Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What camera should I get?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57579
Comments: 0

SomeGuyWithuhCamera is offline IP: 65.29.128.87

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello everyone

I came across this website a few years ago because of all the professional photographers who post here. I have always been a lurker, but I thought I'd finally join the forum.

My first question is: What camera should I get in order to be a great photographer?

Thanks in advance!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SomeGuyWithuhCamera Find More Posts by SomeGuyWithuhCamera

Re: What camera should I get?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyWithuhCamera View Post
Hello everyone

I came across this website a few years ago because of all the professional photographers who post here. I have always been a lurker, but I thought I'd finally join the forum.

My first question is: What camera should I get in order to be a great photographer?

Thanks in advance!
There are three possible answers to this...

The first, assuming that you're deadly serious in this question is: "Why, you should buy the camera system I have for sale, of course! It'll make you a great photographer in an instant! Send me a check for thousands of dollars, and I'll send you my camera system!"

The second answer, assuming that you're a troll, is: "None - no camera will ever make you a great photographer, so why try?"

The third answer, assuming that neither of the above answers is appropriate, is: "Buy a camera that works, learn how to use it, and then make great photographs. Asking what camera to buy is like asking what car to buy. They all get you from point A to point B - some faster, some slower, some in great style, and some just barely. Your mileage may vary."

Old 02-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.11.14

Quote:
I have always been a lurker
Really? Have you been paying attention? Nobody here has been making any statements that owning a particular brand of camera makes them a great photographer. If they have and I have missed it, then I am justified in ignoring them any way. Take a look in the galleries and portfolios. Can you tell what brand of camera was used to take the great shots? (Hint: You can't.) While you are trying to figure out which shot was taken with which brand, keep in mind that for every great shot here taken with Brand X, there is an equally horrible shot taken with the same gear by someone else.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 02-21-2007, 04:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.22.175

Quote:
Hello everyone

Thanks in advance!
No camera will make you a great photographer.

Any camera will help you become a better photographer, because the way you get better is to take photographs. Lots of photographs. Study the photographs you take, and work out why they feel good or bad. If you have the courage, post some photos, and ask for critique. Brace yourself, because not everyone is kind, but you are likely to get some really helpful comments. *(Some of them may only seem helpful later, possibly much later!)

If you haven't used a camera before, get something simple that you can understand quickly, and start taking photos. Buy a better camera when you understand what you need that the current camera doesn't do.

DO NOT buy the most expensive camera you can afford, especially if you . You won't learn anything if you can't make the camera work, or if it's such hard work that you don't bother trying, or if the camera is so expensive you are afraid to break it.

Oh, and to break the hearts of the old fogeys who always say "you have to start with film, and shoot manual, or you'll never learn properly" - forget that - shoot digital, and shoot lots of it - you will learn much faster if you shoot a heap of photos, then study them to see what's different, what works, and what doesn't. Digitial lets you have instant feedback (much better than film).

You need to learn what kind of images you want to take, then consider what kind of camera might help you take those. THEN look into the technicalities of the process.

If you find you like shooting birds in the wild, then look into really long lenses (and mortgages to afford them!). If you find you like shooting caterpillars, then look into macro lenses. If you want to shoot sports, look into really fast lenses. If you find you like shooting glamour, then maybe look into studio lighting.

HTH

Old 02-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57390
Comments: 1

kennymc is offline IP: 81.104.158.205

As stated, NO camera makes a good photographer...
BUT, If you want a good camera go for one that is comfortable in your hands and has at least 6MP...

Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

Buy a Hasselblad H3D-31 You will automatically get great award winning photos, you will be hired as senior photographer by any magazine you want, super models will call you 3 or 4 times a day to shoot with you, AND you'll get better gas mileage and replenish the ozone layer.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945

epeters is offline IP: 65.193.202.162

The only rule of photography is: "If you want to end up with a little money, start out with
a lot of money."..

Old 02-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.11.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
super models will call you 3 or 4 times a day to shoot with you
Liar. Supermodels only call me twice a day. I'm taking that damn Hasselblad back and buying a REAL camera. Maybe a Holga.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobArtLyn View Post
Liar. Supermodels only call me twice a day. I'm taking that damn Hasselblad back and buying a REAL camera. Maybe a Holga.
If it's still under warranty I'd send it back,you might have a worn down super model caller chip.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38112

telcoman is offline IP: 64.199.49.245

OK, by now you've got the point the you phrased your question incorrectly. Photography skills are learned and developed and if you're like me you'll still suck after speniding 10's of thousands.

Part of the selection process of choosing a camera is how much can you afford? Get good glass. That doesn't mean you have to spend top dollar but there is quality glass at an affordable price range.

I don't think you get to be a vendor in the current DSLR market without a good product. You're gonna have to do some research though and determine what manufacture/model offer you what you need in your price range.