really want. It is, however, a very cheap and easy way to start practicing that way you'll have a better idea of what to do when the big bucks come your way.

Best of luck, I feel you pain since I was there not so long ago.

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Murphy66 Visit Murphy66's homepage! Find More Posts by Murphy66

Old 07-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.14.162

Dean Collins used to do alot with metz handle flashes (like the sunpak 555/554)
Looks for his lighting basics vids and you will see him do alot with a couple of metz and some panels
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine