Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
New on the newstands...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.255.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I usually avoid mentioning new photography books, magazines, etc., on the forum now. Too much flak from some diehard purist professional shooters. But what the heck...

The recent trend to encapsulate magazines in plastic wrappers when they contain even a minimal amount of nudity has made browsing the newstands a real pain. Either you find a newstand where the shopkeeper looks the other way when people unwrap a sample of potential purchases, or you may take home a pig in a poke...

Here's some you won't have to sneakily unwrap. I'll tell you what they are...

New on the stands is a photography magazine called One Hundred Women. Basically, it's 100 shots of models in pretty much the same pose (standing facing camera) shot by eight different photographers using different lighting of their choice. It's a well produced book with minimal ads, and excellent production. The only photographer I readily recognized is Marc Baptiste. There are a few tastefully done topless shots. It's pricy at $14.99, but it is interesting. They have a website, but there's nothing there but an order form at the moment.

The New Nude is photographer Peter Hegre's venture into magazine publishing. You may have seen some of his books; his book collection of photos of his wife sold very well around the world. I've seen two issues of this magazine, and it seemed pretty uneven to me. When you concentrate on such a narrow subject, sometimes you wind up reaching a bit for material. However, it does have work by a variety of photographers, book reviews, some equipment reviews, etc. Again, the newstand copies are in the $15 range. You'll find the magazine's web page with a Google search.

S Magazine is yet another new image magazine on the newstands. I think it's quarterly, and published in a Scandanavian country. It's oversize, about 9 by 12 inches, and contains photo essays with a lot of nudity. The last issue I saw had many photos from the new Rankin book (To be fair so did The New Nude). Strangely, this magazine seems to wind up on the woman's magazines rack at Borders for some reason. This one really impressed me with its production standards, the printing is excellent. If you haven't seen this one, it's definitely worth making the effort to find it. The next issue should be out sometime in April. And can you guess what the price is... correcto! $15 range.

And just for kicks, if you haven't picked up the latest Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, what's holding you back? If you really don't want to part with $7, go to SI.com and see the swimsuits, but hey, this is an American tradition now, it's almost unpatriotic not to browse it. They even have some 3-D images this year. Sadly, the TV special fell far short of past years, and as near as I can determine was only shown one time late at night after an NBA all-star special.

Oh, and there is another collection of FHM girly pictures out on the stand. Since the American version of the magazine has shut down, this may be one of the last times to catch the USA girls who appeared in the magazine. I did notice Breanne Ashley had a couple of pictures in this collection as she made it the the finals of their contest. $10.

Oops... Forgot one I was going to mention. This month's (magazine's cover month December) French Photo is definitely worth a browse even if you're not a Kate Moss fan. Lots of images from the top modeling agencies girls... Well, I can dream can't I. About $6.

I have no connection to these publications, I don't work for any book seller, I just browse the newstands a lot. My opinions are just that, you may or may not agree. That's what keeps life interesting.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak
Last edited by Al_Nowak; 02-25-2007 at 10:30 PM..

Re: New on the newstands...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270
Comments: 0

Dax is offline IP: 74.225.173.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
[font=Arial]S Magazine is yet another new image magazine on the newstands. I think it's quarterly, and published in a Scandanavian country. It's oversize, about 9 by 12 inches, and contains photo essays with a lot of nudity. The last issue I saw had many photos from the new Rankin book (To be fair so did The New Nude). Strangely, this magazine seems to wind up on the woman's magazines rack at Borders for some reason. This one really impressed me with its production standards, the printing is excellent. If you haven't seen this one, it's definitely worth making the effort to find it. The next issue should be out sometime in April. And can you guess what the price is... correcto! $15 range.
I love this magazine... I think is about a year and a half or two years old, I have the past 4 issues. Each issue has a theme and a different name.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax