Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lacy
Old 03-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 52513
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to TJPhotoGuy

TJPhotoGuy is offline IP: 71.96.238.239

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yet another agency shot... this is Lacey, one of the prettiest young ladies I've seen in quite some time. She was also very sweet. She was pretty green and new to posing and such, but loosened up and caught on very quickly; I think she's going to do well.

This was a basic fashion lighting setup yielding very subtle Rhembrandt...

As usual, polite CC&C welcome:

View Public Profile Visit TJPhotoGuy's homepage! Find More Posts by TJPhotoGuy
Last edited by TJPhotoGuy; 03-30-2007 at 07:40 PM..

Re: Lacy
Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41572

DBA1 is offline IP: 75.83.59.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ya know what I like about this image? The way you tie the eye color, back drop and wardrobe together and the separation of the like colors. I think these are important elements in a fashion image. Maybe a tad overstated here but none the less important.

What I don't like, it seems kinda flat and front on. The bra showing, IMO, her top should be level with the top of the jeans. Again, IMO, a "Rembrandt" represents a triangular patch of light captured by closed shadow. I don't see that here.

Beautiful model!

Rick.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

I think I can agree that its a subtle "Rembrandt" lighting, but its a close thing. I like the subtle greens and play between the blouse and background and even your calling the model "green"

I don't care for the elbows part of the shot. I'm not a fan of this pose because it puts to much emphasis on the elbows which are rarely very glamorous. I also don't care for chopping off the top of the head. One of the things that often jumps out on certain photos is whether it generally follows the rule of thirds (or tic tac toe system as I call it). This one doesn't.

I don't have a problem with the bottom of the green blouse being uneven, because I think that makes the shot look more casual. But, I do agree with the other post about the white bra showing (my attached photo illustrates the bra problem also). Was that on purpose for some reason, or just an oversight?

The last small detail is what I consider an "area of confusion" detail. That is the black band around the arm on the left. Is it a band of some sort, or is it some hair that has become wrapped around the arm? In either case, it seems a distraction.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Thank for the comments guys!

RFS -

First thanks for the comments... we can disagree again on cropping, I think the crop here is perfect. I do agree with you about the bra... that wasn't intentional, didn't seem to stand out to me, I guess some would considering it a "flaw". I don't agree about the elbows, at least not 100%, probably more like 90%, but I do love this pose it's very feminine and casual - I know elbows sticking out are bad and, indeed, the first time I asked her to do this pose her elbows were "straight out toward the camera" so I asked her to lower them and flatten them out to make them much less obtrusive. I love this pose, it seems very feminine and really makes her face stick out (by far her best asset imho; I wanted her face and eyes to really pop). Oh and I noticed you caught the pun about the model being "green" heehee!

RFS is correct it definitely is Rembrandt lighting, very subtle. I don't think a dark, brooding Rembrandt lighting is suited for women, imvho butterfly lighting is typically much more attractive for females and I'll leave the dark, mooding Rembrandt for the guys

RFS, as for that band, that was just something she wore. Not sure why it's distracting to ya... I guess some might think it is and some might not, just seemed to go well with the casual attire otherwise I'd have asked her to remove it (for example if this had been a formal dress).

DBA1 - thanks so much for the kind words! The coloring here is kinda kewl I agree, it was all coordinated by me, the girl and the MUA. I don't think this pose is too square for a girl this thin. ANd it's almost never a good idea to keep shoulders in line with the waist; they should almost always be in different directions when posing.

I agree with rfs that the bottm of the blouse being uneven makes it more casual; that was definitely intended. Obviously this is a casual outfit. I wouldn't confuse "fashion lighting" with fashiony wardrobe...

Thanks again guys...
Last edited by TJPhotoGuy; 03-31-2007 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 72.178.235.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPhotoGuy View Post
Yet another agency shot...
As usual, polite CC&C welcome:
Well I'm gonna have to beat this one up. "Yet another agency shot?..." Do you have something against non wrinkled blouses? You had the same issue...and yes I said issue...in a previous post with the African American young lady. If these are indeed for an agency, wouldn't you want to show the agency you have the ability to pay attention to details. A wrinkle here and there is a product of clothing and certain poses, but it seems with your posts that its just something you're willing to overlook and I personally feel that is not fair to the model. This image has numerous problems and to be submitting this to an agency is not smart in my opinion. The cropping IS a problem...the head is cut off for no apparant reason ( my guess is it was shot that way and there was no other choice)...there is NO hint of the rule of thirds as RFS stated. The pose brings the elbows to the forefront not to mention the right arm looks twice the size it should be. The bra is noticeable and takes attention away from the model. The wristband should be removed prior to the shoot...if she wears it to the shoot, tell her to take it off...pretty simple fix. The hands look funny...like she has one giant finger on both hands. You can see half of a ring on her right hand. She has considerable hair fly aways...not real noticeable on the web, but you did say this was "yet another agency shoot"...I 'll bet its noticeable in print. The right side of the face is overexposed a tad and she has a makeup line under her left eye...She has a thin cotton fabric shirt over rough denim...you can see the coarseness of the denim near her beltline...easily fixed in post. And finally..."subtle Rembrandt"??...ok...if thats what that lighter patch under the right eye represents...we'll call it subtle Rembrandt...and finally part 2...her right eye is blue and her left eye is green?? were you tweeking the color in post or are her eyes two different colors?? (its probly just the left eye is overexposed and washed out and the right is a truer indication of the real color)

My personal opinion is this image is no where near suitable for any agency and certainly the model deserves a better submission...

She is definitely gorgeous...hopefully you have some better quality images of her...if not...do I hear RE-shoot...??

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Lacy
Old 03-31-2007, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.253.211

Let's be honest about that "wristband." More than likely, it's a Scungi hair band, and you just plain missed it!

How do I know? I can show you lots of images I've done with girls wearing them. It's not so bad when there's only one and it's black. But I got pictures where the girl is wearing several, and one is bright yellow. PhotoShop to change the color or remove them is about the only recourse.

So now, I have a rule.

No Scungi's on wrists... ever!

It's the first thing I check before shooting. And then everytime an outfit is changed.

And no elbows pointed at the camera... they just aren't pretty.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.83.133

So I guess what I am hearing is, pay attention to details and do your best work always. Don't settle.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 03-31-2007, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35352
My Mood:

johnw is offline IP: 65.13.24.8

The devil is in the details
  View Public Profile Send a private message to johnw Find More Posts by johnw

Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
THanks for the comments... the elbows are not pointing to the camera to the extent that it ruins the photo at all, they are pretty subtle. As I said before, they were at first, and I had her lower them.

Cropping is highly subective; it works very well here, you can open any book or magazine and see tons of photos where the head is cropped the same way.

I'll take the hit on the wrinkled shirt, but I'm not sure why it's such a huge deal, this shirt is the kind that would wrinkle always and would look fake if it wasn't. This was intented as a casual shot...

I'll also remember the wristband thing, thanks for that

Thanks again guys
Last edited by TJPhotoGuy; 04-01-2007 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.123.161.169

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
And TJ is perfect.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters