Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
looking to model
Old 06-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 58967
Comments: 0

fashiondiva17 is offline IP: 76.197.161.28

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello, I am a begginers model, I would love to model for a company,agency,or what ever with out paying them because I believe those are scams I looking to model very soon and to get paid some good money and be in top magazines and covers in no time. I am a teen of 17 I am 5"6 I weigh about 120 pounds any more info contact me at anytime at fashionballer@sbcglobal.net
THANKS!!! P.S. I do have pictures but for me to be safe I have to make sure you are a real company or agency to work further with
  View Public Profile Send a private message to fashiondiva17 Find More Posts by fashiondiva17

Re: looking to model
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashiondiva17 View Post
...I would love to model for a company,agency,or what ever with out paying them because I believe those are scams
When you're just getting started, you may have to pay someone to work up some portfolio pix for you - headshots, lifestyle looks, etc. Those are what you're going to use to keep other people (agencies) interested in hiring you for the paying gigs. It's no scam - you're paying a professional to provide you with professional services. But there are "agencies" and "managers" out there who will be trying to get you to part with your money, as well.

Quote:
I looking to model very soon and to get paid some good money and be in top magazines and covers in no time.
You and every other high school girl who's been told that she should be a model, as well. The fact is that your chances of "very soon" fame and fortune are about the same as you winning the Boston Marathon. Could happen, but not likely.

If you haven't done so already, check with some of the modeling agencies in the Chicago area and find out when they do "open calls" or interviews with potential models. Have your parents (legit agencies won't even talk to you, a minor, without your parent along)take you up there to see them - and see if you can find a few decent images of yourself that you can leave with them if need be. What you're looking for is someone at an agency who can tell you whether you might be what they're looking for at the time, and if so, what you need to do in order to be hirable by them.

Alternatively, make friends with local photographers who do commercial and/or catalog work, and get them to give you an idea of what you should be doing.

Another possibility is to watch for any "model searches" sponsored by your local shopping center / stores that aim at the tween/teen/young adult market (Dillards and Neiman Marcus are two such stores of the ilk that I'm thinking about here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area). These model contests give you a chance to meet with some folks who may be able to help you out - sometimes they lead to modeling contracts but since they're (if they're legitimate) not likely to charge you much for entering (I think the local rate is $25 or so), you'll not be out a lot of out-of-pocket expenses to get some information and experience. Then, hopefully, you'll have a better idea of what it is you want to do, and how to go about doing it.

Quote:
I am a teen of 17 I am 5"6 I weigh about 120 pounds any more info contact me at anytime at fashionballer@sbcglobal.net THANKS!!! P.S. I do have pictures but for me to be safe I have to make sure you are a real company or agency to work further with
This forum is primarily aimed at folks (usually individual photographers, hobbyists and professionals alike) who do Glamour photography and the forum rules (unless they've been changed) prohibit the posting of minor's images (unless it's family pix, or the like). You aren't going to find many, if any, agencies or companies looking for models here.

So, perhaps this is not the best place in the world for you to get your images online. There are online portoflio hosting services, and a lot of forums dedicated to would-be models, if you'll do a little bit of research.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

yea I figured that I might have to pay some agencies to get into bussiness...I have been told that....and I willing to pay some for a minnum few only if I know its not a scam...it's some what hard to find professional photographers,agencies,and such around my area.....I tried some did not reply so I guess they were a scam and others wanted a lot of money so any help of me getting started?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to fashiondiva17 Find More Posts by fashiondiva17

Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Quote:
yea I figured that I might have to pay some agencies to get into bussiness...I have been told that....and I willing to pay some for a minnum few only if I know its not a scam...it's some what hard to find professional photographers,agencies,and such around my area.....I tried some did not reply so I guess they were a scam and others wanted a lot of money so any help of me getting started?
If ya wanna hop on an airplane and fly down to DFW, there are several folks around here that would do you a good job for your portfolio pix - some specialize in glamour, some in lifestyle images, some in fashion... Not sure how close to the Chicago area you are (your portfolio says IL), but that'd be the place to start. There are some Chicago folks on, here, who may be able to point you in the right direction. Hopefully they'll chime in.

BTW, Just because an agency or a photog didn't reply to you doesn't mean they are a scam. Understand that there are beautiful girls out there everywhere, and many of them (many more than can ever achieve that dream) want to become working models. Again, most agencies don't accept walk-ins except on a limited basis.. in Dallas, there's usually a couple of days a month when they'll accept newbie walk ins. That's what you're looking for - get your foot in the door to see whether they think they can use you or not.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.68

Quote:
... If ya wanna hop on an airplane and fly down to DFW, there are several folks around here that would do you a good job for your portfolio pix - some specialize in glamour, some in lifestyle images, some in fashion...
Hey Wayne, I assume you're referring to me. Thanks for the compliments. LOL!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57235
Comments: 1

patobfoto is offline IP: 24.13.245.5

I do portfolio shoots all the time but they are usually for models over 18. If I ever shoot someone under 18, they must have a parent present. No exeptions. I rarely do a portfolio shoot without having seen an image of someone first though. It helps me know what I have to work with and what might look good as far as clothes, background, theme, etc.
Just the way I do things in the western burbs of Chicago.

Pat
  View Public Profile Send a private message to patobfoto Visit patobfoto's homepage! Find More Posts by patobfoto

Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

O most definetily my parents (basically my mom) is with me on this. I did upload a photo I dont know if you saw it or not. So far I have gotten good advice but no exact place to go.....what's up with that?

Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.109

Quote:
O most definetily my parents (basically my mom) is with me on this. I did upload a photo I dont know if you saw it or not. So far I have gotten good advice but no exact place to go.....what's up with that?
You need to put up professional photos. The one you've uploaded hardly qualifies. There are a number of good photographers in Chicago area. One that you might check out is the nationally known Art Ketchum.

http://www.artketchum.com/

I believe he is also a member here.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

Hey Roger, you hit the nail on the head. Art Ketchum is the one, in fact, Fashiondiva would do well if she could show up tomorrow in Art's workshop. it starts at noon and runs till 5:00 p.m. I would help her, but I no longer have studio of my own. Several photographers would be working with her including Art.
Pictured is Sativa Verte of New York City

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 06-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57235
Comments: 1

patobfoto is offline IP: 24.13.245.5

If you can bring your Mom with then we can shoot if your are interested. I am in Naperville and have my own studio. As a matter of fact, I just had dinner with Art Ketchum last Thursday while we spoke of photography issues.
He is a friend of mine. You can view my work here and also on my site. let me know if you are interested. My contact information is also there as well.

Thanks!

Pat O'Brien

www.patobrienphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to patobfoto Visit patobfoto's homepage! Find More Posts by patobfoto