Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What is tfcd modeling?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58572
Comments: 0

smtalha is offline IP: 82.10.84.90

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Im a beginer photographer and dont want to spend too much on models at this stage. I want to get the basics right before calling in or hiring a professional model. so some one suggested me to go for TFCD models. what are they and how does it work? Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Re: What is tfcd modeling?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 71.223.128.156

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtalha View Post
Im a beginer photographer and dont want to spend too much on models at this stage. I want to get the basics right before calling in or hiring a professional model. so some one suggested me to go for TFCD models. what are they and how does it work? Thanks
TFP = Time For Prints = Model's Time for your prints
TFCD = Time For CD = Model's Time for a CD of your images (instead of Prints)

There are more.. but mostly used for humor.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 05-12-2007, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGellert View Post
TFP = Time For Prints = Model's Time for your prints
TFCD = Time For CD = Model's Time for a CD of your images (instead of Prints)

There are more.. but mostly used for humor.
so how does this concept work? do i take their photos and give them a print out (or a cd)? is that it or is there any fees involved as well which the photographer owes the model?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Old 05-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 74.36.20.217

The whole concept is that no money changes hands. The model will pose for no money, she / he will get copies of the photos or a CD for their time and efforts.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.93.253

Quote:
TFP or TFCD and sometimes TFP/CD is where no money changes hands for the models or your time, but both of you walk away with something for both of your portfolios. Usually, if you shoot film, then it's a TFP and digital, it's a TFCD. Me, since I shoot both, I just make it a TFPCD, the model gets both prints and a cd regardless of the platform.

Isaiah

Old 05-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48213

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 152.163.101.13

Quote:
TFCD...I LOOKED IT UP FOR YOU IN THE DICTIONARY. IT'S SHORT FOR (LOSING YOUR ASS) HA HA....NOT THAT YOU SHOULDN'T START THERE, JUST DON'T STAY LONG!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Marty_McBride Find More Posts by Marty_McBride

Old 05-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.1.7

smtalha -

I see you're in the UK and assuming your copyright laws are similar to ours, you'll still need a signed model release from her describing how you and the model agree to use the resulting images, just to keep things out of court in the future. I heard of a 'tog down here who shot a girl for Hooters, had a signed model release from her, - and she still sued him!

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith
Last edited by DocSmith; 05-12-2007 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37080

grumblecat is offline IP: 71.197.82.78

An important thing to remember is that for it to work right you all need to be able to take something away from the shoot that you can use. So even though I try not to do any trade I will work with models who are better than any in my book on trade because I know the images I get are something I can use. So in your case since you haven't shot many models your going to have a more difficult time getting experienced models because you haven't necessarily shown a style that they will believe can be added to their book.

That means the challenge is you will likely work with inexperienced models, and you can take it from someone who went that route a bit if you have no experience and they have no experience you tend to fumble in the dark a bit.

I had one official model shoot before I went to a photo workshop, that workshop cost me a bit but let me work with 16 different experienced models in 4 days, I learned more even just from shooting with people who knew what they were doing that I would have learned in months on my own.

So I guess the moral of the story is, once your somewhat comfortable with your camera and your ability to get some sort of image, biting the bullet and paying an experienced model once to give you some ideas of how a good model moves and getting feedback from someone who has shot with many photographers can be beneficial, but you can get there any direction, just takes patience and perseverance.

gary roberts
My Website
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grumblecat Visit grumblecat's homepage! Find More Posts by grumblecat

Old 05-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.145.181

Here is a thread about what's fair in tfcd/p

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/model...-new-post.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

please accept my appologise for the late reply got caught up with some other work.

Thanks to of u who took time out and replied its much appreciated.

Doc: I'm not sure about the copyright laws in the US but over here in the UK the copyright law and human rights law are the 2 most important law and u wana avoid them as much as you can! Thanks for hinting it out to me that I still need a Model release documents even for tfp/cd, otherwise i'd gone ahead without it. it totally slipped out of my mind. sometimes the paper work kills you!

GumbleCat: You have raised an important point here. The whole point of me going for tfp/cd is that i can this way develop my own style and accumulate a decent portfolio. But if im working with inexperienced models and im inexperienced as well it would be very difficult to get it right.

I dont wanna work with experienced models simply because im inexperienced and this makes me nervous. cos i'd look silly fiddling about with the lights and composition and its not definite that the photos will come out top notch in 1st go.

your right about about workshops. but at the moment im tied up with other stuff as well and the workshops cost a fortune which i cant invest at the moment. although ive ordered some nice tutorial dvds about portrait shoot etc. so thats kinda helping me out.

I wanted to work with some local photographers who run their own studios and do model portfolios etc. im thinking of writing to them and asking them if they'd be interested in taking me up as an apprentice for a fortnight or so. but im not sure if they would wana keep me. i mean, you lot are experienced photographers, how would you react if someone like me sent you a speculative work experience letter? would you wanna invite me and why? in my spec letter ive written that if they take me up il contribute invaluable transferable skills from my academic an experience from other fields. etc etc...