Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Melissa from Super Shoots Peoria
Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366
Comments: 0

eoym is offline IP: 24.118.115.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just wanted to share a few photos of Melissa with ya all.
I posted some of a different girl a few weeks ago and got not such great response...maybe you'll like these better!?
:-)

Shot at Peoria SuperShoots II
Model; Melissa
Make-up and Hair by Kate Carroll.

View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Re: Melissa from Super Shoots Peoria
Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.114.144.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Good lookin stuff Dean...she's a beauty...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 03-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
I posted some of a different girl a few weeks ago and got not such great response...maybe you'll like these better!?
:-)

It's often difficult to decide whether to comment on a post of several photos because sometime we are not sure whether the photographer wants comments about the model, or about the photographs, or what? This is a case in point. Are you wanting or expecting a critique of the photos or just an appreciation of the beautiful model?

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.213

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
It's often difficult to decide whether to comment on a post of several photos because sometime we are not sure whether the photographer wants comments about the model, or about the photographs, or what? This is a case in point. Are you wanting or expecting a critique of the photos or just an appreciation of the beautiful model?

Cheers,
rfs
rfs,

with humor.....
Sometimes I wonder about the same thing when you post your collages.

jt
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 03-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith View Post
rfs,

with humor.....
Sometimes I wonder about the same thing when you post your collages.

jt
The reasons I responded to the original post, was due to the comment about not getting a great response to a previous post of photos. I'm always full of critiques of posted photos (as everyone know by now ). I also like critiques of photos I post. Of course, a collage usually means one wants a critique about the collage itself, rather than each image in it. I have a rule that each collage has to have at least one photo in it with something that someone can call me to task on.

Since EOYM posted 4 photos, and I felt they all had problems, I wanted to know for sure that he wanted comments on them before sharing my ideas about the images.

Anyway, since you mention collages, I'll have to post one for you:

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.77.239

Wow! Triplets! Cool!

So..where's the collage??
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 03-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
The reasons I responded to the original post, was due to the comment about not getting a great response to a previous post of photos. I'm always full of critiques of posted photos (as everyone know by now ). I also like critiques of photos I post. Of course, a collage usually means one wants a critique about the collage itself, rather than each image in it. I have a rule that each collage has to have at least one photo in it with something that someone can call me to task on.

Since EOYM posted 4 photos, and I felt they all had problems, I wanted to know for sure that he wanted comments on them before sharing my ideas about the images.

Anyway, since you mention collages, I'll have to post one for you:

Cheers,
rfs
Lots of people post photos here, it's not that uncommon. Sometimes photos get responses and sometimes not so much.
It is what it is.
But go ahead and tell me of the problems you see. I don't pretend my photos are perfect.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 03-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Well its review time!

It's easy to just say, "great shots" and/or "great model", but that rarely really does much for the overall all goal that all of us have as photographers, and that is to advance our work to the next level.

I think the four photos have some good things going for them such as crisp lighting, a pretty model, good makeup and and interesting setting that has good potential.

But I think in general that there were details about the setting that tended to distract from the overall impact of the photo.

Photo #1 is the most obvious example of this situation. First there is the tilt of the photo that makes it look odd and adds nothing to the photo but just calls attention to itself. The slant of the window is particularly evident and because it is directly behind the model (and in particular her head), it forms a compositional element that leads the eye to it rather than the model. There is also a general clutter in the scene such as the silver flashlight on the table and the brown and white blocks behind the model. I think these look out of place. I like the way the lighting was done to include the ambient light from the table lamp, but I wonder about the consistency of the light. Since outside of the window is black, we assume that the scene would be lit by ordinary interior light. But the light on the model is not consistent with the light provided by the lamp. In other words it looks like strobe lighting of a ambient lit room. For a glamour shot to really work in a "normal" setting, one likes to see the light on the model and the scene believable for the scene. The pose of the model is also a bit off, in my view. She looks uncomfortable and is slouching a little, probably due to leaning slightly forward with her hands on her knees. The seated position coupled with this slight lean forward tends to make the legs flatten out a bit and thus does not portray them as well as they could be shown.

Photo #2 as many of the same setting issues such as the lantern, the stove pipe and the brightness of the lamp above her head that all work against concentration on the model. Also cropping issues.

Photo #3 has the same lamp problem as the other two but the pose seems more relaxed.

Photo #4 gets rid of the distracting elements by zooming in on the model, but the position of the upper arm seems awkward to me.

So, given that scene and the model, I think a lot more could have been done with it. One thing would be to match the light closer to the ambient light and to do something about the speculars that appear on the sofa (a tricky issue, but one that would improve the photos).

Given that these shot were made in a workshop environment, it is often difficult to control all of the issues that I've been noting. But it would make a good excercise to show those in attendance how settings can be re-arranged for maximum impact and lighting can be matched to a setting.

Anyway, I hope there is something of use here, and if nothing else it gets out of the rut of the "great shot" method of critiquing photos that we all often find ourselves getting in to.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 03-02-2007 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks for the in-depth and well thought critque RFS.

About photo 1.
I agree that the window behind her is distracting. I noticed that right away and moved my position so as to minimize that problem.
but I disagree with you when you say the pose is uncomfortable...I like her pose in that photo.

And let's look at the third photo and discuss the tilt of the camera.
Look at it and try to visualize what would have happened with that shot had I not tilted the camera....I would have had to back way off in order not to crop off her feet. I wanted a tight shot and I wanted all of her in it.
I like camera tilt, though I do agree that with all the lines in this room, from the logs, the drapes...etc, did cause problems.
And yes, there are many objects in this setting...that's what a setting is.
Would it have been better in your view had I shot this with the background black? I could have...there was really no ambient light to speak of. All the light you see in the photos, except for the small table lamp, was provided by two strobes (fitted with umbrellas) and a reflector. I would have loved to have had some ambient light to work with...that wasn't the case here at all.

You also mentioned that I should have done something about the specular highlights on the couch, I actually like them! What exactly do you not like about them?...and what would you do to get rid of them?
Difference in taste I guess.
I almost feel like you were just trying a little too hard to find things not to like, but that's ok. To each his own.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42806

vsrdan is offline IP: 72.129.182.228

Sperb!

Just my opinion: If the colors were different, may be, it might have made a big difference. I am talking about the color of the couch vs. color of the lingerie.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photo36/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vsrdan Visit vsrdan's homepage! Find More Posts by vsrdan
Last edited by vsrdan; 03-02-2007 at 09:14 PM..