Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Malice Photo Shoot
Old 06-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58037
Comments: 1

Sarah McSib is offline IP: 76.212.94.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here's photos from a shoot I did with my friend Malice. These shots were taken June 11th with a HP PhotoSmart 735 digital camera.

Photography is a passion for me, as I am still learning so much. So please feel free to be very honest with my work, any criticisms or comments are greatly appreciated.

I'll post more photos from the shoot later in this thread.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sarah McSib Visit Sarah McSib's homepage! Find More Posts by Sarah McSib

Re: Malice Photo Shoot
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43515
Comments: 0

DHDSP is offline IP: 80.69.192.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Sarah,

just a couple of quick ones:

- I don't like women hugging trees (OK. That's my problem )
- Try to get the background more out of focus by changing the f-stop to smaller numbers (I hope the Photosmart 735 can be persuaded to do this)
- Don't cut off hands like in the first 2 images
- Try to rotate the shoulder a bit (like in the third one)
- Eye contact is always nice
- even better with catchlights...

Good luck to you and your beautiful friend!

CU
Peter

Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.228.245

Sarah,

The 3rd is the best. Primarily because you've composed the 1st two to give her the "amputated" arms effect which is not desirable. In the 1st shot, the other issues to watch when shooting are details like the necklace leaning off to one side and the bright reflection of the river below drawing the eyes away from the model which is distracting. Given your earlier posts and the camera you're working with, these aren't awful when considering that you probably do NO post processing work with Photoshop. Just about everyone here does some PS work on their images so your's will be difficult to compare to that standard other than composition and possibly exposure (if you aren't shooting in auto mode).

On the positive side, you're friend/model is pretty and it's seems she has a natural feel for posing as she is shooting you some nice "S" curves to capture in #1&#3. Hopefully, she'll let you continue to practice on her. Keep shooting and posting, it can only make you better.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 06-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58037
Comments: 1

Sarah McSib is offline IP: 76.212.94.219

Thank you both for your comments and critics. I really appreciate them. I will keep those things in mind next time I shoot.

I currently do not have PhotoShop. That's a program, I do plan to get my hands on eventually. The programs I do have are Paint Shop Pro 7 and PhotoFiltre.

My HP PhotoSmart 735 is a pretty basic digital camera. I don't have many options when it comes to changing the settings on it. However, I will continue to practice and play with the settings a bit.

Malice is a really good friend, and has been amazing with letting me take so many photos of her!

Here's a few more shots from the photo shoot...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Sarah McSib Visit Sarah McSib's homepage! Find More Posts by Sarah McSib

Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.228.245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah McSib View Post
I currently do not have PhotoShop. That's a program, I do plan to get my hands on eventually. The programs I do have are Paint Shop Pro 7 and PhotoFiltre.
If you can't afford Photoshop, try the free program GIMP. It's not quite as user friendly as PS but it's free. http://www.gimp.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah McSib View Post
My HP PhotoSmart 735 is a pretty basic digital camera. I don't have many options when it comes to changing the settings on it. However, I will continue to practice and play with the settings a bit.

Malice is a really good friend, and has been amazing with letting me take so many photos of her!
And it's even nicer that she's hot! Keep shooting as long as she'll let you.
Click for larger version

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

These are nice.

According to DPReview, the 735 allows +/- 2 stops compensation, but no manual settings. You can use that to compensate somewhat for images where the subject is darker than a light source/object in frame - like the trees in your other post, or the sixth image here - her face is shadowed relative to most of the frame. OTOH, notice how the skin of her leg is already blocked up - overexposed to the point of lost details and texture. DIgital sensors have a shorter range of light intensities that they can capture - less dynamic range. So you have to decide which you want to capture - the highlights or the shadows.

With your camera, I don't know whether you have any control of the depth of field, although a careful reading of the manual might reveal that. Generally, an "action" setting of the exposure will favor higher shutter speeds and thus wider lens openings and less dof.

For now, you should probably work on composition, vision, and exploring, while saving your pennies for a somewhat more flexible camera. But I like what you're doing.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479
Comments: 0

christian is offline IP: 207.244.163.81

Well you knew this was coming...

Dump the training wheels and act like you've " got a pair." ( Yeah, I know, I said "act") Start with a camera that won't think for you. If it doesn't say "M" or Manual... then consider the image to be a collaboration between you and HP. You didn't make it... you clicked the shutter - and in my book, that doesn't count.

Also, avoid " Muffin Tops " and " Rolls." I'm not talking about baking. When you turn the body or press "soft skin" against something - the results look fat. Pay attention to those things... and work them out before you click.

Good luck on the next set.