Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Know What I Hate?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651
Comments: 0

rdavis is offline IP: 69.15.164.92

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When you have a great, knock-down beautiful playboy model to shoot and you don't produce your best work.

I shot with Terrie a couple of weeks ago. The week before she'd shot for Playboy SE. I wanted to shoot some fitness stuff and she was up for it and we shot some low key stuff. She has a beautiful - well everything - but I was specifically interested in her mid-drift.

So we shot all of that and I'm feel the work isn't that good. But I can't put my finger on why I don't like them. So give me your opinion.

Practical Pinup Online Workshop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Re: Know What I Hate?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well it always hard to point out the more subtle problems with photos that just don't quite make it or thrill us. #1 seems to little too dense. #2 has some cropping issues (cropping of fingers) and the rear hand is just sort of there, but not really adding to the pose. Also minimal catch-lights. #3 has good potential but it looks like some how you got a halo effect especially on the out stretched leg in contrast to the floor, but also around the arm on the left. Is this bounce back from a light on the background? #4 suffers from distortion and the pose makes the model look very heavy. #5 might work as a figure study, but with the bikini, it just looks out of place.

So, in a nutshell, the photos all seem to just miss where you probably wanted to go with each of them.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55407
Send a message via MSN to natalia.Taffarel Send a message via Skype™ to natalia.Taffarel

natalia.Taffarel is offline IP: 201.212.203.39

I think the problem is the post, you made her face look like plastic (blotchy plastic) you need another skin treatment.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to natalia.Taffarel Visit natalia.Taffarel's homepage! Find More Posts by natalia.Taffarel

Old 03-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for the feedback rfs. I missed the fingers and the distortion.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Old 03-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

natalia You are right about the skin. I struggled with it because my lighting was too harsh and there was a lot of visible pores.

I'd be interested in hearing how you would have done it.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post
... She has a beautiful - well everything - but I was specifically interested in her mid-drift.(sic) So we shot all of that and I'm feel the work isn't that good. But I can't put my finger on why I don't like them. So give me your opinion.
Ummm... I'm wondering why you shot her with such high contrast in the first four. I can see it in the last image.. that comes across quite well, but in the first ones her eyes are in shadow, and the contrasy lighting doesn't suit her well, I think.

Tell ya what, next time you schedule a shoot with her, let me know.. I can hop on IH45 and be down there in a few hours and can lend a personal perspective!

Old 03-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Capri Photography

Member GG#: 45764
My Mood:

Jetboy is offline IP: 69.153.17.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis View Post
natalia You are right about the skin. I struggled with it because my lighting was too harsh and there was a lot of visible pores.

I'd be interested in hearing how you would have done it.
I know you're not replying to me, but here are some thoughts (mho, by the way)...

It's an awesome shot (Pic #1) of a beautiful model, though at first glance it needs some 'pop' - try brightening the midtones perhaps. The lighter areas need to be, well, a little lighter.

As for the skin, here's one method I use occasionally to deal with pores and such: Note - do this on a duplicate layer just to be safe. Outline the areas of the model's skin (with the select tool) you wish to soften and feather it (say, 6 or 8 pixels). Next switch to your color channels, and go to the BLUE channel. Now, apply your favorite softening (don't overdo it, as we're not done yet). Next, switch to the GREEN channel and soften again, but at no more than half the strength you applied to the BLUE channel. Now your finished. Deselect and reactivate all the color channels of your duplicate layer. Notice how the BLUE channel had the most 'skin noise,' followed by the GREEN channel. The RED channel, we left alone.

So, there you go. One more technique for skin softening. If done just right (ie. the proper amount), it can be hard to tell it was touched up. I have this series of steps set up as an action, so it's click and 'bam' ... done. =)

Alan B.
Capri Photography

“Even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” -Thomas Jefferson
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jetboy Visit Jetboy's homepage! Find More Posts by Jetboy