Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Why is it so hard for me to find!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56452
Comments: 0

morrisphotodotnet is offline IP: 141.151.114.225

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Im having trouble finding models or just people to photograph. I have been doing photography for 15years now and have just (about a year) gotten into modeling photography. I have been using myspace and craigslist to try to find women looking to model for me. Any ideas or help as what to put in my emails. Im looking to do headshots, clothing and lingerie.

lar
  View Public Profile Send a private message to morrisphotodotnet Find More Posts by morrisphotodotnet

Re: Why is it so hard for me to find!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

One thing that is essential in this Internet age is that you have an impressive online portfolio somewhere. If you are going to make contact with attractive models, the first thing they'll want to see is the type of work you do. If you have no photos to show, then it will be difficult to get a model to work for you. Do you have any photos you can show? If so, post one here, so we can get an idea of your skill level and what you are trying to accomplish. There are many approaches to finding models. But it is difficult to give advice with little or no information to go on.
If you have no model photos, then I suggest attending a workshop. Rolando Gomez (who runs this site) offers workshops all over the country and they are very reasonably priced. For about $500 you get 2 days of shooting with 3 to 5 professional models, a pro MUA, and you learn new lighting setups and so forth. You also get a release from the models. With just a little application at one of these workshops you can walk away with at least a dozen great shots for showing models what you can do.
Here are example shots from an RG workshop.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 12.215.44.64

Agreed with the above statement about showing your work. This day and age of internet marketing has changed things for many of us. Some of the older brick and mortar boys have had to adapt to the harsh realities of how to market successfully online.

I am known around Des Moines and the surrounding area for concert photography and haunted house, theatrical photography. Because I still have an interest in model photography, I have a section that has a few girls on that part of my website. I did a search for morrisphoto.net and there is no website.

www.sheldonphotography.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Myspace
Old 03-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41629
Send a message via AIM to wsheldon50131 Send a message via Yahoo to wsheldon50131

wsheldon50131 is offline IP: 12.215.44.64

Remember your success on Myspace, Craigslist, ***, MM and all of the other places to market yourself. You will also still run into the no shows and other shady crap ladies. There are a few bad apples to ruin the bunch for the rest of us good photographers. What you do to differentiate yourself from every other crack with a camera, is what you have to do as far as your marketing and business plan.

Get one of those scrolling photography slides that people can post on the bulletins in Myspace. A tease. Fact is people are freaking lazy. You almost have to spoon feed them. Locally a photographer/ agency (Not sure if he is legit) posted a Free photo shoots on his bulletin. I emailed him privately saying what the hell are you doing. You wanting photo shoots like Wal-Mart or are you wanting glamour and nudes. The general population dont know and wont take the time to ask. Nor do they know what is involved or if it is safe. He also has his friends list blocked so you cant ask that way for references.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wsheldon50131 Visit wsheldon50131's homepage! Find More Posts by wsheldon50131

Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56452

morrisphotodotnet is offline IP: 141.151.114.225

Hi guys,
Thanks for responding, I do have a webpage but it the guidlines it says not to post links to other websites, but leme give it a try. http://www.freewebs.com/morrisphotodotnet/
As for what I am looking for, more towards glamour and lingerie. The photos on the site are what I have so far and have not touched them up with photoshop. Honestly the women on there are not the most attractive and with just moving into a new house, I was having trouble finding the funds to pay some more of the attractive women to pose. Also these are two women i found on craig*&ist, so needless to say there werent going to be attractive.
I do understand that workshops and mentors will help, but right now with my situation I dont have the time to do that.

Thank you,

Lar
  View Public Profile Send a private message to morrisphotodotnet Find More Posts by morrisphotodotnet

Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

If I were you, I'd remove the images that have obscured faces. Seems to me that it sends the wrong message, even though those are some of your most recent and best-done stuff. (Personally, I'd also remove the animated cursor, but that's just me.)
Focus on making the best, most flattering glamour image of whomever you have modeling. Skip the exposed breasts, suggested nudity, etc., until you've increased your skills at exposure, lighting, color balance, composition, and interacting with the models. You'll be able to attract more beautiful models when you can offer them something - either pay or seriously strong images.
Good luck.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.68

Quote:
One thing that is essential in this Internet age is that you have an impressive online portfolio somewhere. If you are going to make contact with attractive models, the first thing they'll want to see is the type of work you do. If you have no photos to show, then it will be difficult to get a model to work for you.
I ABSOLUTELY agree that a strong online portfolio is essential to getting model to work with you. I've had great success with several of the online modeling websites, but MySpace has been the best website for generating business. The trick is to get into the right social circles (where models hang out) and let the models you shoot tell the other models.

Quote:
... I suggest attending a workshop ... For about $500 you get 2 days of shooting with 3 to 5 professional models, a pro MUA, and you learn new lighting setups and so forth. You also get a release from the models. With just a little application at one of these workshops you can walk away with at least a dozen great shots for showing models what you can do
Hello ... adding images from a highly controled workshop where you have a professional makeup stylist, professional lighting, a professional model who knows how to pose does NOT show models what you can do with your own equipment! As a professional photographer, I take issue with all the photographers out there who display beautiful "workshop" images as if they could take a similar photo of any model in their hometown.

Yes, attending photography workshops can be a great way to learn photography techniques ... AND, workshops can give your portfolio a jumpstart, but it's false and misleading to show your "workshop" images as a representation of your work. Ever shot in my portfolio or on my websites was taken with my equipment, in my home studio and I can reproduce the same look for any model who asks.

Sorry if I've stepped on any toes ... I'm NOT against workshops as a learning environment, just against photographers using the workshop images in their portfolios as a representation of their work.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.55.146

I gotta agree with John here -- not trying to bash you, but I think the images of the women with swirled faces could scare potential models away.

The first pro model I ever worked with, I paid her. That way there was no pressure about getting her great images. BUT, before you shell out the cash for that, I'd try out lighting on friends & family first. Most of the time the way I find models to work with now are either through ModelMayhem (modelmayhem.com) or through people who know people who know people.

Good luck with it,

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 03-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 68.120.228.88

I have the lowest form of membership over at 0MP, with only 4 images, plus the title image. I don't send e-mails to anyone asking to shoot them, I used to though, but rarely did I get a response. For the past three years though, models call me and I usually end up working with them. I ask them why they chose me, they all stated they liked my images, all 5 of them!

Basically what I'm saying is this, put up some good images of the type of shots you can do well, and perhaps the models will call you. Hard to get anyone to call you, unless you have images to show them.

YMMV.

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 03-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 68.120.228.88

Took a look at your site. FWIW:

1. Dump the photos w/out faces. They don't work.
2. Dump the cats.
3. Dump the Scenery.
4. Dump the Photoshop.

Here's why I suggested the above. If you're going to do model photography, set up a site just for models. If you want to retouch photos, set up a site for that. If you are a general shooter wanting to do commercial, portfolios, headshots, pets, stock, etc., then you need a much better site. Consider hiring a pro to design and set it up. Take a look at what others have done and go from there.

I will commend you though on not having an equipment section. I hate "pros", and I use the term loosely, that have an equipment section. You don't visit websites for doctors, dentists, landscapers, architects, brokers, etc. that list their equipment, why should photographers.

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD