Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Professional VS Amatuers....
Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.125.77

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

so Hensel and profoto are for professionals....if you use anything less than a Hasselblad, shooting digital does that make you an amatuer???
Just watched ANTM and noticed the "Pros" always use Hasselblad digital cameras.. so here's where it gets confusing, ..if you use AB lights and a Hasselblad are you half pro half amatuer? or if you use Hensel and Olympus are you a halfy????

mmmmm food for thought?

Don.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Re: Professional VS Amatuers....
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366

eoym is offline IP: 24.118.115.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yeah, I guess that would make one a "promatuer" or a "amapro".
:-)

either way, you're half nutz!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 74.36.20.217

I would be willing to bet that the photogs using Hasselblad on ANTM are being compensated in some way for the exposure. No proof, just a very educated guess.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55130
Comments: 1
My Mood:

J Diaz is offline IP: 68.198.36.165

Call me stupid or ignorant, Hasselblad, Canon, Nikon, etc etc for me it just a name but if you have ten thousand dollar or a little more you can buy Hasselblad. you are a professional photographer not the camera make you a professional photographer. it like me I a profesional truck driver truck not make me what a drive a 1982 mack and only I have 7 year expirience and I the youngest in the company and every body has peterbuilt and kenworth and I the best in the company you the truck not make a professional it just practice and learn more . same as a photography camera not make you a professional photographer it just practice and practice and learn from your mistake. the most expensive that I have in my posesion is a Nikon D50 and I still learning more trick I no ask for for perfecsion because no one going to get that the only one get perfection is god. camera it just technology and it just the same technology the same component ein evry singel camera.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to J Diaz Find More Posts by J Diaz

Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
I would be willing to bet that the photogs using Hasselblad on ANTM are being compensated in some way for the exposure. No proof, just a very educated guess.
While you might be correct there's another thing to consider - a 6x6cm with a Leaf or similar digital back is about the highest resolution digital image that's now commercially available - and I suspect that's the real reason you see most of the fashion/ad photogs that ANTM uses on the show are using the Hassy.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.125.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

interesting observation!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

There are probably a number of reasons that many pro photographers use Hasselblad. As someone else has pointed out you have the much larger sensor which gives you more pixels to work with which can be important in some cases. The square format can have an advantage as it gives the editor who works with the photos more scope in cropping to fit the space of his publication. The faster sync speeds can be very valuable when doing outdoor fill flash on bright days.

In the old days (not that many years ago), there were some other major reasons. When I was doing full time photography in the 70's I looked at Hasselblad but finally went with the RB67 (2 1/4 x 2 3/4). The biggest reasons were that the majority of publications in that era would often not accept 35mm and that you could only get workable Polaroid backs for the medium format or larger cameras. When doing strobe photography the Polaroid back was indispensable for getting the lights positioned and getting the color balanced. So many of the pros have been using medium format for most of their professional lives and when digital came along, they just stayed with medium format. There are less advantages today in using medium format, but you still do have the advantage of a much larger sensor and for critical work that can still make a difference.

Lastly there is still the "prestige" factor which can make a big difference in some arenas. I think, however, that we are in an era of change. I think we're just starting the major revolutions that are transforming photography. So anything is possible in the next few years.

On a final note, I think that if you take a top glamour photographer and allow her to shoot a set of photos of a model in the same scene with the same lights and you give her a top of the line SLR and a top of the line Hasselblad that there will be a discern able difference in the ultimate quality of the resulting photos. But you won't see it at 600x400 on a computer screen!

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 68.59.249.94

I agree with J ( I think ) The high end fashon/ad guys use hassies, the Sports guys use Nikon the portrait guys use Canon or Fuji the wedding guys use Canon the glamour guys ....er shoot with whatever their day job enables them to afford... [grin]

(Just for the record, I shoot D200 with a D70 backup)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.248.119

The biggest advantage to the digital backs is dynamic range. They record in 16 bit color (as opposed to 14 or 12 bits found in 35mm-based cameras) and the pixel elements are much larger. Think of pixel elements as a bucket that holds light instead of water. A bigger bucket can hold more photons without overflowing. In this case, you don't blow your highlights as quickly. Creamier/smoother tones are the result.

As to shooting Hasselblad, right now it's the only fully integrated digital medium format camera system. The lenses are optically fantastic. They give you a three-dimensional look that you need to see to understand. The subject just jumps away from the background. There are no quirks or workarounds on the interface between the back and the camera. Operation is streamlined, allowing the camera to get out of your way and let you be more efficient. For what it's worth, Fuji had an extremely big role in developing the camera itself. They make the body and the lenses (though Hasselblad set up production and quality control to their standards.) Imacon (who bought/merged with Hasselblad) makes the digital backs. The camera and lenses are sold in Japan as Fuji products.

-Chip

Old 03-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobEdens View Post
... the Sports guys use Nikon ....
Not for the past 10-15 years or so (though Nikons were tops until the mid-'90s). Though hardly a scientific poll, count the white lenses at the next football game you watch. Superior optics and faster fps rates have Canon as the mainstay of most sport shooters these days. ;-)

Dave