Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Camera Problems (please help)
Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48532
Comments: 0

vrider58 is offline IP: 207.65.41.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been a photographer for the last 25 years, but just recently made the switch to digital. I own a Canon 10D, and have been very disappointed with the quality of my photos. They appear to lack the vivid colors I was used to with film, and are generally either too dark, or not enough contrast.

I have been told that the 10D is outdated, and that I would get much better results if I made and upgrade to the 20D, 30D, or XTI. Other have told me to switch to Nikon, which I shot exclusively in film, but got a good price on this 10D.

I've even thought about switching back to Nikon, but can't afford the upper level cameras, and have Canon lenses and flashes

I also have a Fujifilm S9100 that does not have this problem, and the colors seems to leap out at you, generally requiring little or no adjustments. The only problem being a lack of TTL external flash.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vrider58 Find More Posts by vrider58

Re: Camera Problems (please help)
Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 67.126.131.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yep, as soon as the new model comes out, the old model stops taking good pics. I'm making a living at this w/a pair of D60's. Sometimes I rent a newer model, but mostly just stick with mine. What I do have though, is excellent glass, that's where your quality lies.

OK, onto your problem. Not enough information is provided. RAW or JPG? What kind of PP. What program for PP. What are you shooting? How are you shooting? Point us to, or post a few samples, and we'll be able to help you out.

E
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.214.23

For what it's worth, I've been using a 10D for two to three years after making the switch to digital following about 50 years in both amateur and pro photography. There is no inherent problem with the 10D. I've sold prints up to 30x40 to clients ranging from a record label for use on a CD cover and to a hotel in Germany to hang on the walls of a new spa, to individual collectors. I'm pretty confident the problem is not with the camera.

There is a learning curve for us old time film shooters when we make the switch to digital. In my experience, regardless of the camera model, the images do not pop out ontoo a copmp[uter monitor ready to do. Just as film requires darkroom processing, digital images do also.They need some sort of 'tweaking' in Photoshop or whatever software you have. They generally need a bit of lowered or added contrast, tweaking lightness and/or darkness and a bit of saturation adjustment.

I've had guy's shoot at my place with a variety of other cameras, so I've seenmany on my monitor. It's rare for an image to be good to go right from the camera.

This one was shot with my 10D and needed only a bit of added contrast and saturation adjustment.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

I have a set of golf clubs, and the few times I go out there, I shoot over 100.

A friend of mine borrowed them one afternoon and shot an 88.

It's not the clubs...it's the golfer.

Learn how to calibrate your equipment for every situation and you will maximize your performance.

david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.87.212.63

I've been using the 10D for several years now with excellent results. When I switched from film to digital I found out real quick just how often the lab and the latitude of color film had saved my bacon. Exposure and color balance is very critical with digital. To figure out where your going wrong we really need more information. Can you supply a break down of your work flow?
Click for larger version

Shot with the 10D

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

It's NOT your camera
Old 04-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

I am also a Canon 10D shooter, trust me, it's not your camera. Listen to what previous posters are saying, you need to learn how to play this new instrument properly. Dave Blecman put it like it is, need to calibrate your instrument. Good luck.
Meka, Chicago model shot in Arizona a week ago.

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 04-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

I used the 10D for several years. It produces fantastic photos. But one of the first things you need to do is make a decision on whether to shoot RAW or JPG. If you shoot RAW, then to get great shots right out of the camera you must properly calibrate the system and carefully choose the parameters such as contrast, sharpness, etc as well as White Balance. If you make the proper choices, then you can get those great photos right out of the camera.

One thing that will often help is to dial down the LCD brightness. In other words, go into the Menu and adjust the brightness down one or two levels. This will give you a better preview. Then learn how to use the histogram to zero in your exposures. Also remember that a digital SLR is much like using slide film in the film days. You have a very narrow exposure range. You need to be really close to the proper exposure. Also keep in mind that since digital is a linear process rather than analog, that you can easily lose shadow detail and often contrast if you underexpose.

Here is one of my 10D shots"

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith