Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Some recent headshot work
Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.123.161.252

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I thought perhaps I might post some of my recent work with models/actors from the DFW area for your opinions.

Tim Musomba (model/actor) - Soon to be with
Page Parks Management

Gabriela Yvonne (fashion model) - Signed with the Campbell Agency

Kevin Milligan (actor) - signed with Linda McAllister Talent

Morgane Wood (actor) - signed with Linda McAllister Talent

The last two shots show my newfound appreciation for (gasp) film. Scanned at 4000dpi with my new toy, a Nikon Coolscan 5000.

All comments appreciated as always.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Re: Some recent headshot work
Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 68.125.148.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Nice images. I really like the digital more than the film. How weird is that? the first one is really top rate.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.125.77

Wow!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

I like #1 and #3 best. #1 has a nice dramatic feel to it. I like the use of negative space in #3 and #4, but I wonder what your thoughts are about having the subject looking away or faced away from the negative space rather than looking or faced toward it? All of the shots seem to fall close to the rule of thirds except #4 which is a little off. How would it look with a bit of the negative space removed from the right? Does #4 seem a bit "cooler" than the other 2 color shots? That's often a monitor issue, so I can't say for sure on it.

Click for larger version

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 04-05-2007 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 72.178.235.217

Scott...nicely done! #'s 1 and 3 are just great. I like #4 but it does appear to be a bit on the cool side...or a least cooler than the others. #1 packs a powerful punch...really strong image...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

srwatters is offline IP: 65.197.247.151

Thanks for the comments.

Tim has a bright future IMHO.

I'm just learning how to shoot film since I started straight to digital. The scanning process is a big mystery at the moment too, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it. What I like about the film shots is the 'live' feeling I get when comparing them to the D200 digital images. It very well could be I'm not the worlds best Photoshop user (duh), but I shot the same lighting set with both mediums and I prefer the film... I just might be a 'retro-man'
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 04-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Tim has a bright future IMHO.

I'm just learning how to shoot film since I started straight to digital. The scanning process is a big mystery at the moment too, but hopefully I'll get the hang of it. What I like about the film shots is the 'live' feeling I get when comparing them to the D200 digital images. It very well could be I'm not the worlds best Photoshop user (duh), but I shot the same lighting set with both mediums and I prefer the film... I just might be a 'retro-man'
Usually you can get identical results from both film and digital but each requires its own workflow in Photoshop. You can also get the digital shot to look very much like the film shot right out of the camera by playing with the parameters of the Camera. Or if you shoot RAW, you naturally do it in post.

One tool that I've found very helpful, is the Miranda Velvia Vision:

http://rfredricksmith.com/link/?a=FredMiranda

It allows you to choose parameters in Photoshop using this Automation tool that can simulate many of the classic films. Since you can save your settings, once you find some settings that give you the look you want, you can give it a custom name and then save it for future use. It would be ideal for a photo like #4. And its fairly inexpensive as plugins go. The other plugin that I use all the time for web work is the WP Pro (Web Presenter) also at the same link above. It lets you resize your work for the web, but does it using a unique technique of stair step reduction which seems to me to give a better reduced size image than Save for Web or Using the Image size option. It also can allow an integrated sharpening during the stair stepping.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I like #1 and #3 best. #1 has a nice dramatic feel to it. I like the use of negative space in #3 and #4, but I wonder what your thoughts are about having the subject looking away or faced away from the negative space rather than looking or faced toward it? All of the shots seem to fall close to the rule of thirds except #4 which is a little off. How would it look with a bit of the negative space removed from the right? Does #4 seem a bit "cooler" than the other 2 color shots? That's often a monitor issue, so I can't say for sure on it.
I've shot the landscape headshots both ways and honestly neither strike me as 'better'. I try to get their eyes square to the camera or cheat to the oblique pose, but at f/4 I don't have much DOF. Using 135-200mm focal length on the crop body helps with that, but to be honest I like the control I have using the larger 35mm medium. I guess it couldn't hurt that the scanner produces 22+ MP files at 16 bit. They are monsters to deal with in PS, but I think they look great.

#4 is a little cold, but for her skin tone and complexion, I felt it was the better way to render her. Here's a more 'true to life' image done with the D200:

Thanks again for your comments.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Good stuff, Scott.
I confess that I have mixed feelings about the purity of the white in his eyes on the first shot - adds greatly to the intensity, but gives the image almost a surreal quality. Awesome image, though. (You might consider touching out the right shoulder, behind his hand, to enhance the symmetry.)
Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G View Post
#1 packs a powerful punch...really strong image...
Thanks Bobby. One of my better efforts of late, maybe all time.