Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Noobie coming to Chicago
Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 51296
Comments: 0

chriso153 is offline IP: 72.86.84.249

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I will be in Chicago for business, but I'll be available the evenings of Jun 11-13. As the title says, I'm a newbie. I would like to do some work with a model down by the lake in the downtown area but I'm open to suggestions as to other places to work. The only portraits I have are of my kids, and I'm not sure this is the right place to post those, so I don't have anything to share. If you're willing to work with me, you'd be the first model I will have worked with. I'm not looking for TFP since I'm just getting started. If you are interested, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chriso153 Find More Posts by chriso153

Re: Noobie coming to Chicago
Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Thay's a tough one if you starting out with no images and no web site. May I just suggest that you post the same message on Chicago regional forum where more models read/post, may have a better luck connecting witha newbie model willing to do TFP, here is the link. http://chicagotalents.hyperboards.co...d_id=1&start=1

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 06-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for the info. I'll head on over there.

I've got a workshop I'll be attending at the end of July. I should have a decent amount of photos coming out of there. With any luck, some of they might even be decent.

I only got my camera about 3 months ago. Been saving up seems like forever to get it. I've been canvasing this website along with other photo related websites for a year now in anticipation of finally getting to take some photos other than the kids birthday parties and such. Seems like I can't find anybody I know that is willing to do any modeling, so I'm hoping that going somewhere else helps.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chriso153 Find More Posts by chriso153

Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 207.244.163.81

Hiya noobie. Since you're new and almost completely worthless to models thus far, here are some good suggestions to help you along the way.

Before dealing with highly reflective backgrounds ( like water ) - I'd suggest somewhere that light is more obvious... and easy to play with ( areas of shade and soft lighting ). I can only guess that you're using a digital camera.... which is sad, because slide film can teach more than any digital.... but if it's all you've got... so be it. If all you have is an auto-mode camera - toss it in the drawer and forget it. First rule is that you MAKE images. Don't let the camera think for you. Turn whichever dial to " M " for Manual.

Next rule, bring the elements of the image you're after with you. Luck shots suck and models hate them. Come with an idea in mind. If the idea you're shooting includes clothing from Victoria's - don't buy a red fishing line teddy from Walmart... and so on and so forth. Think of what you want and THEN go after it.

God it's been a while since I've posted an image.

Don't be afraid to fail. It's better to set out on your own and FAIL than to shoot over someone else's shoulder and have the same fcuking shot as everyone else that was there... worse yet is to attempt to take credit from the shoulder you were shooting over. I call those people " Konica's " ( low rate copiers ) or just plain " Dumbshyts."

Now go fcuk something up and let us make fun of you for it.

christian

Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Hiya noobie. Since you're new and almost completely worthless to models thus far, here are some good suggestions to help you along the way.
Harsh but dead on truth. That's why in my original post, I was absolutely clear that I was a noobie. It seems like I'm in a catch-22 at this point. You say to strike out on my own and fail. I absolutely, 100% agree with that. While I don't work for them, one of Google's overriding principles to their employees is to fail fast. You learn so much more that way. The hard part is getting started and finding someone that is willing to work with you knowing that it will be a crap shoot if any of the images come out worth anything.

So, given that my equipment consists of a Nikon D80 and an SB-800 speedlight, could somebody give me a pointer or two that would help me to get started in at least the right direction? I know making good images is not about the equipment, but using the equipment properly goes a long way toward making good images. Right now, I am just looking to do some casual portraits since, as you pointed out, I have nothing to go on. Once I improve my technique and creative thinking abilities (through massive failure ), I will then attempt to move to more of a glamorous style.