Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Laci
Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 58475
Comments: 0

sanvodal2 is offline IP: 85.195.123.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Polite C&C welcome as always, thanks
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by sanvodal2

Re: Laci
Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Pretty girl, Mr. Ness.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.45.126

The cropping off of the top of her head doesn't bother me in this instance, though there are some things going on with her hair that are unfortunate. However, there really isn't anything of interest going on at the bottom of the frame. Cropping off the bottom to get an 8x10 ratio improves things greatly.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 04-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 58475

sanvodal2 is offline IP: 85.195.123.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobArtLyn View Post
The cropping off of the top of her head doesn't bother me in this instance, though there are some things going on with her hair that are unfortunate. However, there really isn't anything of interest going on at the bottom of the frame. Cropping off the bottom to get an 8x10 ratio improves things greatly.
Robert, I agree about the cropping on the head; I croped it this way to focus on the face and eyes, hence the head cropping. I wanted this shot to exude confidence, and it certainly does imho.

Cropping is very subjective, so I'll make note of your comment about the bottom. I did want to leave enough in the bottom to allow the arm on her left to "flow". This is pretty much out of the camera onthe crop so there's plenty of detail that can be removed from cropping it more for an 8x10 etc (if that's the print wanted).

Thanks for the comments guys!
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by sanvodal2

Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

There is just too much of this image that looks too unnatural to me. It kinda looks like the face was computer generated by some morphing software. The skin, eyes, and mouth all look extremely unnatural to me.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Even though this poster has been banned for violation of the G1 rules, the photo nevertheless is worth talking about as it does illustrate problems in composition, posing (and detail work) and post processing problems.

If there is a clear purpose for cropping off part of the head, then it may work. In this case, since it it just a tiny bit of the hair at the top, I would mark it off to careless framing in the camera. Its either that or he tried to do a knockout and messed it up somehow. Look how unnatural the edge of the hair looks. My guess is he was trying to go for a completely white background and missed on the lighting, and so he tried to do a selection (knockout) of the model and then whiten the background.

I also don't care for the wrinkles in the lower part of the dress. That is a small detail that should be dealt with during posing.

It also illustrates bad cropping for the lower part of the photo. If he had cropped above the joint of the arm, that would improve the composition from a cropping standpoint. As it is now the arms are just sort of floating off to the side and look as if no direction had been given on how to position the arms.

Also the fold of flesh by the arm pit on the left is an example of paying attention to detail. Proper posing will solve that sort of problem.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.147.2

Gentlemen,

This is obviously a trolling photo. He caught one. Got a few nibbles. I am sorry he felt the need to take advantage of Jford's good nature. Although I think his remark was a little tongue in cheek.

This is just a joke photo. It is a compilation of all the criticisms or previous images. It still falls short since he wasn't able to get in a shot of an arm pit.

He can't even do bad correctly.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

FWIW, you'll notice I didn't comment on the photography, only the subject.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 58500

john denver is offline IP: 85.195.119.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
If there is a clear purpose for cropping off part of the head,
As was mentioned, to focus on the face and eyes... so yeah you're right the crop is perfect. Cropping is highly subjective and you keep acting like it's a rule or something. Lesson #1: it isn't.

Quote:
My guess is he was trying to go for a completely white background and missed on the lighting, and so he tried to do a selection (knockout) of the model and then whiten the background.
Absolutely incorrect...

Quote:
It also illustrates bad cropping for the lower part of the photo.
Nope. THe cropping is great it makes her appear thinner and her lower half "flows" very femininely.

Quote:
Also the fold of flesh by the arm pit on the left is an example of paying attention to detail. Proper posing will solve that sort of problem.

Cheers,
rfs
What "fold of flesh" are you talking about? I don't see one. WRong again.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by john denver

Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.13.244

Quote:
Originally Posted by john denver View Post
As was mentioned, to focus on the face and eyes... so yeah you're right the crop is perfect.
OK, fine, if you are going to live up to your reputation, so be it.

If your intent was to focus on the face and eyes, why are they up in the stratosphere, while you have wasted most of the bottom of the shot on a vast wasteland of somewhat wrinkled stripes, devoid of any interesting form or texture? A photography student turning this in as a Photo 101 assignment would be told that the composition of the shot was too unbalanced (!!!) and not in a successful, artsy/edgy/creative manner.

Quote:
THe cropping is great it makes her appear thinner and her lower half "flows" very femininely.
If you think that a candy striped tree trunk flows femininely. This isn't a dig at the model. You just didn't do right by her.

Quote:
What "fold of flesh" are you talking about? I don't see one. WRong again.
I have taken the liberty to crop your shot as I described in my first post to minimize the damage, and have done a quick and dirty highlight of the unfortunate hair problem that I mentioned, as well as the problem that RFS has pointed out to you, just in case you have truly missed it, and aren't willfully ignoring it.

View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn
Last edited by RobArtLyn; 04-26-2007 at 03:20 PM..