Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Final Data Recovery Update/Help Request
Old 02-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.114.144.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

UPDATE...UPDATE....UPDATE....
Well I have good news and bad news...It looks like the drive itself is not bad, but it appears there is a corrupted file on the drive. I have been able to move most of my stuff over to the new 500 gig drive. BUT, the files most important, the Guns and Gals shoot 1 that were fully processed..well when I tried to move them, they disappeared into...well I don't know where. The folder they were in transferred...and 7 images made the switch...the rest are just gone. I have done a search on every folder, drive, desktop I have...nada...vanished into thin air.
Now heres the big problem...the ORIGINALS from this shoot appear to have a corrupt file in it and I have the file narrowed down (i think)....every time I try and COPY that folder with the original raw files in it...the hard drive crashes...IMMEDIATELY...I am certain its a corrupted file...
Here is my question (this has happened once before but my IT guy removed the corrupt file)...does ANYONE know how to remove a file that when you click on it or highlight it causes the drive to crash?? If I am not clear can someone please email me a number I can call to you to discuss...
My email bobbygphoto@gmail.com

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: Final Data Recovery Update/Help Request
Old 02-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 130.13.58.74

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Bobby,

I'm not an IT or Computer professional but it sounds very much like you have a virus and you need to deal with that, if you can, before you start transfering files or you will put your entire system at risk.

Please keep us advised as to the resolution of this situation. Good luck.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46114

dledeaux is offline IP: 70.244.248.134

It sounds more like a bad block on the drive.

At this point its important to tread very carefully and weigh options.

The first thing is to try and move each file individually out of that folder to another drive. Once you get to the file(s) that is causing problems, skip over it and keep moving the other ones.

You might want to try using a program like this: http://www.active-undelete.com/ to get to the lost files.

The last thing to try is a check disk. Right click on the drive, click properties, go to tools, check now, put a check box in both boxes and click start. This will probably wipe out any chance of ever recovering the lost files if they were recoverable, but may allow you to get to the raw files if you can't access them at all. Bear in mind there may be more than one bad file, and if it sits on a bad block it may be permanently corrupted.

Then scrap the drive. Don't try to use it anymore. Corrupt files don't usually cause mechanical failure. Mechanical failure causes corrupt files. What you're experiencing is a symptom of another problem.

You can usually reuse the external case by sticking another drive in there, but just throw the drive away (or see if its still under warranty).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dledeaux Visit dledeaux's homepage! Find More Posts by dledeaux

Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35516

JamesC is offline IP: 72.191.207.172

Norton and McAffee do not remove everything. One virus I got was removable only by XoftSpy.

My son lost many of his .jpg s to some unknown virus that McAffee did not catch.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JamesC Find More Posts by JamesC

Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.68

Quote:
The first thing is to try and move each file individually out of that folder to another drive. Once you get to the file(s) that is causing problems, skip over it and keep moving the other ones.
I agree with the above process. I had a bad Microdrive and once I was able to identify the bad file, I immediately copied all the good files (one by one) to another drive, skipping over the bad file.

If you've completely lost a folder or many files, try an undelete program --- just remember that many undelete programs find lost files and restore them without a file extension. You'll need to add the .JPG or .NEF or whatever file format you were shooting in order to open the file. You might also use the undelete program on your CF card if you haven't already written over the entire card.

Good luck,
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 02-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.23.181.251

Quote:
This is what I would do if it is possible.

Quote:
does ANYONE know how to remove a file that when you click on it or highlight it causes the drive to crash??
I don't know what operating system you have, but if you can use the SEARCH for files function, and you know which file it is, (name and extension),..MAYBE, you can delete it there?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC