Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Karrina's Images - C & C
Old 03-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52222
Comments: 0

heavenly_light is offline IP: 74.129.7.56

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Everyone,

I am posting this while pondering my future direction and to receive some advice / help. I have been gaining tips and education from this site for some time now. I have posted here but, mainly I am a passively eager learner by reading and viewing some great work here. I am a college graduate now from NKU and have only two choices.

1. Make my photography business, Heavenly Light Productions, LLC profitable
2. Find employment to pay the bills and school loans while photography moves to hobby.

I have been viewing the Nudes, Tips, TubeIt, and Main Community in order to learn how to use light for dramatic effect, poses, inspiration, and color corrections. I am a Christian and do not photograph nudes myself but, I can not find information on light vs. skin any were else. The dilemma has pressed be to create a web Blog for Christians located at:

http://heavenlylightproductions.wordpress.com

This site is where I post and credit free information found or provided from contributors and I in hopes to help others like myself.

My biggest problems

1. I also can not find a Mentor local. Would anyone be willing too Mentor me online?

2. I can not obtain the color(s), tone(s), and saturation I desire. Everyone writes stating they can achieve these during their capture phase with little or no post-processing. I find I can not; I could not have an image without post-processing. I currently use a D-100 or Kodak 14/n pro and SB-800 or SB-80 in the field and Photogenic light kit or Constant light(s) in studio.

Yesterday I photographed my step-daughter for her 2007 senior images. I am posting them on one page for visual comparison. I have the Original (RAW) “no post processing”, my post processed, and my final product I did for her. I have the mental “EYE” of what I was going for but, am unable to create it.

Lastly,
I have seen the color tablets and many professionals tell me it works great but, I can not not figure out how to do it. I also can find anyone to show me step by step in a workflow context explain how to use it.

Any advice / help or tips or an online Mentor would be outstanding.

Take care and be safe.
God be with you,
Tony

View Public Profile Send a private message to heavenly_light Visit heavenly_light's homepage! Find More Posts by heavenly_light

Re: Karrina's Images - C & C
Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.54.136

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I would say find a day job and work at night and on weekends, until you feel you can carry on by yourself. Buy some more equipment, gain more skill, make a little money along the way. There is a lot of information here and other places. Many people don't read the articles or read other things on the web. And there many who will offer their opinions. many you can get a job in a related business and mix the two.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 03-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54742

Zipper7 is offline IP: 67.166.252.30

I love your images and your shots you took. Looks like really good work to me!

I too fight with color and have bought a couple of books, attended a PhotoShop seminar, and read numerous web pages on the subject. I have also bought a Colorvision Spyder2 Pro calibrator for my monitor and PrintFix Pro for my printer. Alas, I'm still not there. And because I don't have a professional studio (yes, I actually do shoot in my garage) I have issues with the color not being consistent across a group of people. I have resorted to using the lasso tool and then trying to color balance (with soft feathering) on an as-needed basis (which the professional books all say is the goofy way to do it)

Having a color balanced monitor is the single best thing that I've done. It at least lets me know what the print is going to be close to. But even then, if I get a fantastic image on my screen, I am often disappointed with a slight color shift in the hardcopy version.

Hang in there, it'll only get better, I'm sure of it! And just so you know, I too am a Christian that does not take nudes. I don't take nudes, not to be a prude, but because I already have enough issues to deal with with myself without adding to the temptations.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zipper7 Find More Posts by Zipper7

Old 03-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.28

I don't see anything wrong with your original capture. There are many people who do an excellent job of getting color and exposure dead on in the camera and are satisfied to leave well enough alone. That does not mean the image could not be improved with a little post processing. Any raw image out of a camera needs a little sharpening due to the way the sensors are designed (some technical reason concerning a low pass filter or something?) Most images can use a little saturation boost also. Your doing great, I particularly like the second and third images. Just keep practicing, the goal is to keep post processing to a minimum so you have more time to shoot!
Mark

Click for larger version

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 03-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 75.120.155.78

I started taking pictures with the intent of becoming a pro in 1981. I read everything I could get my hands on, subscribed to up to seven different magazines, had library cards at two different libraries, and bought books and attended seminars in three states. Plus...practice, practice, practice. I was self employed, so I built both my photography business and my other business up together. I operated my other business during the day, 8 to 4:30 and did photography from 6:00 on and on weekends. I sold my other business nine years ago and have struggled to be a pro photographer ever since. There are so many semi-pros out there and what I call "digital moms" that it is really hard to make a living. Guys in big cities can do well with "high-end" stuff, but in a smaller town, you have to shoot whatever you can get to pay the bills. I think that the full-time pro as we saw in the eighties and nineties will go by the wayside as technology and computers get better at making good pictures out of so-so pictures. People I have taken family pictures for in years past are now doing it themselves. And baseball leagues I have shot for years are having one of the coaches do it.
I have become adept at Photoshop in an effort to hang on for a few more years to try to make it to retirement. The digital moms have taken a big chunk out of my senior market, so I try to offer new and different things to keep them coming to me. My advice is to not give up your day job until the income from photography is consistent and reliable. And remember, not everyone will take off work or check out of school to come get their picture made. You have to work when other people are playing. "Arkie"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 03-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46562

SWING_THE_PHOTOG is offline IP: 209.190.158.2

I say keep your day job, free lance is such a dicy game. but also make time for your passion. this photography game is so fickle but it is fun. as for color in your pix, i have a nikon d70s is and there is a mode to saturate the images, i think its called vivid. you can try that if you want to add more color. take some time and do some experementing with all the settings on your camera. you'd be amazed at all the little effects these D Slr's can do.

stick with it. and make sure to have fun.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52222

heavenly_light is offline IP: 74.129.7.56

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the comments and advice. I am going to put your advice into action.

But, is there anyone who would be willing to mentor online by giving assignments for education or rip apart my images to the "T", ETC....???

Take care and be safe.
God be with you,
Tony

View Public Profile Send a private message to heavenly_light Visit heavenly_light's homepage! Find More Posts by heavenly_light

Old 03-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38842

mwayne is offline IP: 70.17.176.222

Tony,
You said you were shooting in RAW, that is good.
The first image your take on a location use the color correction card and have the subject hold the card by there face and take one picture. This will be your click balance color image for all the images you shoot in that light location.

Take the pictures you want.

Use the RAW converter program and select the images you want to convert for that one location and lighting situation, choose the one with the color chart in it and use the eye droper to select one of the gray squars as your reference gray and process the images. They should be very clost to correct color.
Michael
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mwayne Visit mwayne's homepage! Find More Posts by mwayne