Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lighting Books
Old 04-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39426
Comments: 0

leeharvey is offline IP: 81.86.150.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I wondered if anyone could recommend a good book on studio lighting techniques.
I am looking for a book to demonstrate the use of different types of light modifiers such as softboxes and beauty dishes and also techniques such as how to feather lights.

Also I would be greatful of any recommendations on books for posing models.

I have recently bought Rolando's book Garage Glamour but have surprisingly found it very disappointing in these areas.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to leeharvey Find More Posts by leeharvey

Re: Lighting Books
Old 04-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeharvey View Post
I wondered if anyone could recommend a good book on studio lighting techniques.
I am looking for a book to demonstrate the use of different types of light modifiers such as softboxes and beauty dishes and also techniques such as how to feather lights.

Also I would be grateful of any recommendations on books for posing models.

I have recently bought Rolando's book Garage Glamour but have surprisingly found it very disappointing in these areas.
RG's book is coming from a different angle and it is somewhat assuming that you already are conversant with the basics. One of the best pure lighting books (and also lots of posing ideas) is:

Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers by Christopher Grey

He shows illustrations throughout of each possible position of the lights and different ratios and how each looks.

For a posing guide I often use the Gil Elvgren Book of Illustrations. There are 300 to 400 posing ideas (all illustrations, of course), but I often show them to models and they give the starting idea. I also use several of the Peter Gowland catalog books. They were a series of little catalogs of images that he would send out to editors. They had 200 or 300 small photos each and were great for guides to the models.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39426

leeharvey is offline IP: 81.86.150.140

Thanks rfs for taking the time to post a suggestion
On your recomendation I will order the book by Christopher Grey in the morning

Lee Harvey
  View Public Profile Send a private message to leeharvey Find More Posts by leeharvey

Old 04-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.160.101

Look for Dean Collins Vids
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 04-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57288

Viajero is offline IP: 65.191.52.233

I have read customer reviews of Roland's book on Amazon, and some customers said the same thing. Generally I believe they expected a cookbook ("put the girl here, the lights here and here, etc") which it is not. I found Roland's book to be very insightful, but Mr. Smith is correct. It's for photographers, not novices.

I second the recommendation re: Christopher Grey's book. Excellent in every way.

For posing, browse through Posing for Portrait Photography by Jeff Smith (Amherst). I did, and bought the book. Extremely helpful.

And that's an excellent idea to use a book of Elvgren illustrations. Never thought of that!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Viajero Visit Viajero's homepage! Find More Posts by Viajero

Old 04-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54108
Send a message via AIM to DavidsStudio

DavidsStudio is offline IP: 70.112.141.49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonFromMaine View Post
Look for Dean Collins Vids
I second that. I got the Best of Dean Collins on Lighting Link and thought it was one of the best sources of lighting information I have found. It will show you how to do more with one light than you can imagine and how to effectively control light to get the effect you want.

Best

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidsStudio Visit DavidsStudio's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidsStudio
Last edited by DavidsStudio; 04-29-2007 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: DVDs sold

Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.210.26.225

I am going to presume you are looking for books on studio photography of models in glamour type situations.

There are a LOT of books which touch on this subject. It really depends a great deal on what specific type images you intend to create.

The best way to find a book that meets your needs is to visit a large bookstore or camera store and browse their photography book shelves. There's really no good substitute for having the book in your hands.

One thing to keep in mind these days is that some bookstores put the books with 'digital' in the title in a separate location. Thus Glamour Lighting for Digital Photography (not a real title!) wouldn't necessarily be with the rest of the photography books, but in a separate section with all the other 'digital' camera books.

If you can't get to a large bookstore, there are the on-line bookstores such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc. which usually do a pretty good job of describing a book. And those with reader reviews give you a better perspective on what you are buying.

My personal recommendation...

Lighting for Glamour Photography by David Kimber and Duncan Evans. About $25. It's not strictly studio lighting, and it covers a number of other topics, but it's definitely aimed at glamour shooters. It has little diagrams showing the lighting setups for many of the images. Besides that, the images are great and the models are beautiful...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 04-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsStudio View Post
I second that. I got the Best of Dean Collins on Lighting Link and thought it was one of the best sources of lighting information I have found. It will show you how to do more with one light than you can imagine and how to effectively control light to get the effect you want. (If you decide to get a copy, let me know. I'm selling mine for well below what it is listed for and mine is in new condition - end of commercial).

Best

David
The Dean Collin stuff is, indeed, great stuff. Also, if you can find it, there was a series (Finelight) he was putting out in the 1983 where you got a very attractive 6 page spread each month that showed a complete lighting setup and the result along with the discussion of how it was shot and illustrations on building the light modifiers (also see Tinkertubes book of PVC light modifiers you can build). It also had the Polaroid check shots for the effect of each light as the set was built. In searching around I found two sets (12 issues) of the 1983 edition. If someone is interested in one of the sets, contact me for details. If you are interested in the Tinkertubes book then here is a link to a pdf copy (on the old Collins site):

http://www.software-cinema.com/page/tinkertubes

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44922
Send a message via MSN to Frozty

Frozty is offline IP: 189.134.42.178

Some are not lighting related, but they will help you too, specially SKIN,
Adobe Photoshop CS2: The Art of Photographing Women
Lighting Techniques for High Key Portrait Photography
Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait: The Art of Celebrity and Editorial Photography
Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers
Lighting Techniques for Low Key Portrait Photography
Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Frozty Find More Posts by Frozty

Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.211.137

Mr smith

Go here and their it is. just print it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ddo...m9x6k#PPA14,M1
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto