Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Woo hooooo!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bigtimebeginner

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.145.37.124

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My wife just told me that I can buy a complete indoor studio lighting set up. Suggestions? Most of you know that I shoot mostly natural lighting outside... A.B.'s look reasonably priced and I see a lot of people say they shoot with them. Shooting area to be converted garage - roughly 20' x 12' What is the consensus? Help!

Re: Woo hooooo!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The Bees will work great, especially for a small garage type studio. For very small studio, the B400 units will be all that one needs. I work in a small studio myself most of the time and often use the Bees. I also use a Novatron power pack (440 ws) and 4 heads which I've been using for 30 years. With 4 of the B400 units you would have 640 WS to play with (and with 4 monolights, they'll be much easier to use than a powerpack based unit) which is more than enough. If you have the budget, consider getting the B800 for larger needs.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608
Comments: 0

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.206.105.169

Can I also recommend pocket wizards. They are pricey, but you will thank me later...even if your wife doesn't :-)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.68

Ditto to what RFS said. The Bees will work great, especially for a small garage type studio. My in-home studio is very small, so the B400 units are all I need. That said, I use two AB400s and one AB1600. Why the AB1600 in a small studio? Two reasons -- first, I have a 36x48" softbox with a 40-degree grid and I need the extra poswer to match my other lights; and second, I like to shoot outdoors and the AB1600 is a good outdoor light. Also, like RFS, I use a Norman P2000-S power pack (400 ws) and 4 heads which I've been using for 25 years.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 03-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Oehler View Post
Can I also recommend pocket wizards. They are pricey, but you will thank me later...even if your wife doesn't :-)
I have the pocket wizards and I use to shoot with them but this is all you need with the bees.

Fraction of the cost

http://www.alienbees.com/rft1.html

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57421
Comments: 2

Erbin is offline IP: 68.10.186.236

I have Photogenic (older units but great), but I also use units like the ones shown on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-180...QQcmdZViewItem

For portraits etc. my units are stringed to five feet. At this distance the e-bay units work great.

Erbin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Erbin Find More Posts by Erbin

Love da Bee's...
Old 03-10-2007, 03:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.80.14

I've been a Bee booster for a number of years. They work great for me. I also use the AB softboxes... a pain to assemble, but if you can leave them assembled, they represent a significant cost savings. The Bee's will also cut you a deal on a package of lights and accessories...

Now about the cheapy radio slaves. Some of them are imported from China without FCC certification. That makes them officially illegal (illegal to import, market, use), and you could be subject to a significant fine if caught using them by the FCC. In reality, the odds of being caught using them is considerably less than the odds of winning the Megamillions lotto. Some I've seen are very well made and work well, but if they don't have an FCC label... The FCC has fined one dealer who was peddling Chinese units on eBay.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 03-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39640

CaptainKen is offline IP: 71.218.12.127

I have 4 elinchrom mono lights 3 Style 600 rx and 1 1200 Style rx. I believe these are a step above the bees and have digital power adjustments that allow me to adjust the lights in .1 stop increments instead of moving a slider. Also they are supposed to have a relativity stable temperature through out their power range. I bought the 1200 watt light so I could over power the sun. Although I'm pleased with elimchrom I would consider Hensel if I were doing it all over again for the simple reason they have a radio control that allows you to adjust the power remotely. At least I believe I read that some where. When you get a light up on a boom it is a little bit of a pain to lower the light so you can adjust it's power. That's one advantage a pack would have over a mono light but I wanted to be able to separate the light's and not be limited by the length of the power cable.
Your welcome to use the lights I have if you find yourself in Denver before you make your decision. Just as important as which light you use is what light modifier your going to use.
Ken
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CaptainKen Find More Posts by CaptainKen

Old 03-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.45.168

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKen View Post
I have 4 elinchrom mono lights 3 Style 600 rx and 1 1200 Style rx. I believe these are a step above the bees and have digital power adjustments that allow me to adjust the lights in .1 stop increments instead of moving a slider. Also they are supposed to have a relativity stable temperature through out their power range. I bought the 1200 watt light so I could over power the sun. Although I'm pleased with elimchrom I would consider Hensel if I were doing it all over again for the simple reason they have a radio control that allows you to adjust the power remotely. At least I believe I read that some where. When you get a light up on a boom it is a little bit of a pain to lower the light so you can adjust it's power. That's one advantage a pack would have over a mono light but I wanted to be able to separate the light's and not be limited by the length of the power cable.
Your welcome to use the lights I have if you find yourself in Denver before you make your decision. Just as important as which light you use is what light modifier your going to use.
Ken
Elinchrom announced a radio system at last year's Photokina - it should be arriving about now. On RX lights it provides the ability to adjust the light remotely, either from the transmitter on the camera (control buttons), or from a laptop (USB transceiver). I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

Please excuse the off-topic post.