Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Something New
Old 04-30-2007, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55264
Comments: 0

missinglink786 is offline IP: 72.89.250.171

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

These are the first few shots for my project on tattooing for my photojournalism class.

View Public Profile Send a private message to missinglink786 Find More Posts by missinglink786

Re: Something New
Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinglink786 View Post
These are the first few shots for my project on tattooing for my photojournalism class.
What was your goal with these photos? Was there a specific assignment or set of parameters for how the photos should be made and of what? Why the last photo of the person with no tattoos?

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55264

missinglink786 is offline IP: 72.89.250.171

The point of the assignment was to find a topic and "expose" something about it. So, being tattooed myself, I chose to "expose" the discrimination that exists against tattooed individuals, but is very rarely heard of. I've had tattooed friends, hell even myself, avoided by people in public, caught stares and other looks, been passed over for jobs, it's a sad situation and it's even sadder that it isn't as big a deal as other forms of discrimination. The project is meant to "humanize" tattooed people and show how we're not all "psychos" and monsters.

Each photo will be followed by a line or two dealing with the topic the image is illustrating.

For example, the star is on my girlfriend's wrist. She is forced to cover it with a bracelet, watch, etc. at work. It's going to be side by side with an identical photo with the watch on to cover it.

The image of the person with no tattoos will be followed by some text to show that the stereotypical "rocker" person isn't necessarialy a tattooed monster. It will also be followed by a written statement from that person, who is very against tattooing, about why he is against it.

The first image deals with how most religions are against tatooing. However, a majority of tattoos deal with religious subjects.

And the one of my girlfriend and I (thats my forearm with the rosary beads) holding hands is meant to show that even us tattooed "monsters" sustain normal relationships and are normal people just like regular folks.

Thanks for asking RFS, I realize now I probably should have given a little more information in the original post. I was just happy to finally be seeing some of these images finished. The final project is going to be somewhere between 30 and 50 images.....and I have 2 weeks to finish.....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to missinglink786 Find More Posts by missinglink786

Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

"Why the last photo of the person with no tattoos?"

I'm glad you asked - I thought I was just getting blinder.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

I kinda like the third and fourth images, but the others leave me pretty cold, and I'm not opposed to ink.

I don't know the expectations of your PJ prof, but I think (1) a 30-50 image project is pretty large; (2) more effort on the images, less on the explanatory text. Both RFS and myself viewed your images and weren't clear what they were supposed to be representing. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but IMO RFS's got a good eye and insights and if he finds your images puzzling, probably your prof will, too.

Part of my profession involves publishing reports that are reviewed by others in my field (referees), who give a thumbs up or down for publication. Not infrequently, I get a referee's comments that indicate that they didn't understand what I was saying. My first response is, "Stupid referee doesn't know sh*t" but eventually I come to reality - I failed to communicate my thoughts clearly enough.

Sounds like a good assignment and a good idea. Work hard. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57288

Viajero is offline IP: 65.191.52.233

Hmmm... interesting feedback on this so far.

First, let me say that I find the topic intriguing, but there's a fundamental flaw with the approach. If in fact it is "photojournalism", then I would recommend that you have no agenda, ie: exposing anti-tat bias, but rather tell the unvarnished story of tattoo culture, or whatever phrase you want to use to describe it. Do that well and the story line of bias will surface, but so will the other aspects of a life with ink and the viewer will be informed and can draw his or her own conclusions.

If you approach it with an agenda, it's not photojournalism. It's a photo editorial.

Consider the work of Eugene Smith. When he did his work on Minamata, he showed the world what life was like in Minamata. That these people were being crippled by mercury poisoning was a (previously unknown and gruesome) fact of life, and he showed this without adding or deleting anything, and the world drew the appropriate conclusion through his images.

A written journalism piece should be able to stand on its own without photos. Same is true for a photojournalism piece. It should be able to stand without words. If you have to explain either, then you didn't communicate well enough.

Just my 2 cents' worth.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Viajero Visit Viajero's homepage! Find More Posts by Viajero

Old 04-30-2007, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.43.126

I caught a documentary on Discovery this weekend about tattooing -World of Tattoo's - I think. It was interesting because it told a story of tatto's from the earliest days when sailors began getting them in tropical locales all the way to modern day extremists like lizard man in Austin, TX. Also had some footage about tattoo removal at a church sponsored clinic in LA. Maybe you can check it out for ideas when it's on again.

Harder to tell the story with still images but if you've got 50 images to do it with, you should be able to eke a story line out that has some flow to it.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1