Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Figured out what Maxim did to my photos
Old 04-12-2007, 06:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
Comments: 0
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.128.94

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I spent a little time trying to figure out exactly what happened to my photos of Jennifer for the Maxim contest before they were added to their site. One they left alone. Another one got some small tweaking. Then there is this one. If you start with the image on the left, resize it to fit their page (as expected), set the contrast slider in PS to +35 (!!!) and run it through the standard Sharpen filter (???), you will get an almost exact replica of the image on the right, where Jennifer is posing as a victim of severe sun poisoning. The alleged benefit of this change escapes me. Can anyone with more experience with these things cast any light on what they were thinking?

Click for larger version
Click for larger version
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Re: Figured out what Maxim did to my photos
Old 04-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38897
Comments: 1

tomrock is offline IP: 24.166.22.19

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I can't cast any light on why they'd do this but I see it all the time.

I shot a band and one of the band members "tweaked" every one of the pictures to give them an "edgy" look. I asked them not to associate my name with those pictures.

You have the same situation here. I love the first image but the second looks overworked.

What can 'ya do?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40444
Send a message via AIM to inhifistereo6

inhifistereo6 is offline IP: 74.134.107.175

Could it be because printing for a magazine and print making for photography are two different animals? I understand what you're saying here but what you see on a computer screen won't always translate well to the printed page. I would blame the printer before I blame the art directors at Maxim.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to inhifistereo6 Find More Posts by inhifistereo6

Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37234
Comments: 4

icn2u is offline IP: 68.119.123.229

I had a model last year accepted in the "Hometown Hotties" compitition and had a similar change. The photos were given an almost yellow cast. Frustrating, to be sure, but at least the models were accepted. hopefully this link will take you there!

http://www.maximonline.com/hotties/p...&girl_id=13635

Barry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to icn2u Find More Posts by icn2u

Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.45.126

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhifistereo6 View Post
I understand what you're saying here but what you see on a computer screen won't always translate well to the printed page. I would blame the printer before I blame the art directors at Maxim.
The contestant supplied photos are only for the web, not the magazine. The 10 finalists get a shoot done by a Maxim photographer for the print issue.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 04-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40444
Send a message via AIM to inhifistereo6

inhifistereo6 is offline IP: 138.87.215.198

Well then, either the art director/assistant likes really orange women OR they prepped it for print, which would cause it to look weird on a computer monitor. Either way, I am in total agreement with your assesment.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to inhifistereo6 Find More Posts by inhifistereo6

Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57026

viziondesigns is offline IP: 74.37.137.106

I'm less worried about the oompa loompa coloring and more about the entirely blown-out and unattractive highlights that you obviously spent a lot of time and effort getting correct on the original!

I guess that's "the look"... I was starting to be OK with the overly-plastic look, but this is getting silly.

A question though... if you're a photographer that wants to get into Maxim, do you start to shoot that way or deliver it "correct" and let them "fix" it?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to viziondesigns Find More Posts by viziondesigns

Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.45.126

Quote:
Originally Posted by viziondesigns View Post
if you're a photographer that wants to get into Maxim
Here's a dirty little secret: I am not a photographer who wants to be in Maxim. Or any other particular magazine. I am not against the idea, but it is not a specific goal. If I was approached, and I thought I had the skills to do the job, I would consider it, but that hasn't happened yet. I don't consider myself to be a photographer who has been in Maxim. I am just a friend of a girl who made it into this year's contest using my pictures.

I have had some problems from time to photographing women who get totally hung up on little issues before and during shoots. Things like "Don't shoot my left profile" (looks as good as her right) or "I don't look good in that color" (matches her eyes perfectly). When Jennifer asked me to do this for her, I set simple ground rules. I had final say over wardrobe, posing, etc. and she had to go into it with an open mind. Afterwards, she could pick whatever shots she liked, since the contest is about hometown hotties, not hometown photographers. She liked this shot, because of the "bottom" of the picture, and I kept my word and did what I could with the rest.

To answer your original question, you shoot it "right" or as right as you can and then turn it over knowing that you have lost control at that point. JimmyD wrote about it last month on his Pretty Girl Shooter blog here:

http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.co...1_archive.html

Scroll down to March 16th.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
jestersncourt

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.183.138.100

The answer is pretty simple. You are a good photographer. They don't want any of the girls to have photographs that might make theirs look... lacking!

Work for you??

Jeff

Old 04-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

It looks to me like someone made a poor attempt at making it look like Michael Vincent shot it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott