Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What is glamour?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

In a recent post, G1 member mcherry said:

Quote:
The bigger question I ask everyone who posts their "new to glamour" image is the same, why do you consider this to be a glamour shot? What about this image is glamorous to you? I don't consider it to be glam - but that's just my opinion, which really doesn't matter all that much - however, I would venture to say that this does not meet any conventional definition of glamour photography. It's a great photo. You pushed the limits of dynamic range while still maintaining details in the shadows and highlights, etc., etc, but it's not, to my way of thinking, glamour. So I ask you, why do you think it is?
The post is here if you want to see the context of the thread:

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/photo...tml#post246067

He basically poses a question that needs to be answered for all those who post "glamour" images on G1. I think much of what is published may not be "glamour", but that is a question for debate and discussion.

I think we've had the what is glamour question before on the board, and it is a difficult one to get a grasp on. To me, the shot in the linked thread is not glamour but somewhere in the portrait range.

So what is glamour?
To me (my opinion), glamour portrays a human subject in a manner that is sensual or with an air of sexiness and the subject "almost always" looks at the viewer (camera), so that there is eye contact. By this definition most strictly artistic nudes (figure studies) would not be glamour because of the lack of eye contact. They can be sexy, but since they do not involve he viewer (because of no eye contact), they are more remote and in a different class.
It has also been asked why we see few male subjects in glamour. It may be because the audience of most forums of this sort are predominately male where the majority tend to find females to be the sensuous subject. That too is open for discussion.

What do you think?

Here is a shot that I think is an example of glamour. It would be interesting for each one responding to this thread to post a photo that they believe is a good example of glamour:

Click for larger version
What is glamour? 

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: What is glamour?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My post inspired a new thread???

I'm flattered, I guess.

Well, you've seen this before, but for the record this is my thoughts on it:

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/main-...manifesto.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 03-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.117.197

Well I will agree with you and not agree with you. To my mind, the definitive glamour photographer is George Hurrell. An if you look at his pictures, by and large, are a mix of things. Eyecontact varies from picture to picture. So, I believe that eye contact doesn't define glamour. Your picture that you posted I think falls into the broad category of present day glamour, but it really is an inturpetation of what Rockwell might have done. It really isn't pinup. It really isn't glamour, as i see it. It's a great photo, never the less. Glamour to me projects the subject in a manner that one would not find in a natural enviroment that the average person could find themself's. The lighting is dramatic, and it helps if your subject is larger than life, such as a movie star. Some of Hurrell's work leans more toward portrait then glamour in composition, but the lighting makes the subject mystical, magical, something other than your average joe and jane could ever hope to acheive. I think the golden years of Playboy made glamourous shot of their playmate of the month, especially the centerfolds. Glamour is, I think the difference between reality and fantasy. It is both and neither. But, thats just my idea of what glamour is.
But for everyone else, if it isn't a portrait, it must be glamour.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 03-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakins View Post
Well I will agree with you and not agree with you. To my mind, the definitive glamour photographer is George Hurrell. An if you look at his pictures, by and large, are a mix of things. Eyecontact varies from picture to picture. So, I believe that eye contact doesn't define glamour. Your picture that you posted I think falls into the broad category of present day glamour, but it really is an inturpetation of what Rockwell might have done. It really isn't pinup. It really isn't glamour, as i see it. It's a great photo, never the less. Glamour to me projects the subject in a manner that one would not find in a natural enviroment that the average person could find themself's. The lighting is dramatic, and it helps if your subject is larger than life, such as a movie star. Some of Hurrell's work leans more toward portrait then glamour in composition, but the lighting makes the subject mystical, magical, something other than your average joe and jane could ever hope to acheive. I think the golden years of Playboy made glamourous shot of their playmate of the month, especially the centerfolds. Glamour is, I think the difference between reality and fantasy. It is both and neither. But, thats just my idea of what glamour is.
But for everyone else, if it isn't a portrait, it must be glamour.
You read my manifesto didn't you? LOL! You and I are on the same page, but we have to remember that time marches on and that genres evolve. I'm not so much saddened by the change in content that passes for glamour these days as I am by the really ****ty photography....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.117.197

Actually, There wasn't any replies to Mr. Smith's post at the time I started my reply. I hit the send button and saw yours. I did read it, and agree with you completely. I just don't think there is anything glamourous left in the world.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 03-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55130
Comments: 1
My Mood:

J Diaz is offline IP: 68.198.36.165

In my opinion Glamour is the striking physical good looks or sexual impact, when it is enhanced with highly fashionable clothes or makeup and attractiveness of a person, by a combination of beauty .we as a photographer we exposed that beauty.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to J Diaz Find More Posts by J Diaz

Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43624
Comments: 4
Send a message via MSN to numee

numee is offline IP: 65.0.11.100

Just a thought .... are we using the word "glamour" as a noun or verb.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to numee Find More Posts by numee

Old 03-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41572

DBA1 is offline IP: 75.83.59.254

I think this is one of those questions that if you asked 100 glamour photographers "what is glamour" You will get 100 different answers.

To me, glamour is an image that sells sensuality and beauty. It's all about drawing the viewer into a fantasy. There are too many elements to list that make a beautiful glamour image.

One from my last "glamour" shoot..

Rick.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57582

Kevin@rsp is offline IP: 71.50.169.10

Man..my first critique post will never die
Anyway...I think glamour is the eye of the client / model....as to what he or she thinks portrays them in a somewhat ideal manner. Portraying one woman as a bronze princess may not be glamourous to your next client who wishes to be portrayed in a much more subdued possibly gothic type "look". Hope that makes since....I think I have confused myself
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kevin@rsp Find More Posts by Kevin@rsp

Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@rsp View Post
Man..my first critique post will never die
Anyway...I think glamour is the eye of the client / model....as to what he or she thinks portrays them in a somewhat ideal manner. Portraying one woman as a bronze princess may not be glamourous to your next client who wishes to be portrayed in a much more subdued possibly gothic type "look". Hope that makes since....I think I have confused myself
How does it feel to be a catalyst?
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith