Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Holley from Birmingham workshop
Old 04-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 58489
Comments: 0

studio32d is offline IP: 68.205.219.163

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This one defies the "above the joint" cropping rule, but I still like it.

Your opinions are, as always, welcome.

Murph
studio32d
Last edited by studio32d; 07-04-2007 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: file has been relocated

Re: Holley from Birmingham workshop
Old 04-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57288

Viajero is offline IP: 65.191.52.233

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Your cropping isn't all that bad, but any higher and it would not have worked at all.

Personally, I would have liked to see just a little more space around Holly, a little "breathing room", and maybe crop a little lower to show at least some of her underwear. Reason: the top and bottom are complete halves of the clothing ensemble, and to me the scene seems incomplete without enough of the bottom for my mind's eye to complete the picture.

Also, I'm guessing there is a curve in her hip of some sort below the frame, and by including more of her bottom there is a continuity of curve that would provide some leading lines in the composition for the eye to follow. I don't really know without seeing the rest of the image, but that's what I'd be looking for if I were composing the shot.

One of the classic lines in art is the S-curve, and by turning Holly just a bit to the side and not cropping out her hips you can get the S-curve line from her neck all the way down to her rear, which is visually interesting and very sexy. Also, you get a curve along the front which can complement the back curve, and this sometimes works well for small busted women to create curves.

Your exposure is excellent, and you make her skin look flawless. I haven't met Holly, she probably has great skin, but you've shown it off very well. The background separation is just right, the scene conveys the mood without any distracting details. The catchlights are good, her pupils are dilated enough to make her eyes look big but not so much that they don't show off her pretty green eyes.

Not bad. Room for improvement, but I like it too.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Viajero Visit Viajero's homepage! Find More Posts by Viajero

Old 04-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

studio32d is offline IP: 206.100.93.140

Viajero-

Thanks for taking the time to critique this image. You make some valid points and I'll keep them in mind.

As for the lack of negative space, I probably should have used a wider framing. There were some distracting elements both to the left and to the right and I fell prey to my instinct to not include them in the frame. However, it would have been better to include them and crop them out later- leaving more some negative space at the top and some panty/hip at the bottom.

Holley does have beautiful skin. If I made it look great, it was by not covering it up.

Thanks again for taking the time,

Murph
studio32d
Last edited by studio32d; 04-28-2007 at 01:58 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.161.130

While she is an amazingly beautiful girl, and the exposure and skin tone is right on, it just would have been better if you had cropped her correctly. This is not a great picture, but a picture of a great girl.

The lighting and color balance of the model, wardrobe and room all work extremely well. Was this a workshop or a private session?

Given the time to work with her, I would have moved her to the other side of the bed and done a landscape crop. Here it would force your eye out of the picture. IF I had to work on this image alone, a custom vertical crop to just below her breasts would have been my choice.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 04-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio32d View Post
This one defies the "above the joint" cropping rule, but I still like it.
Your opinions are, as always, welcome.
Very nice shot. Hard to miss with Holley. But I think that this is a time when the ATJ rule would be appropriate. Here's a fast example using a Rule of Thirds crop.

What do you think?

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

KG,

Thanks for your input. I agree that the framing of this image is less than optimal. That was part of the motivation for the post - there was a significant, obvious "flaw" and yet, I still liked it.

Quote:
This is not a great picture, but a picture of a great girl.
I wouldn't call this image great and Holley is a great girl. However, I could take a picture of my sister (who is a great girl) and the result would be something very different, I think.

Every now and then I ask "or is it just me?" In the case of this image, perhaps it is.

Thanks again for your comments,

Murph
studio32d

Old 04-28-2007, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

RFS,

I appreciate the example. I tried a similar crop but, without the forearms it felt stiff to me - as if Holley was standing at attention.

In your example, however, I don't see that. I think the absence of the outside edge of her right arm (our left) is the difference.

Thanks for helping me see it.

Murph
studio32d

Old 04-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.153.50

I got to give RFS props for being able to show what I could only say.

I also got to give props to studio32d for taking some pretty hard criticism from me very well. I like your signature line as well.

It is hard to do your best work under the time constraints of a workshop I imagine.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Props to you, my good man.

You're right about the shooting pace of a workshop. Some shooters get greedy and shoot 3 or 4 times the number of frames recommended at each set. I tend to work quickly to compensate. This particular set was no exception. It's no excuse for a poor composition, however.

As for your suggestion of a wide horizontal framing- I like it. When possible, I'd rather shoot an "environmental portait" than a headshot or a 3/4. This set just didn't lend itself to that.

Thanks for your critique. We really only learn from error.