Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photos for Model Portfolio? And CD?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46418
Comments: 0

Slash_Page is offline IP: 64.13.37.171

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Not sure if this is in the right place but here is goes...
I was wondering what standards there are when it comes to a models Comp. card or portfolio. What is allowed when it comes to editing a photo for? My teacher in college said that anything you can do in a dark room you can do on Photoshop and it would not be a photo illistration. But in the modeling industry i dont think i have ever seen a photo that has not been liquified, airbrushed, or just totally manipulated from the original photo. At first i figured that for a modelings portfolio or comp. card it does not matter but then some one had asked me about the alterations and wondered if the agency she worked for wouuld allow it. I did not have an answer for her. She is just a friend that was helping me practice and since my photos wernt horrible she could use them too.
My other question was when doing time for cd what is the standard? If i take 500 photos and use 20 of them do i have to giver the model the whole 500? Also do i have to give them the photos edited and unedited?

Thanks for the help, as you can see i am new to this. All of my models are friends. Before i work with better models i want to better understand things, so not to seem totally oblivious.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Slash_Page Find More Posts by Slash_Page

Re: Photos for Model Portfolio? And CD?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 69.65.194.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash_Page View Post
...when it comes to a models Comp. card or portfolio. What is allowed when it comes to editing a photo
I've seen it done both ways - some agencies want minimal post-processing and others seem to prefer a 'smoother' look. I think it depends upon the model and the type of gigs she's up for since a client who has a model show up that doesn't resemble her card would probably be an unhappy client, whereas a talent scout who was considering a lifestyles model might accept the editing. I normally don't edit images headed for agency cards/comps unless told to do so - and one time was specifically warned not to and when the card came out, I was soooo surprised at the amount of editing someone did do. Go figure. Best thing to do is ask, methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash_Page View Post
...when doing time for cd ...f i take 500 photos and use 20 of them do i have to giver the model the whole 500? Also do i have to give them the photos edited and unedited?
Unless we've agreed otherwise, my standard is to give only finished/post-processed images to a TFCD/TFP model. I usually wind up doing more than I probably should (in terms of the time it takes me to get them all done) but what I tell the model is that I'll guarentee there's at least two for each set we do, and if she can't find two in the set, we'll reshoot it until she can find some images she likes. Never had to reshoot a set.

On a 500-shot day, I'd probably wind up with anywhere from 3-4 to 8-9 per set... and figure about a set every hour or so... so anywhere from 20-40 images on the CD when she gets it. Of course, your mileage may vary as to the agreement you make with the model.
It's all negotiable.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.163.81

I don't know if I should honk or just watch the wreck.

Are we talking about agency models, net models, fashion models, Texas models, NYC models, LA models?

Old 06-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.109

Some models will want to see all the shots and some only care about the post processed shots that they can use. I always get what expected in writing on the release before the shoot. That way there are no misunderstandings. Always try to do as much as you can in camera and that way there will be less work to do later. For the shots I do post process it primarily consists of sharpening eyes and light skin retouch. If I give the model all the shots, then I sometimes work out a deal where she can select x shots to be post processed. To decide what to offer you need to talk with the model and find out what she wants to do with the photos. If they are web only, then that will result in different post work than if they are for print, for example.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 06-12-2007 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Ok thanks, that helped. Pretty much gotta talk to the end users, modle or agency. ya my teacher told me the same thing about getgin it rigth the first time, told me it saves time in post production if you shoot it right, but im not nearly as good as you guys, but i do try. Well Thanks for the help.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Slash_Page Find More Posts by Slash_Page

Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.169.97

Lots of "if's" and "is's" involved in your question. First off, 'if' you P;shop the hell of out of an image making her look like a plastic Barbi Doll, then you have totally distorted her image and don't begin to show what the model actually looks like. Have you ever seen a living woman who has plastic looking skin? If you remove pores, blemishes which coul dnot be covered by makeup then you have not done the model any favors, not have you done an favors to anyonme who hires her based on your photos. IN fact you might be called some bad names by the next photographer or client. A headshot, portfolio pic or comp card is supposed to show what the model actually looks like, not some wet dream of a P'shop guru.

There is a great deal of difference between a photo intended for portfolio use and one actually published for commercial purposes, ie a fashion mag or whatever. A comercially published photo is ingtended for somne specific purpose and showing what the model looks like just ain't it. Magazins. cataloges and ads P'shop for their own puroposes and needs. A portolio shot, head shot or comp card is intended to tell a potential hirer what eh tmodle looks like. That person knows human models do not have skin by Matel and is likely to assume the model has some horendous skin problem which the photographer tried to mask with "'shop.

My own practive is to nothing with P'shop which cound not be done with makeup.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.163.81

Ah, the worst case scenerio for you. It's good to see you're so bold.

The hardest person to please is a model's agent - if they are a real agent. The nightmare about shooting for agencies, is that each one wants something different. Asking a model who has an agency, which one she likes, is futile... as the end of this line is the agent.

If you think the crew here is tough to impress... wait until you've met your first German or gay NYC booker. You'll sweat, urinate all over yourself, shake violently, and studder as they shred what little self-respect you once had... laughing loudly enough to attract the other bookers who will point and laugh as well. Later, they'll serve what remains of you on crackers to the photographers they've been working with for years. What makes it sting even worse ( other than the scotch they sip after eating the crackers ) is that you won't be paid for your work for quite some time - IF they allow you to shoot their models after the first showing. And strangely... that's IF THEY LIKE YOU.

Welcome to the club...

Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
wait until you've met your first German or gay NYC booker.
[grin] damn you made me spill my coffee...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 06-14-2007, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Well thats what i love about this type of photography. It is easy to take a nice picture of someone... but to create a photograph is a differnat story. My main experiance is in subjects and situations i have little or no control over, ie. sports photography. Glamour photography draws me in because i believe it is the hardest type of photography out there. Keeps me learning, and in my place...on my knees, begging please.

Thanks for the help, i guess it is a good thing that all i was really tought with photoshop was things that you can do in a darkroom and a lil bit of brushing.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.238.88.240

Well, I don't know what the norm is, but here's what I do, I edit down the pics, take out the really bad ones, poorly exposed, eyes closed, etc, and I don't give out unedited images, only the best get out. No raw unedited shots. Basic idea that I run with, I only want to put my good foot forward.

Isaiah