Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
You didn't like my last post, what about this one?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Re: You didn't like my last post, what about this one?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 74.92.121.113

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

do you like it and think this is the best you can do with the subject and location and model and equipment?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

"do you [...] think this is the best you can do with the subject and location and model and equipment?"

This is probably the best, most succinct directive on how to improve I've seen in a great while.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

I suspect that you were attracted to this subject because of the sultry, suggestive mystery of the woman's long, lean legs and the glimpse of thigh - but, also like me, you were so focused on what you saw that you failed to provide the viewer with the same image, you didn't frame, crop, light, and focus to provide the impact you wanted.

I really like Glenn's comment - I think it's what each of us needs to do. I'll simply say that to me your image has too many distractions from what I think is your central subject. Keep trying.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for the nice comment. I think most photographers could probably become better if they were better editors of their own material.

His pic doesn't suck, but it doesn't hit the mark either.

I learned the following steps to MAKING a pic, rather than taking a pic:

Intent
Composition
Lighting
Execution

Do a shoot in those stages

Taking time at each step to determine what it is your are trying to accomplish, and the work is instantly better.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

I'll add one more element to Glenn's formula:

INSPIRE
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.160.168

one think i would have done is crop in tight on just the legs.. do it at night...using say just the light coming from the car dash light...and aim for a warmer feel...

View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonFromMaine View Post
one think i would have done is crop in tight on just the legs.. do it at night...using say just the light coming from the car dash light...and aim for a warmer feel...
Thanks!! Not only a suggestion, but one that makes sense..

I'm sorry guys, but Glen's comment was helpful in NO way. Read from my point of view it is an insult.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57421
Comments: 2

Erbin is offline IP: 68.10.188.172

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
Bob,

I believe there is a captivating image within the whole of this image, but the whole image contains too many distractions.

If Glen's constructive criticism seemed offensive to me...I'd just post and ask for no comments.

Erbin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Erbin Find More Posts by Erbin

Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I'm truly sorry if you are insulted. You clearly asked for comments and all that I did was ask you a simple question..."what do you like about the image and is this the best you think you can do?"

perhaps it is. don't be afraid to state that. If you like it, just say it.

I wrote that I didn't think it sucked, but it was not stellar.

I wanted your input. I know how I would have shot it. But you shot it, not me.

I told you my process for my shoots, intent (what is it being used for) composition (how is the image looking in my viewfinder), lighting (what type and style of lighting will I use) and execution (getting the shot).

You didn't state any of these things. What was the shot for? model port, your port, an ad, a car company, a website.....all of these things are critical.

Believe me, I get enough unsolicited emails and messages each day asking me to look at folks work. If I didn't want to help you, I wouldn't have written a thing.

I personally welcome comments, makes me learn a lot. I'm always going to classes and learning stuff, and the day I stop learning is the last day I do this.