Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Any one elce been selecterd for this award?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.211.137

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Looks good but---
[Congratulations, Only a small percentage of individuals were selected]
Dear Tony,

Over the past year or so, we have been reviewing the thousands of photographs that have been submitted to us, as well as examining various pictures that have been featured by other photography publishers. After an exhaustive examination of this photographic artistry, The International Library of Photography has decided to publish a collection of new photos taken by the best photographers we have encountered.

Tony, I am pleased to tell you that you have been selected to appear in this special edition . . .

THE BEST PHOTOS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS OF 2007
Library of Congress ISBN 0-7951-5306-6

[You must submit your photo as soon as possible!]

Congratulations on your accomplishment, Tony! Only a small percentage of individuals whose photos we have examined were selected to be part of this distinguished group of outstanding photographers.

And that's not all. To honor the accomplishment of this elite group of talented individuals, we have established a separate contest with over $4,500.00 in prizes to be awarded. You will automatically be entered into the final competition, but you must submit a new photograph (if you have not already done so). Prizes will be announced this winter, with an anticipated publication date of December 31, 2007. (This is a tentative date. More information will follow.)

The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 will be among the finest quality books we have ever published, so your photography will be presented in the most elegant way possible. Every aspect of publication and design will convey the quality craftsmanship and attention to detail that will go into the production of this special edition. The coffee-table quality book will feature a deluxe cover and spine. The stock itself will be of fine-milled, acid-free paper to last for generations, and quality typography will be displayed throughout.

Best of all . . .

This special edition will feature a new, unpublished photograph by Tony Weatherman!

Before going any further, Tony, let me make one thing clear . . . you were selected for publication on the basis of your previously published photo. Your new photo, which you will select for this edition, will be accepted for publication on the basis of your previous accomplishments. Your prior photo was among the most interesting pictures we have encountered, so we wish to feature your artistry in this special edition and make this special prize money available to you and the others who have been chosen. You are under no obligation whatsoever to submit any entry fee or subsidy payment, or to make any purchase of any kind.

As I mentioned above, your photograph will be accepted into this special edition, and as soon as we receive your picture, it may be immediately published on our website, www.picture.com and entered into the final competition of the contest. And let me reassure you, your photographic image remains your property - The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 is copyrighted as a compilation. This means that you retain the copyright to your own work of art. In order to make our scheduled publication date, you must submit your photo as soon as possible (if you haven't already done so). Please make sure to use your unique control number, 2054824 - 7502, when entering your photo.

Again, congratulations, Tony. The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 promises to be the most exclusive and widely enjoyed collection of photographs we have ever published. We feel that you take wonderful, captivating photographs, and we believe your newly submitted photo will add to the importance and appeal of this edition. Your contribution to this project is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Bryan
Managing Editor

P.S. Tony, you should be genuinely proud of your accomplishment. You have been selected to participate in this very special project because of your unique vision. It is our pleasure to publish fine photographs such as yours in this special volume. And, most importantly, once you submit your photo to this special project, you may purchase a copy of The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 at our special pre-publication price, if you wish to do so. The International Library of Photography will send you additional information about this special offer.

Please go here to submit your photo as soon as possible (if you haven't already done so). Please make sure to use your unique control number, 2054824 - 7502, when entering your photo.
This email was sent by: Picture.com 3600 Crondall Lane, Suite 100 Owings Mills, MD, 21117,
To Unsubscribe: Unsubscribe

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.467 / Virus Database: 269.6.2/785 - Release Date: 5/2/2007 2:16 PM
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Re: Any one elce been selecterd for this award?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.169.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK, so the scam here is to get you to give them an image of your to put into a book they will let you buy?

Wonderful! How many can you get? Is there a line forming somewhere?

What is with some people. I hate liars and people who cheat others.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36702
Comments: 4
Send a message via AIM to dustylenscap

dustylenscap is offline IP: 68.1.30.22

Yep, been there, done that too!
It's called creative marketing (for them)

Dusty
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dustylenscap Visit dustylenscap's homepage! Find More Posts by dustylenscap

Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

These books have been around for many years... I've heard 'em called "vanity books". You submit your image... pay a fee... and get a copy of the book that you can put on your coffee table or point to as a "tear" or publishing credit.

My wife bought me a spot in one a few years back as a birthday present. I think she paid $50 or so... and we got a book that I wouldn't necessarily have spent any money on, but ya know what.. I've still got it in the bookshelf!

So long as you don't believe the hype (yes, Tony.. we selected YOU out of millions of Earthling!).. and have the money to throw on a gimmick book.. then what the heck. It's something your brother-in-law won't have (unless he's one of the chosen ones, as well!).

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Yes, this same scam is also used in other industries such a poetry. I don't know how many times over the years I've been selected as one of the outstanding poets of the century. Also there is a Who's Who version of this scam.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-04-2007, 03:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.176.203

That specific one, no. But as others commented it is a sort of a scam. Yes, they do produce a book, usually of low quality, which is then marketed to those who have photos in the book. It will NOT appear on the shelves of your local bookstore or anyplace else. It's legal because they do what they say they will do, produce a book containing your image, but that's about it. thee are a dozen or so "books" being marked like this under various names.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.1.240

Count me as one of the select 9,758,352,234,186 Top Photographers of 2007 also! And I thought I was so special...

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 05-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 72.178.235.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwphoto View Post
Looks good but---
I would do it...really I would...But I can't at this time cuz I just sent a $62,500 check overseas (Africa I believe) to some poor guy who has billions but for some reason can't get the money here in the states (it's complicated but I believe him). I hope to get my 10 million dollar check anyday now...THEN maybe I can do the book thingy...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58495
My Mood:

Jeff_Adam is offline IP: 208.14.110.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Yes, this same scam is also used in other industries such a poetry. I don't know how many times over the years I've been selected as one of the outstanding poets of the century. Also there is a Who's Who version of this scam.

Cheers,
rfs
Yeah, my daughter writes poetry and submitted something for Poetry.com's "contest", and they sent pretty much the same thing. Sixty bucks for a book and you'll see your poem in it. I guess if you go in to it knowing your getting swindled out of $50 but want to say you've been published in a book, then why not. Personally I'd rather spend the time and money and publish my own book on lulu.com or some site of that nature.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jeff_Adam Visit Jeff_Adam's homepage! Find More Posts by Jeff_Adam

Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

Another one that made the list for Poetry.com - and it gets even better when they send you the notice that you're invited to an 'awards' presentation that you have to not only pay for the trip, but you have to pay for the trophy! Mind you, the initial letter (yes... on paper) that I received is still in my personal 'vanity book'.

I like to think of it as a small honour to be one of the few hundred that were selected out of the much larger batch of submissions... it still felt good.

Cheers!
njw
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug