Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A little C&C, please
Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
Comments: 0
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.34.50

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I had the opportunity to do a little unexpected available light work last week, after hauling all of my lighting gear to the location. The model is someone that I have known a few years but only got to work with once before.

Click for larger version
A little C&C, please 
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Re: A little C&C, please
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 66.191.125.38

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Very nice. I would have maybe turned her face into the light a little bit more, and try not to cut off her toes.

MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

Hi,

Let me offer some pointers that may be helpful for you:

1. Don't crop off at the feet, ankle, knee, elbow, or any other joint. Cropping off 1/2 of her foot is a no-no.
2. The pose is very unnatural and she looks twisted. The angle and focal lenght you used makes her look squatty and a bit heavier, and the pose makes he look heavy in the thighs.
3. have ytour models wear clear or french tips on the nails. Nail color is distracting unless it's part of the styling of the shot and wardrobe.
4. There are no catchlights in the eyes and no detail in the hair, which makes for a "colder" image and less "pop."

Hope these tips help. They are not meant to cut you to shreads.

david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
3. have ytour models wear clear or french tips on the nails. Nail color is distracting unless it's part of the styling of the shot and wardrobe.
We had specifically discussed this before the shoot and she had said that she would be wearing French tips. Of course, as the saying goes, no plan of battle survives first contact with the enemy.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 03-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52576
My Mood:

TheGoldy is offline IP: 198.188.145.106

"4. There are no catchlights in the eyes and no detail in the hair, which makes for a "colder" image and less "pop.""

Dave, is there a way to get catchlights when you're using only available lighting as he said he was?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TheGoldy Find More Posts by TheGoldy

Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldy View Post
"4. There are no catchlights in the eyes and no detail in the hair, which makes for a "colder" image and less "pop.""

Dave, is there a way to get catchlights when you're using only available lighting as he said he was?

Good question. If you have ever been to my web site and have seen any of my available or outdoor work, I never ever use a reflector or fill flash. What I do instead is utilize walls, buildings, or anything reflective in the model's eyes as the catchlights.

In the below image, the sun beating off of a black tar street served as the catchlights, that's why they are long and narrow across the bottom of the eye, with a small pin catchlight from the sun reflecting off of a windsheild:

In the below image the model was in a staircase, and the catchlights were provided by the bright sky she faced in the distance

In the below image, taken indoors totally by natural light, the catchlights came from the window she was facing.

Once again, the image below was taken indoors on a living room sofa, simply facing a bay window. Just find the good light and meter properly

You really need to pay attention to what is behind your model, and what is in front of your model, because what is in front will ultimately either lighten her up (and her eyes) or not.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 03-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

One other quick note to add to what others have said - what about the White balance. On my screen the walls have a slight color cast. My bet is that the walls were white.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
My bet is that the walls were white.
They weren't quite white, but theses colors aren't right either. This shot is from a sequence in the middle of the shoot where the colors don't match the rest. I did a custom WB against a grey card. Shots from that point look fine, then change for a few shots, then look fine again. My attempts to correct it manually have obviously failed.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobArtLyn View Post
They weren't quite white, but theses colors aren't right either. This shot is from a sequence in the middle of the shoot where the colors don't match the rest. I did a custom WB against a grey card. Shots from that point look fine, then change for a few shots, then look fine again. My attempts to correct it manually have obviously failed.
What you describe often happens when shooting available light. It is amazing how much the color of sunlight can change from second to second. Nothing more than a cloud or two drifting in front of the sun can suddenly change the color temperature by 500 to 1000K. Was sunlight providing part of the lighting for your shots? The other type of available light I've worked with that can vary quite a bit is normal household fluorescent lighting.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Was sunlight providing part of the lighting for your shots?
At this point, the only source of light was a slightly frosted skylight about 15 feet above her. Shooting with the available light was not part of my original plan, but I decided to spend a little time experimenting with it before I switched on the strobes that I had brought, as in these shots:

Click for larger version

Click for larger version