Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lovely Lauren
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I highly recommend this beautiful VA model. Great to work with and takes directing very well. Incredible reliable and responsible. MM#306410.

Makeup by MD makeup artist donnaflood@yahoo.com

david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Re: Lovely Lauren
Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47062

Dogger is offline IP: 71.194.92.201

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Are you looking for photography or art? If it photography, good Job. If it is art, may I suggest having the subject not stare into the camera. Make it look as if you "captured" her. Not as if you pointed a camera and pushed a button.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dogger Find More Posts by Dogger

Old 03-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.68

Dave - I love the look and the color of these images, but ... I detect a little bit of the old background around her left shoulder indicating to me that you may have manipulated this in Photoshop and gotten a bit sloppy. Happens to me all the time, that's how I can spot it! LOL. Other than that, I like what I see.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogger View Post
Are you looking for photography or art? If it photography, good Job. If it is art, may I suggest having the subject not stare into the camera. Make it look as if you "captured" her. Not as if you pointed a camera and pushed a button.
Dogger,

Welcome to G1. You're obviously new here.

If you look at DaveB's pictures--and there are lots here at G1 to look at--you'll note that he always (or almost always) has his model look directly into the camera. Moreover, Dave does more than a good job. He knows exactly what he is doing, is highly accomplished, and is among the best photographers extant.

Again welcome to G1.

Regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart View Post
Dave - I love the look and the color of these images, but ... I detect a little bit of the old background around her left shoulder indicating to me that you may have manipulated this in Photoshop and gotten a bit sloppy. Happens to me all the time, that's how I can spot it! LOL. Other than that, I like what I see.
I wish I had a clue to to what you're talking about, and on which image, but I don't.

I can assure you that there was no backdrop manipulation whatsoever. One backdrop was one of those foil emergency blankets and the other was a black backdrop with a teal gel.

I don't even use Photoshop, and there was nothing for me to get sloppy about.

Whatever you think you "spotted" because "it happens to you all the time" is a mystery to me.
david@posneg.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Quote:
And what if I WANTED her to be looking into the camera?

So I guess that whenever we as photographers have a model looking into the camera, as you stated above, we simply "pointed a camera and pushed a button?"

I think, regardless of the fact that she's looking into my lens, I certainly DID "capture" her.

Guess I'm pretty damn good at pointing my camera and pushing the button.

Thank god I have universal spirits and forces to light her, meter her, pose her, coordinate the backdrop, provide the makeup guidance, put the modifyers on my lights, create rapport and a comfortable environment....did I miss anything?
david@posneg.com

Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

It's amazing that some people offer to critique without offering any samples of their own work. Dave happens to be an excellent photographer and a mentor to many, very many and I am one of them. It's been a kind of traditional thing to offer a sample of one's work related to the subject of discussion.

Quote:

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57569

TCProd is offline IP: 68.44.114.33

Dave, it looks like you pointed the camera, pushed the button, and captured everything I like about a headshot, especially the second one.

I don't have an online portfolio for you to critique, but I'm hoping to get to a G1 workshop soon to rectify that.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TCProd Visit TCProd's homepage! Find More Posts by TCProd

Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
Thank god I have universal spirits and forces to light her, meter her, pose her, coordinate the backdrop, provide the makeup guidance, put the modifyers on my lights, create rapport and a comfortable environment....did I miss anything?
that ain't art. that's craft. of course, not looking at the camera ain't art either... it's usually fashion, but not always. maybe a couple of more shadows and it would'a been art. keep working on it, Dave. You'll get the hang of this stuff.

P.S. I want some of what Marty's smoking.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd
Last edited by jimmyd; 03-10-2007 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
P.S. I want some of what Marty's smoking.
Thanks for the laugh!!
david@posneg.com