Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A shot of Hollie (Not Holley :) )
Old 02-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 52513
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to TJPhotoGuy

TJPhotoGuy is offline IP: 207.71.25.66

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First shot I've looked at from a session with Hollie, a very sweet girl just starting out, makeup by Roccio. The lighting/etc. was a beauty lighting setup I use a lot:

As usual, CC&C welcome, thanks
  View Public Profile Visit TJPhotoGuy's homepage! Find More Posts by TJPhotoGuy

Re: A shot of Hollie (Not Holley :) )
Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52576
My Mood:

TheGoldy is offline IP: 198.188.145.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Wow! Talk about being drawn to the eyes!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TheGoldy Find More Posts by TheGoldy

Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.40.231.127

I am drawn to the eyes but then I am overwelmed by all the hot spots. I think it would be stonger if it were toned down just a little.

ScottClick for larger version

Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56628

tok1 is offline IP: 72.187.61.20

ok with the hotspots- but would add a reflector from below to remove the eyelash/eyebrow shadows. Those are distracting.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tok1 Find More Posts by tok1

Old 02-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tok1 View Post
ok with the hotspots- but would add a reflector from below to remove the eyelash/eyebrow shadows. Those are distracting.

This shot was creatively overexposed, so I don't see any "hot shot" on her face etc, and it was a beauty shot focusing on the face. The goal of this shoot was a starter portfolio so we wanted at least one good beauty shot and one good body shot.

Unfortunately, I agree about the rope; it was pretty reflective and shiny and got overexposed a bit much. Not sure how I could have possible gotten both the way I wanted them to turn out. But for an aspiring model who needs at least a few beauty shots this one did focus on her facial features pretty well.

As for the shadows on the eyelashes, to me those are fine here, I see slight shadows like that in beauty shots like this sometimes in avon catalogues etc.

Thanks for the critique guys! HEre's a full body:

Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37080

grumblecat is offline IP: 67.172.175.216

I have to say I am not loving the blown out portions of her forhead and her right cheek, possibly a style thing but if that is the case I would have liked to see a bit more consistency on them. But my bigger question is did you shoot this from any other angles? I'm not 100% sure this is her best angle, her ears look a touch lopsided and her nose looks a bit pinched from this angle, I don't think it is an issue with her looks but possibly just not the perfect angle for her to have this shot.

gary roberts
My Website
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grumblecat Visit grumblecat's homepage! Find More Posts by grumblecat

Old 02-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblecat View Post
I have to say I am not loving the blown out portions of her forhead and her right cheek,
Actually those aren't blown out at all. Blown out means no detail in the highlights, as is the case in some parts of the rope, and all over the image you posted above that you took, especially all over the shirt; her shirt is completely blown out, and all around her head where there is very little or no detail at all:

That's overblown. Mine is creatively overexposed but, except for some parts of the rope, there is detail on her face most everywhere, otherwise it would look all "blown out white" like the image you posted.

Quote:
did you shoot this from any other angles? I'm not 100% sure this is her best angle, her ears look a touch lopsided and her nose looks a bit pinched from this angle, I don't think it is an issue with her looks but possibly just not the perfect angle for her to have this shot.
Although I do think this is a pretty good angle for her because it shows her cute nose and great facial features and fantastic eyes, I tend to agree about the ears, that was one of the flaws in the photo that I saw also.

Thanks for the commments...

Old 02-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

As I take a second look I think I know the source of much of what is off about it for me. The shot is so straight on that the fact your main light is off of the center axis by a couple of degrees makes a difference. I think if your main was centered over her face instead of like what a foot to camera left? I think that might make a difference on how the highlights are showing. It is really that drastic difference between her right and left cheek that jumps out at me first.

gary roberts
My Website
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grumblecat Visit grumblecat's homepage! Find More Posts by grumblecat

Old 02-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
As I take a second look I think I know the source of much of what is off about it for me. The shot is so straight on that the fact your main light is off of the center axis by a couple of degrees makes a difference.
Actually no that wasn't the case.... I think what it is is the angle I shot it at. If I had it to do over again i would have made sure the ears were all good in it; again that's a flaw and a hit I'll take on this one. But no your analysis of the lighting isn't on point actually.

Quote:
I think if your main was centered over her face instead of like what a foot to camera left? I think that might make a difference on how the highlights are showing.
If metered correctly, "where" a light is positioned shouldn't blow anything out. Again look at your own photo to see overblown highlights all over the place.

Quote:
It is really that drastic difference between her right and left cheek that jumps out at me first.
I wasn't going for "symmetry" here - I wanted some difference between the two. This was a beauty shot showcasing the facial features... I just didn't quite hit the nail on the head with the ears

Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPhotoGuy View Post
Actually no that wasn't the case.... I think what it is is the angle I shot it at. If I had it to do over again i would have made sure the ears were all good in it; again that's a flaw and a hit I'll take on this one. But no your analysis of the lighting isn't on point actually.
Wow interesting because looking at the catchlights in her eyes really looks like a main source high and slightly left and a secondary fill source low and just a bit right. I can usually read catchlights well but possibly those are not the original catchlights.

Quote:
If metered correctly, "where" a light is positioned shouldn't blow anything out. Again look at your own photo to see overblown highlights all over the place.
I never mentioned blown highlights, I said the highlights were different, I think you would agree that the highlight on her right cheek is brighter than that on her left. As is the highlight on he forhead brighter than the left side of her face.

As to my image the jacket is blown to high heaven, I'll wholeheartedly agree, much of that was intentional and of less consequence to me because the focus to me was on the eyes of the photo. But I won't debate the blown highlights. Her face doesn't completely blow out anywhere though it is overexposed, the original photo wasn't but in processing I pushed it that way, again a personal style issue. Her jacket was of no consequence to me, I wasn't selling that I was selling her eyes. But you are correct I blew out the highlights, I appreciate you pointing that out.

Quote:
I wasn't going for "symmetry" here - I wanted some difference between the two. This was a beauty shot showcasing the facial features... I just didn't quite hit the nail on the head with the ears
I understand what you were going for now and I see that part of it is a personal preference difference. If I were that close to symmetrical lighting I would have gone for full symmetry, when I want some modeling I tend to have a touch more contrast, just personal preference, so I can see your point. So that is one of those just we see things differently sorts of issues, not right or wrong, I am just a huge fan of symmetry so the closer an image comes to symmetry the more I yearn for it to be symmetrical.

gary roberts
My Website