Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lightining Help
Old 05-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58572
Comments: 0

smtalha is offline IP: 82.10.84.90

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

HI,
I've recently bought a set of 3 second hand 800w studio lamps (redheads) for my short film that im making. I want to use these lights for still photography as well.

So i started off my using 1 light as hair light, the other as my main light. I also placed some baking (tracing) paper on each light head with blue gel. Am I doing the right thing? Help Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Re: Lightining Help
Old 05-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtalha View Post
HI,
I've recently bought a set of 3 second hand 800w studio lamps (redheads) for my short film that im making. I want to use these lights for still photography as well.

So i started off my using 1 light as hair light, the other as my main light. I also placed some baking (tracing) paper on each light head with blue gel. Am I doing the right thing? Help Thanks.
I would think the paper could catch fire pretty easily. Why did you want this tracing paper on the light head? What kind of photography do you want to take? You've really given no information about what you are doing other than a fairly vague description. Why did you want a blue gel? Try to be very specific in what your goal is and show an example of what you are getting now.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Cool
Old 05-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512

Fish is offline IP: 72.153.64.241

I think he is trying to cool the color of the light for his still work by using a blue gel. The lights are probably quartz and not color balanced, at least that's where I think he is going, RFS.

smtalha, what you might want to do is if you are using a digital SLR, set the color balance on the camera to something that will give you better color rather than try to gel the lights (which can get a bit dangerous with hot lights). The manual that came with the camera will tell you what setting you can use when shooting with quartz lighting.

Good luck!

John
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
(305) 534-9322
www.JohnFisher.Com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

thanks for the reply guys!
well ive a dslr fuji s9500 its a semi-pro camera. im trying to take some portrait shoots of models (or at least practicing) and im hoping that once i get the basics right i can progress on to fashion photography.

well the reason why im using blue gel is because my 800w redhead light is tungsten so im trying to neutralize the colour it emits.

the barking paper that im using is to defuse the light so it doesnt hit the subject hard hence creating a softbox effect. the original softbox for a redhead light is too expensive so im going for a cheaper option.

i tried a couple of shots against a black backdrops but its not giving me the same result as a softbox. plus im just learning the tricks of dslr and im doing everything manually, but no matter how much i try the pictures seem to come out slightly blury. ive been photographing using f4 @ 1/50 ISO 200-100
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smtalha Find More Posts by smtalha

Re: Cool
Old 05-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I think he is trying to cool the color of the light for his still work by using a blue gel. The lights are probably quartz and not color balanced, at least that's where I think he is going, RFS.

smtalha, what you might want to do is if you are using a digital SLR, set the color balance on the camera to something that will give you better color rather than try to gel the lights (which can get a bit dangerous with hot lights). The manual that came with the camera will tell you what setting you can use when shooting with quartz lighting.

Good luck!

John
john i just visited your website and i was impressed at looking at the quality of your images. thats the kind of portraitures im hoping to aim for. i know i wont be able to produce as stunning results like yourself at this stage but eventually i'll mature and would want to produce results like the way you do.

so far ive learnt that lighting is hard especially when one doesnt have the adequate lights like softbox etc

Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtalha View Post
thanks for the reply guys!
well ive a dslr fuji s9500 its a semi-pro camera. im trying to take some portrait shoots of models (or at least practicing) and im hoping that once i get the basics right i can progress on to fashion photography.

well the reason why im using blue gel is because my 800w redhead light is tungsten so im trying to neutralize the colour it emits.

the barking paper that im using is to defuse the light so it doesn't hit the subject hard hence creating a softbox effect. the original softbox for a redhead light is too expensive so im going for a cheaper option.

i tried a couple of shots against a black backdrops but its not giving me the same result as a softbox. plus im just learning the tricks of dslr and im doing everything manually, but no matter how much i try the pictures seem to come out slightly blury. ive been photographing using f4 @ 1/50 ISO 200-100
As already mentioned, you can dispense with the gels and just handle the color balance with the camera settings. As for the baking or tracing paper, that is not going to give you softer light. Soft light is determined by the size of the light source and its distance from the model. The larger the light source and the closer it is to the model, the softer the light, and thus the more diffuse the shadows. If the shots are blurry, then either you are not setting the focus properly, or you have something wrong with the lens or camera, or you have camera or subject motion that causes a blur. If you want a cheap soft light, you can make one out of PVC pipe and a thin white bed sheet. If you are shooting at f4 and at 1/50th, then you may be having camera motion (try a tripod). If you are using the focus, lock and recompose method of shooting, then that can also cause lack of sharp focus. Publish some examples with the exact specs of the shot.

Here is an example of a shot with a set of cheap shop lights (500 watt - one light):

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
As already mentioned, you can dispense with the gels and just handle the color balance with the camera settings. As for the baking or tracing paper, that is not going to give you softer light. Soft light is determined by the size of the light source and its distance from the model. The larger the light source and the closer it is to the model, the softer the light, and thus the more diffuse the shadows. If the shots are blurry, then either you are not setting the focus properly, or you have something wrong with the lens or camera, or you have camera or subject motion that causes a blur. If you want a cheap soft light, you can make one out of PVC pipe and a thin white bed sheet. If you are shooting at f4 and at 1/50th, then you may be having camera motion (try a tripod). If you are using the focus, lock and recompose method of shooting, then that can also cause lack of sharp focus. Publish some examples with the exact specs of the shot.

Here is an example of a shot with a set of cheap shop lights (500 watt - one light):

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs
thanks a bunch fredrick! its much appreciated! and the sample photo u posted above is the type of quality i want. il try the pvc pipe and bed sheet tip. one question, if the model above was in the centre of a clock where did u position the lights. as i read it u positioned to lights about 4 o'clock. and the light is positioned from the side not from the top am i right? how far was the light source from the subject. because im based in united kingdom and over here the rooms are very tiny u see. too many constraints here unfortunately.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

The shots of Liz were made in a small room about 16x12. She was about 6 feet from the light. Here is a photo of the light setup

cheers,
rfs

Old 05-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
The shots of Liz were made in a small room about 16x12. She was about 6 feet from the light. Here is a photo of the light setup

cheers,
rfs
wow wow wow... thats approximately how big our rooms are in the UK. the setup is very simple yet very neat! give me a few days to re-create this setup at my place and il then send you a copy of how it looks. i do have the photo that i took that i was talking about earlier but the model was my sister who kindly did the modeling for me but she is not happy about the idea of me posting her image on the net so il make myself a model and show you my setup.
and im still figuring out how to create a softlight from a pvc pipe and bed sheet. give me sometime to figure out myself then il ask you for your help.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

hi Fredrick, John and everyone. sorry for the late reply got caught up with some other stuff.

So im showing u my small home made studio. it will give u the feel of what kinda limitations im working in.

fredrick: ive tried to emulate the simple studio setting you have shown me above. ur tips really helped me! thanks for that.

unfortunately ive just realized i cant upload my images into this thread for some reason. why si that? or how do i upload them?